ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 08:40 PM
daica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ventilated seats

With the ventilated seats, is air supposed to blow out the back as well? On my seats, the air seem to blow pretty strong on the bottom, but one time I remember that air started blowing on my back as well. It has been getting hotter these days and I usually leave my seat on max cool whenever I am in the car. On the particularly hot days, the seating ventilation keeps my butt really cool, but my back is still hot and sticky because it doesn't seem like the air is blowing out out from the back. I thought this was by design, but one time, I remember I started feeling cool air blowing out from the back as well. So I just wanted to understand if it should be blowing from the back or not -- I am thinking of getting the dealership to take a look at in on my next maintenance which should be in a month or two.
What are your experiences with the ventilated seats?
Old 06-06-07, 10:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried using it with a thin shirt or tank top? Perhaps it's more about what you're wearing?

The air does not circulate as easily to the back portion of the seat compared to the bottom; that is normal. It is abnormal to not get any air at all...
Old 06-08-07, 12:00 PM
daica
Driver School Candidate

I tried putting my hand on the back and I don't feel anything at all. Sometimes when it does work, it blows really hard and it is very noticeable when you put on the hand over the back.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Have you tried using it with a thin shirt or tank top? Perhaps it's more about what you're wearing?

The air does not circulate as easily to the back portion of the seat compared to the bottom; that is normal. It is abnormal to not get any air at all...
Old 06-08-07, 01:29 PM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

I had similar experience especially on the driver seat. Sometimes, I can hardly notices any flow around the lower back.
Old 06-08-07, 09:02 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I might suggest if you want the air to blow cooler on the seat is to set the AC directional to bi-level. Cool air directed to the floor will be blow up to the seat. Once the car is cool this works real well for me on hot days. The AC in my ES is like a refrigerator.
Old 06-08-07, 09:42 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Ditto about the A/C. Superb, simply superb. No car manufacturer does A/C better.

As to the (ahem) "ventillated" seats, they are a complete joke. The heating feature works fine but the so-called ventillation does nothing whatsoever. You can hardly feel it and all it blows is the same air that's already in the car. If you've just gotten in on a warm day, all it's going to do is blow hot air on you. As to the poster who said to put the A/C on bi-level that really doesn't help.

Face it, by the time the ambient air is cool enough to even potentially be on any benefit when blown up through the seats, the entire cabin is cool enough to be comfortable. The ventillated seats would only be useful if they blew cool air from the moment the car was turned on on a hot day.

As it is, it's just another silly "gee whiz" feature that does absolutely nothing.

Kind of like "keyless start."
Old 06-13-07, 04:11 AM
RobF350
Driver

I dont know Doc, I think the cooled seats work pretty good.

You dont get that stuck to the leather feeling and if its not blazingly hot out we sometimes have to turn it down.
Old 06-13-07, 10:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RobF350
I dont know Doc, I think the cooled seats work pretty good.

You dont get that stuck to the leather feeling and if its not blazingly hot out we sometimes have to turn it down.
I agree. They don't get ice cold or anything like that, but the ventilation helps to keep the seat comfortable. IMO it's better than without the feature. I've seen them referred to as air conditioned but they're not, just ventilated.
Old 06-14-07, 06:22 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

I love the vented seats. The air seems cold to me.
Old 06-15-07, 02:31 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the air in the cabin has been cooled enough by the regular AC, having the same cooled air blowing through the seats would be helpful on long summer roadtrips. Especially if wearing shorts. Even if on startup it's not much help it STILL will cool the seats faster than not having any air blowing through them at all. REAL AC seats would be much nicer though still. Oh well...
Old 06-21-07, 10:17 AM
mixonchik
Rookie

ventilation works fine on mine, but heated seats suck. they never get warm enough.
Its probably one of the lexuses safety feautures - no hot heated seats because you can burn your genetals, and at the same time no good ventilation so u dont get sick.
Old 03-25-10, 11:07 AM
jinnjia
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to pull out an old thread, but I just want to make sure the lower back of the seat SHOULD also have air coming out right ? All this time I thought its only the bottom of the seat, but today I got a 2010 loaner (mine is 2007) and I can definetly feel the air coming out of the lower back as well, I thought this might be something new for the newer model ?
Old 03-28-10, 08:48 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rlj4246
I love the vented seats. The air seems cold to me.
Doc don't live in Texas. We appreciate any help against the heat. We like the ventilated seats and just like keyless ignition, will never again purchase a car without it.

Some people can be happy with a horseless carriage. To each it's own!
Old 03-29-10, 04:21 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They work fine on my 07. Wish her 04 SC had the cooled seats in it.