ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Newest U660E transmission TSIB

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 07:05 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
The simple fact is that the transmissions are only slipping right when the shifts are engaged, yet noone has complained of them slipping at wide open throttle, high torque, and high-loads.
That tells me that there is suffecient line pressure *if* they want to use it!

The onyl question would be if the typical Lexus owner would put up with a proper shift instead of a lazy *** one.

There is some in gear slipping which we called shudder, it results in driving along as though you repeatedly have a slight clog in the fuel line, only it's not the engine or fuel flow, it's the transmission, as though it engages and let's go and engages again fairly rapidly and consistently.

As for who would tolerate it as it is, rather than get it addressed, there are a few people it seems who will tolerate it and discount it to point of no big deal for them as though it is somehow acceptable to have it in any car regardless of price point.
Old 05-21-07, 06:06 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

You can't make an A/T shift fast enough, or hard enough for me.
If they'd up the line pressure, that'll up the holding power. You'd eliminate the slipping. Somebody could do the same thing manually by modifying the valve body itself.
Old 05-21-07, 06:39 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pheonix
You can't make an A/T shift fast enough, or hard enough for me.
If they'd up the line pressure, that'll up the holding power. You'd eliminate the slipping. Somebody could do the same thing manually by modifying the valve body itself.
Have you driven an 04 or newer Acura TL? I am not one who races cars, but that is the best auto tranny I have ever driven, especially under hard acceleration.
Old 05-22-07, 07:56 AM
kchristian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking my ES350 with new tranny in today for overnight wait and check in the AM. Flare was clearly apparent within a couple days of getting it back from the dealer. I'll keep everyone posted on results.

ES350 was purchased 7/6/06, Production Date 6/1/06
Noticed issue early on but didn't initiate first check on tranny issue until 9300 miles.
Got replacement.
Current mileage - 9500 miles
Old 05-22-07, 09:07 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Ouch K. That sucks!
MD I have not. Unfortunately v6 Honda transaxles were always alittle too weak, with too high a failure rate for me to consider owning one, or advising friends to own. That means nothing about the 2007's so don't get me wrong! I just wrote off the Honda v6's a good while back until they were proven more reliable. I was interested in test driving the TL when they got their last big generation redesign, but other things came up.

It's sorta like this with me. The Toyota v6 transaxles (since the 5-speed U series)... They're finiky with deciding & changing gears. The new ones, they slip,etc... - Both outrageously annoying, but neither one is probably going to cause a catostrophic failure of the transmission, atleast under warranty.
The Honda v6 transaxles. Yaaaaa they've had problems with them flat out failing for like 9 years now? Since the 1998 generation came out. And Honda v6's don't have the torque curve Nissan & Toyota v6's have to put up with.
So I've always sorta shyed away from them.

AFA firm shifting A/T's. Until you change your valve-body you have no idea about how an automatic should shift when you hit the go-pedal.
Give IPT a call & send them a $600 check LoL! Drop that 1/4 mile time of yours by half a second atleast. Nothing but adjusting how the transmission shifts.
Stock automatics are always slow, but nothings faster accelleration wise than a built automatic. *Especialy* with a properly setup torque convertor. Not manuals, not sequential manuals.

We're alittle off-topic tho. Anyone gotten a re-flash yet?
Old 05-22-07, 02:57 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Took my 2007 Camry V6 to the dealer today and showed them the new TSB that came out 5/17/07 calling for a re-flash with new firmware before doing a transaxle replacement.
Also showed them video of my once after each engine start 3rd-4th shift slip (flare).
I have an appointment to get re-flashed with the new firmware on Tuesday 5/29.
Will report how it turns out.
Old 05-23-07, 10:35 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

As for who would tolerate it as it is, rather than get it addressed, there are a few people it seems who will tolerate it and discount it to point of no big deal for them as though it is somehow acceptable to have it in any car regardless of price point.

I have 02 ES300... the tranny thing doesnt drive me nuts. Im fine with it. But I cant believe that the 07s have a similar tranny shift problem. I am looking into trading/selling my ES300 and perhaps purchasing the 350. I think I will look into the GS350 instead. Do they have the same problem? I usually buy my lexus from other people's 3 year leases, which is alot less that buying new. Gives it a few years to see what are the major problems then decide.
Old 05-23-07, 10:43 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SirSkrip

I have 02 ES300... the tranny thing doesnt drive me nuts. Im fine with it. But I cant believe that the 07s have a similar tranny shift problem. I am looking into trading/selling my ES300 and perhaps purchasing the 350. I think I will look into the GS350 instead. Do they have the same problem? I usually buy my lexus from other people's 3 year leases, which is alot less that buying new. Gives it a few years to see what are the major problems then decide.
I have not noticed transmission complaints on the GS forum, I think only 1 person so far had reported a serious problem with a GS transmission.

Ask twister or 2thfixr who both own one and who hang out on that forum and this one to be sure or just go review the forum yourself if you want.

