ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Not a flare, but not normal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 06:02 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a flare, but not normal...

This morning, I was accelerating up a freeway entrance ramp at about 35 ~ 40mph or so, I hit the gas hard and the trans downshifted and the engine rpm went way up, I looked at the tach and the rpm was just under 6k and stayed there without any acceleration of the car. After a sec or so with no change (rpm or speed), I let up on the gas and the rpm came down and the trans "engaged" and the car started accelerating again.

What the heck was that! My car doesn't have the 3-4 flare documented on this site, I watched the videos posted and tried to duplicate it with my car and can't.

This mornings event happened about 10 to 12 minutes after starting the car, it is the same entrance ramp on my commute route every day. and accelerating hard up that ramp is not really unusual, but the downshift was something new. Perhaps I never hit the gas quite so hard at that speed. Was this just a fluke of timing or a sign of trouble?

Also, I've read all the TSIB's concerning the trans issues and they all mention a "compensation code", does the fact that this code exists mean that there is variation in the manufacturing process? If so could this account for why some have the flare, the flare is different or some seem to not have it at all?
Old 05-23-07, 06:45 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by static
This morning, I was accelerating up a freeway entrance ramp at about 35 ~ 40mph or so, I hit the gas hard and the trans downshifted and the engine rpm went way up, I looked at the tach and the rpm was just under 6k and stayed there without any acceleration of the car. After a sec or so with no change (rpm or speed), I let up on the gas and the rpm came down and the trans "engaged" and the car started accelerating again.

What the heck was that! My car doesn't have the 3-4 flare documented on this site, I watched the videos posted and tried to duplicate it with my car and can't.

This mornings event happened about 10 to 12 minutes after starting the car, it is the same entrance ramp on my commute route every day. and accelerating hard up that ramp is not really unusual, but the downshift was something new. Perhaps I never hit the gas quite so hard at that speed. Was this just a fluke of timing or a sign of trouble?

Also, I've read all the TSIB's concerning the trans issues and they all mention a "compensation code", does the fact that this code exists mean that there is variation in the manufacturing process? If so could this account for why some have the flare, the flare is different or some seem to not have it at all?

From the description what you experienced is what I had called violent slipping.

Tach jumps 2k plus, but you did not mention any notice of surging or jerking when it re-engaged with forward momentum.

Ons and others may have input here as well, but for me I determined it was a unique form of both harsh downshift when you asked for additional acceleration then topped off by extreme RPM spike with slipping of the transmission.

This form of slipping is the number 1 reason I got out of the car.

It should not have happened the first time, glad for you not on a slightly icy or snowy road, but if it happens again take it back if you do not plan to already and point out both the downshift and upshift dialogue in the TSIB to service as a combination experience for you when the Lexus TSIB is officially released.
Old 05-23-07, 07:00 AM
G-Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Thats the same exact problem I had also. I was able to reproduce this action at anytime. While driving at 40mph all I needed to do was to step on the gas a little and the rpm would go up over 5000 and then seconds later the car would final shift and accelerate. After showing this problem to Lexus Corp and dealership they decided to replace the transmission. This later resulted to a vehicle replacement which had the same issue and then a buy back.

Last edited by G-Lexus; 05-23-07 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 07:22 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
but you did not mention any notice of surging or jerking when it re-engaged with forward momentum.
It re-engaged smoothly.
Old 05-23-07, 08:01 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It re-engaged smoothly.

It may have been an odd collection of events though certainly keep an eye on it. Going up an appreciable incline lessens the surge/jerking, as in my experience going up an overpass with a significant incline as the approach it was hardly noticeable though you knew something was not right.

If it does it even once on a more level road surface, like you decide to change lanes and need to accelerate to get ahead of the vehicle in the next lane in order to move into it, take it back to them right away.
Old 05-23-07, 02:50 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

You've just found the reason why I ditched the 2GR-FE/U660E equipped vehicle made by Toyota that i used to own.

This is what I've called a "downshift flare" in the past... You request accelleration, the engine is ready to go, the transmission gets lazy and only does half it's job... It's like it gets a reading from the input shaft that says the RPMs are too high to engage the gear that the TCM selected before the RPMs when up... For instance, you nail it... The pointometer in the gas pedel tells the TCM "this guy means buisiness" and the TCM says, "OK, 45MPH in 5th gear, he wants to go really fast, let's give him second gear." The engine then revs up and the TCM then says, "Wait, we can't give him second gear, he's giving her all she's got Scotty! Second gear will blow the internal cyclic ultra-violet wave transregressor!" <<<---- Made up Star trek reference.

So it just hangs up until something changes... Either the driver freaks and stops the input or the car slows to a point where it thinks it can effectively shift into 2nd gear.

Bottom line.... YOU'VE GOT FLARE!
Old 05-23-07, 06:07 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Agreed - its a slip/flare. The slips on this car are not all 3/4 first shift flares while cold. As the recent TSIB now points out, there other situations, and you just experienced one (whether stated in the newest TSIB or not)

Only time will tell whether the "re-flash" will work...
Old 05-24-07, 06:28 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1seeker1

Agreed - its a slip/flare. The slips on this car are not all 3/4 first shift flares while cold. As the recent TSIB now points out, there other situations, and you just experienced one (whether stated in the newest TSIB or not)

Only time will tell whether the "re-flash" will work...
I always chuckle at the term flare/flair.... I'm always thinking of the movie Office Space with the waitress and not having enough pieces of flare/flair on her uniform.

I think we need to make this a new emoticon...

A smiley with a rainbow over his head and in the rainbow it says, "You've Got FLARE!"

hahaha!
Old 05-24-07, 09:02 AM
static
Driver

Didn't happen this morning, but I had to stop for gas and emply my wallet just before getting on the ramp.

My 15K service is already scheduled for next week, I'll be bringing this up with them for sure.
Old 05-24-07, 02:29 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just a poorly designed tranny. I hate it!! But, I also knew the ES 350 is not a hot rod.
Old 05-24-07, 10:51 PM
creamy
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. I have a story of my own and its really hard to explain. Have yet to read anything similar on all the forums Ive been to. So I Wanted to show my friend the acceleration on the new ES 350 at a red light and was using the shifttronic thing. Only had 800 miles on it and engine was warmed up after 15 mins of driving btw. Did a hard acceleration and the tach needle paused at 4000 rpm *car kinda choked for half a second* and resumed onward to 6000rpm before I shifted into 2nd. I was like whoa wtf. I parked the car on the sidewalk and revved it in neutral and the car jumped. Wierd isn't it? Luckily I can't reproduce it again thank god.
Old 10-23-15, 07:04 PM
Absolutegt
Driver School Candidate

Bump from the grave.

I have done hours and hours of research. This is the first thread I have found that exactly, I mean EXACTLY describes my issue with my new to me 2007 ES350. It only has 46k on it.

Transmission flares badly when downshifting from 40-50 mph and then I go WOT. engine revs wildly and transmission acts like it first drops into third and then decides second but won't engage until I let off the gas just a bit. Then it will violently lurch forward when second engages.

If I just "normal" around town, the car drives just fine but clearly something is wrong.

Also it feels like the first to second up shift is a bit clunky.

What's the fix?
Old 10-24-15, 05:45 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I recall the early years 2007-8 had these problems and when found were fixed by Lexus. It seems most of the posts here are with these early models. I have a 2010 with 35K miles and have not experienced this as of yet. Flare is slip and slip is flare and is not a good thing. It can only get worse so I would see what the dealer would do and press them for the repair. Sounds like a big bill coming. Good luck