ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Newest U660E transmission TSIB

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 01:22 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

until the TSB is posted.. i would not bet on heresay...

also, lets make sure it works.. if it doesn't i am gonna slap the crap out of the guy sitting next to me at work.. no joke... hehehe.. jk

lets pray it works...

CHEERS...
Old 05-19-07, 06:11 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the 2007 Camry V6 TSB page 1
Attached Thumbnails Newest U660E transmission TSIB-tsba.jpg  
Old 05-19-07, 06:14 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

This is the 2007 Camry V6 TSB describing the repair procedure
Attached Thumbnails Newest U660E transmission TSIB-tsbb.jpg  
Old 05-19-07, 09:22 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Thank you for the post... lets CROSS our fingers that it works...
Old 05-20-07, 06:08 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

After reading the TSIB I'll join AMF in his skepticism. I don't see it working at all to solve the transmission issues, particularly 2 to 3 upshift, but 3 to 4 as well and certainly not without adding some annoying shift characteristics. It seems it may handle the harsh downshift episodes because the trans can be and should be instructed on that and it may address lag time between adding gas and actual acceleration though it is not specifically stated to resolve that.

Item # 11 is noteworthy, it should firmly state/include keeping the car overnight because many of us have had the car cold soak for 4 hours after the first start/trip it in the am and it did not slip. It should not leave repair confirmation instruction at simply cold soak for 4 hours.

Item #13 is also noteworthy because we already know the failure rate of 2nd transmissions is so high.

This implies you could ignore steps up to #13 by simply replacing the transmission and we know this is not solving the problems.
Old 05-20-07, 09:55 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Item # 11 is noteworthy, it should firmly state/include keeping the car overnight because many of us have had the car cold soak for 4 hours after the first start/trip it in the am and it did not slip. It should not leave repair confirmation instruction at simply cold soak for 4 hours.

Item #13 is also noteworthy because we already know the failure rate of 2nd transmissions is so high.

This implies you could ignore steps up to #13 by simply replacing the transmission and we know this is not solving the problems.
We'll see how this TSB works out, I was stammering reflash last October and met with a lot of skeptics... If the transaxle is still being called for replacement this means Toyota figured they had/have a mechanical issue in some but the reflash will sove others electronically... In essence there's two potential issues being solved, mechanically and electronically but all the confusion has stuff all over the place.

Anyway, Bob on #11 I believe you're not reading it correctly, for a car to "cold soak" for 4 hours means it already needs to be cold before it can "soak." I know confusing, but basically what they're saying is let the car sit 4 hours once it's cold. As for #13, see above... There's probably 3 variants of the issue floating around...

1. Needs just a reflash
2. Needs just a new transaxle
3. Needs a transaxle and a reflash

I know for sure there were mechanical/design changes made throughout the year, depending on what configuration some folks transmissions are now from the "fixes" it could take different combinations to solve folk's issues.

I wonder about the fellas who say they're cars work just fine... I wonder whether they'll be looking to get the reflash to fix their non-existent problems????
Old 05-20-07, 10:08 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
I wonder about the fellas who say they're cars work just fine... I wonder whether they'll be looking to get the reflash to fix their non-existent problems????
Are you kidding? After all my experiences with flashing and reflashing, I definitely wouldn't do it, unless I heard from other users that did it and were completely satisfied. At the moment though, I'm completely satisfied with my tranny.....No flaring, so I don't consider doing anything that might upset the shifting characteristics. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 05-20-07, 10:27 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Not sure that software can prevent a transmission from slipping. It is a mechanical issue.

The firmware most likely mitigates the issue by playing tricks with the shifts points/RPM's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the flares become lags.
Old 05-20-07, 10:31 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Not sure that software can prevent a transmission from slipping. It is a mechanical issue.

The firmware most likely mitigates the issue by playing tricks with the shifts points/RPM's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the flares become lags.
This is exactly what happened with the flashes on the '02-'06 ES's.
Old 05-20-07, 10:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Are you kidding? After all my experiences with flashing and reflashing, I definitely wouldn't do it, unless I heard from other users that did it and were completely satisfied. At the moment though, I'm completely satisfied with my tranny.....No flaring, so I don't consider doing anything that might upset the shifting characteristics. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Same situation here. I wouldn't even consider a reflash. "If it ain't broke.....".
Old 05-20-07, 10:33 AM
Gumball
Driver School Candidate

Default If it works, don't fix it

I hope to heck that the reflash works for all the folks who continue to have transmission issues.

My car continues to work according to specs.

There is always that undercurrent among our negative poster brethern that those of us without problems are just to dumb to notice the obvious. There is enough arrogance to go around in this forum, I suggest we drop that line.

No I am not having my car reflashed unless the transmission doesn't continue to function as it has.

I am a great believer in the axiom 'if it's working - don't fix it'.

I traded a BMW 545i for the ES 350 and it had won the state prize for number of reflashes. After a reflash, my experience is that there is often an 'oops'. Something that worked fine before doesn't after the reflash.
Old 05-20-07, 11:06 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2004 Lincoln LS went through numerous reflashes under warranty. But, it somehow "relearned" jerky shifting after a few thousand miles. Our replacement transmission still working good after 3,000 miles.
Old 05-20-07, 11:43 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
This is exactly what happened with the flashes on the '02-'06 ES's.
Amen....same on the Sienna 3.3L we once owned.

My car does not flare and I ain't going to have the flash completed. Not after what happened to our Sienna.
Old 05-20-07, 07:35 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Technically you'd be incorrect. An automatic transmission sips when there is insuffecient friction between the currently engaged packs of clutches.
In the case of any OBD-II modern era transmission. The transmission fluid pressure is set soley by the ECU. They are no longer linked to throttle position, or manifold vacuum to refferance how much fluid pressure there should be.

If somebody wanted to stop all the slipping, all they'd have to do is choke that line-pressure solenoid down & the transmission would hold that gear as hard as it is physically able without modification, or changing the type of fluid used in the transmission. (Different fluids have different friction levels.)
Sooooo. If they give suffecient line pressure during the shift to hold the clutches together. Then the clutches will not shift. The trade-off in doing so is that the shift is quicker & firmer.

I've always thought it was a problem with the line pressure, either the mechanical parts in the valve body, or the governing code behind the line pressure solenoid.
The simple fact is that the transmissions are only slipping right when the shifts are engaged, yet noone has complained of them slipping at wide open throttle, high torque, and high-loads.
That tells me that there is suffecient line pressure *if* they want to use it!

None of that means that've fixed anything. But I do honestly believe they have the ability to do it if they want too... Just up the line pressure until it stops. The onyl question would be if the typical Lexus owner would put up with a proper shift instead of a lazy *** one.
Old 05-20-07, 07:51 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Hey Pheonix-

Why don't you tell the Lexus mechanical designers how to eliminate these problems?

Quick Reply: Newest U660E transmission TSIB