GS owners do not complain about the things ES owners do at all save rattles here and there.
Old 05-23-07, 02:59 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD350
Have you driven an 04 or newer Acura TL? I am not one who races cars, but that is the best auto tranny I have ever driven, especially under hard acceleration.
Compared to my Camry, my TL automatic shifts 99% better... It is comfortable for cruising with NO HARSHNESS whatsoever and yeah, when you bomb it the shifts are spot on and slam into place very, very quickly.

Phoenix - There was definitely a huge tranny problem with 2nd generation TLs - But every owner received an extended warranty and Honda is still replacing 2nd gen transaxles today on 100,000 mile + cars. On the 3rd gen TL, transmission issues have been primarily on the manuals, most peeps are *****in about shiftin into/out of 3rd gear, it's finicky I guess.
Old 09-06-07, 04:15 PM
teamtbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrshyvley
Took my 2007 Camry V6 to the dealer today and showed them the new TSB that came out 5/17/07 calling for a re-flash with new firmware before doing a transaxle replacement.
Also showed them video of my once after each engine start 3rd-4th shift slip (flare).
I have an appointment to get re-flashed with the new firmware on Tuesday 5/29.
Will report how it turns out.

Hi mrshyvley, how did the new TSB work out? I am thinking about having it done myself on my 2007 Camry XLE V6. I had the tranny replaced in April but the shift flare came back 2200 miles later. If this TSB doesn't work, I am going to pursue a buy-back and possibly buy a RX350.
Old 09-06-07, 04:19 PM
teamtbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by teamtbo
Hi mrshyvley, how did the new TSB work out? I am thinking about having it done myself on my 2007 Camry XLE V6. I had the tranny replaced in April but the shift flare came back 2200 miles later. If this TSB doesn't work, I am going to pursue a buy-back and possibly buy a RX350.
I just noticed your updated signature on a different thread. It says:

2007 Camry SE V6 Titanium Metallic
Produced 08/06 Kentucky
VIN# 4T1BK46K37U5189xx
Optional Borla V6 High Performance Exhaust Toyota Part #00016-32102 Available through Southeast Toyota dealers
TSB TC007-07 done 5/29/07
Transaxle Replaced 7/18/2007

So, apparently, TC007-07 didn't work? It is frustrating because I may need to do what you did but in reverse order. I got the new transmission first in April and now they may force me to do the TSB....which appears to not work.
Old 09-06-07, 09:52 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by teamtbo
I just noticed your updated signature on a different thread. It says:

2007 Camry SE V6 Titanium Metallic
Produced 08/06 Kentucky
VIN# 4T1BK46K37U5189xx
Optional Borla V6 High Performance Exhaust Toyota Part #00016-32102 Available through Southeast Toyota dealers
TSB TC007-07 done 5/29/07
Transaxle Replaced 7/18/2007

So, apparently, TC007-07 didn't work? It is frustrating because I may need to do what you did but in reverse order. I got the new transmission first in April and now they may force me to do the TSB....which appears to not work.
No, TC007-07 worked for maybe 300-350 miles or so, then the 3-4 flare came back, along with a warm intermittent 2-3 flare, and more intermittent 1-2 flare.

This new transaxle (a new May 2007 produced one) is a world of difference better (they only changed the transaxle and not the TCU), but it has had some small slippages from time to time, worse when the air conditioner is on.
Though tonight, about a block away I had a small 2-3 flare.

When I think of all the people who say they've never had any flares, and I also think of all the people who've had new transaxles put in and still have them, I'm wondering if there's not also something defective in the TCU or ECU, or a combination?

Lucky for me, I so far have had a good no BS relationship with my dealer.
They told me if I have any more trouble to bring it back, and they'll do whatever it takes.
Old 09-09-07, 03:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It is BEYOND UNEXCUSABLE that you all are having to go throught his with your luxury cars. This type of problem should be taken very seriously by Lexus. As it stands, it's the owner's responsibility to take time to have a reflash performed, and then to take MORE time later on to have the transmission ripped into. They should be buying back these cars to save face and truly address the problem.

If this were my vehicle, I would give them three strikes as soon as possible and Lemon Law that sucker.
Old 09-09-07, 04:52 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
It is BEYOND UNEXCUSABLE that you all are having to go throught his with your luxury cars. This type of problem should be taken very seriously by Lexus. As it stands, it's the owner's responsibility to take time to have a reflash performed, and then to take MORE time later on to have the transmission ripped into. They should be buying back these cars to save face and truly address the problem.

If this were my vehicle, I would give them three strikes as soon as possible and Lemon Law that sucker.
Thank you. At least I am not the only one on this forum that feels this way.
Old 09-09-07, 11:30 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951

Lexus bought my es350 back due to the same transmission slipping problem, and I ended up with a ls460. The transmission and engine in the ls460 has been perfect, and I have no regrets of returning my es350 for a refund and upgrading to the ls460.