ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Safety of push button start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 03:00 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety of push button start

I was thinking about the safety in terms of a situation where someone wanted to steal the car ("give me your keys") Wouldn't it be possible to get close to the car, the thief open the door and press the start button and drive off for a distance. I would think the engine would kill since the fob is not is range. Is that correct?
Old 06-06-07, 03:04 PM
ffxlexus
Driver School Candidate

i don't think that is possible... seeing how the car would only start if the key is detected "INSIDE" of the vehicle.
Old 06-06-07, 05:25 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

The engine does NOT kill. I know this because when I use a car wash I leave the engine running and tell tham NOT to turn it off. I then go inside the car wash with my key and remore in my pocket and the car keeps running even though I am 100+ feet away.

Here in Las Vegas you can do the same with valet parking but tell them to press the button to turn it off ONLY when it is parked. Then when you pick up the car hand them the remote.

This keeps anyone from taking a joy ride or, shall we say, borrowing it.

It works neat because you're sure that your car will still be there when you return.
Old 06-06-07, 06:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerfitz
The engine does NOT kill. I know this because when I use a car wash I leave the engine running and tell tham NOT to turn it off. I then go inside the car wash with my key and remore in my pocket and the car keeps running even though I am 100+ feet away.

Here in Las Vegas you can do the same with valet parking but tell them to press the button to turn it off ONLY when it is parked. Then when you pick up the car hand them the remote.

It works neat because you're sure that your car will still be there when you return.
Great idea, but how do you get around the "beep"? My car beeps if I walk away from it with fob in hand and it is still running.
Old 06-07-07, 02:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, they can just leave your car running all the time and do all the joy riding before they park it and shut it down. Or if it is running in the parking stall someone else can jump in and borrow it before the button was pressed to shut the engine off.

Anyway, I see your point, but I don't think it will keep anyone from stealing the car or valets from joyriding if they wanted to and the oportunity presented itself.
Old 06-07-07, 07:14 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

I never tested how long the beep lasts when walking away from the car with the remote in MY pocket. I'll have to test that point.

No one at the car wash has ever said a word about the beeping. Maybe it's so loud at the car wash that they never even hear the beep.
Old 06-07-07, 07:16 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

If someone is planning a theft, they will probably succeed. I suppose insurance takes over at this point.
Old 06-07-07, 09:39 AM
L_Rod
Driver School Candidate

If someone is planning a theft, they will probably succeed. I suppose insurance takes over at this point.
I agree with you on that one and if they don't succeed they will atleast attempt to do it.
Old 06-07-07, 11:25 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Today I ran a test. My wife started the car and backed out into the street. She then gave me the remote and I took it into the house. She disconnected her seat belt and opened & closed the door.

The engine remained running and the car did NOT start beeping (as I thought I remembered from the car wash).

She then drove it a bit while the remote was in the house and all was fine.

The dash display did say KEY NOT DETECTED and the red triangle exclamation point was displayed.

She then pressed the start/stop button and the engine stopped as expected. Also, it would not restart until I retrieved the remote so it worked as advertised.
Old 06-07-07, 11:25 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

When I picked up my MX5 a couple of years ago I started it and the saleman hopped in to go fill it up with gas. When he shut it off to fill it up, that was it. Will run til stopped and turned off. Then, no start. I am fairly sure the Lexus is the same way. I had a Vette that worked the same way. If they want your car I would agree they will probably find a way to get it. My favorite thing is when the weather is crummy and you get to the car with your hands full and don't have to dig for your keys in the rain or snow. Just grab the handle and your in

Last edited by rlj4246; 06-07-07 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-07, 05:40 PM
gnm313
Driver

Does anyone know what you do if your battery dies? How do you get in your locked car?
Old 06-07-07, 05:46 PM
ESDragon
Driver

Originally Posted by gnm313
Does anyone know what you do if your battery dies? How do you get in your locked car?
If you ran out of battery on the remote, use the small key that you can detach from the remote and unlock the door. The keyhole should be under the door handles if I can remember correctly. Then hold the remote near the push start button, it should glow green and you can start the car.
Old 06-07-07, 05:56 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Today I ran a test. My wife started the car and backed out into the street. She then gave me the remote and I took it into the house. She disconnected her seat belt and opened & closed the door.

The engine remained running and the car did NOT start beeping (as I thought I remembered from the car wash).

She then drove it a bit while the remote was in the house and all was fine.

The dash display did say KEY NOT DETECTED and the red triangle exclamation point was displayed.

She then pressed the start/stop button and the engine stopped as expected. Also, it would not restart until I retrieved the remote so it worked as advertised.
Interesting...try this, put the car in park, get out with the car running and start to walk away (leave the door open so you can hear the beep) and let me know if it now beeps. I think it is a reminder to let you know you left the car running. It might have something to do with the car in park, no tush on the driver's seat sensor, etc. Maybe if someone is still driving the car, it won't beep.
Old 06-09-07, 05:31 AM
gnm313
Driver

Originally Posted by ESDragon
If you ran out of battery on the remote, use the small key that you can detach from the remote and unlock the door. The keyhole should be under the door handles if I can remember correctly. Then hold the remote near the push start button, it should glow green and you can start the car.

I am worried about the battery running out on the car, not the remote. There is a hole under the door handle, but the key only goes in 1/4 inch. Not sure what you are talking about as far as the push button glowing if the battery is dead. If the battery dies, you just need to get in the car to release the hood so you can jump it.

There must be something to that key hole though. I couldn't find anything in the manual, but the manual is so poor, it may be in there and I just can't find it.
Old 06-09-07, 07:14 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

The beep's probably for the open door, not the fact that the key's not detected.

Quick Reply: Safety of push button start