ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Thinking to buy the ES350.. Couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 02:56 PM
unknown2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking to buy the ES350.. Couple questions..

Hi All,

I'm thinking to buy the 07 (maybe 08) ES350... I was reading on edmunds.com about the ES owners opinions about their cars.. There are 3 common problems:

1- Tranny
2- Lights (for the homelink buttuns)
3- Lights (the LED map lights)

As i understand, the tranny problem has been solved with the newer built ES350 (i don't know from what date did they started that)... I hope that is fixed now...

About the homelink lights, can anyone please post some night pics about the dash with all the switches, steering wheel, mirror, filler cap...etc swtiches?? I prefere to see them at night without any flash or night mode please..

Another question, can i enable the DVD (for passengers for sure!) while i'm driving like the IS350? I assume the ES/IS have similar wiring diagrams for the Nav... For the IS, it's just one wire to ground (read the last line in this DIY)..

One more question... I'd love to have a blind spot mirrors for my car... I've done a search on the net and i found out that you can get the blind spot mirrors (both sides) for the LS/GS/IS but i couldn't find anythink for the ES... Does anyone know if they are available in other markets (like Europ, China..etc) like the LS/GS/IS??

Thanks alot
Old 06-10-07, 03:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

--Tranny issues have not been widespread. Unfortunately, it differs from one car to the next. There has been TSBs regarding fixing it, so it is being addressed by Lexus.

--As far as the lights are concerned, I haven't heard of anything regarding lights not working. Homelink is on the rearview mirrow, and I don't think the buttons are illuminated (if they are, it's very subtle). Map lights are LED, so they shouldn't burn out, although some bulbs will have manufacturing defects. It's just a matter of changing them to good bulbs.

--DVD can be enabled with a Nav Hack ONLY if you have the Mark Levinson + Nav system. Mark Levinson means you have a DVD player and surround sound; regular audio only has a CD player.

--Blind spot mirrors? You mean the little attached circular mirrors on the corners of the regular side mirrors? Please don't do that. It's tacky...
Old 06-10-07, 04:21 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
--Homelink is on the rearview mirrow, and I don't think the buttons are illuminated (if they are, it's very subtle).

What do you mean that homelink is on the rearview mirror? I have no Homelink buttons there.
Old 06-10-07, 04:23 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Originally Posted by unknown2
Hi All,

I'm thinking to buy the 07 (maybe 08) ES350... I was reading on edmunds.com about the ES owners opinions about their cars.. There are 3 common problems:

1- Tranny

There are many people who have never had an issue with their Tranny. Those that are on the list will tell you "buy this car... don't worry about it".

Those of us who have Tranny issues will more likely say "Buyer Beware". The odds are good you WON'T have any issues. But here's a litmus test: Ask the dealer if you can get a money back guarantee on the first 90 days that your tranny won't flare. If the problem was REALLY solved for good they'd be perfectly willing to say yes.
Old 06-10-07, 04:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

1- Tranny
2- Lights (for the homelink buttuns)
3- Lights (the LED map lights)

As i understand, the tranny problem has been solved with the newer built ES350 (i don't know from what date did they started that)... I hope that is fixed now...

About the homelink lights, can anyone please post some night pics about the dash with all the switches, steering wheel, mirror, filler cap...etc swtiches?? I prefere to see them at night without any flash or night mode please..

Another question, can i enable the DVD (for passengers for sure!) while i'm driving like the IS350? I assume the ES/IS have similar wiring diagrams for the Nav... For the IS, it's just one wire to ground (read the last line in this DIY)..

One more question... I'd love to have a blind spot mirrors for my car... I've done a search on the net and i found out that you can get the blind spot mirrors (both sides) for the LS/GS/IS but i couldn't find anythink for the ES... Does anyone know if they are available in other markets (like Europ, China..etc) like the LS/GS/IS??

Thanks alot
I would not say those are the top 3 issues. The top 3, in my opinion, are

1) Tranny
2) Cold engine knock
3) Excessive rattles

My car does not have the 3rd/4th flare, but I have driven 3 loaners that had it.. Trust me, you don't want it. Some have had success with the update from Lexus to fix, others have not.

I do have the cold engine knock. Lexus says it is normal, but I don't think so. I did not buy a diesel, but it sure sounds like one. I call it an ES 350 TDI.

Have had excessive issues with rattles. The dealer has had to tear apart my dash, right front door panel, and headliner and align areas with felt (still working on fixing the headliner rattle). It did the fix, but should not have happened. The dealer admitted to me that many cars have come in with dash rattles and they have had to do the same fix.

Is the ES 350 perfect, NO WAY! Is it a great buy for the money, YES. Ask your dealer to let you take yours on a 24 to 48 hour test drive to make sure you don't have any of these issues before you sign the papers. If they say no, walk away.

As to homelink, it is on the headliner near the sunroof switch. It does not light up at night and is hard to find. Can't watch movies, unless you get the ML system and the car is in park with brake set.

Good luck

Last edited by MD350; 06-10-07 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 09:20 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Take a look at this post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236162
Old 06-11-07, 06:33 AM
taymatt
Driver School Candidate

My ES 350 is 12 months old. I agree with MD350 that the car is a rattle box.
Noises occur at different times and in different areas of the interior of the vehicle. Its unpredictable and numerous repair attempts (over a dozen trips) have been unsuccessful. The problem is the random occurrence of the noises lead the techs to think they have the noises fixed. However when I'm driving under normal conditions any one of the noises reocccurs. I have driven loaner ES 350's and they all make similiar noises. I wonder how any owner of this vehicle can report no interior noises such as vibrations, buzzing sounds and metal tapping noises from numerous areas of the interior cabin. This is not how a luxury car should behave.

My opinion is the ES350 is a flawed vehicle with mechanical and interior integrity and assembly issues. Lexus corporate customer service department is a total waste of time as they act like you are the only purchaser with a problem and they leave no sense of confidence that anything will be resolved.

If you call the Lexus 800 number, you are referred back to your dealer. The people manning the phone at Lexus do not project the type of response you would expect from a luxury product's consumer help department. Its a waste of time to speak to them as they can resolve nothing and leave you with an empty feeling.

Car reviews and Consumer Reports do not have the time to spend months driving and living with this or any vehicle.

The ES 350 is a flawed product and Lexus's response to it is a corporate failure.

Anyone buying this vehicle has a high probability of being disappointed with the product and Lexus as a corporation.
Old 06-11-07, 06:43 AM
unknown2
Driver

--Blind spot mirrors? You mean the little attached circular mirrors on the corners of the regular side mirrors? Please don't do that. It's tacky...
NO!! I will use the factory mirrors with the dimming feature.. I had it on my 2000 VW GTI and i simply LOVE IT! Here is a picture of the VW mirror....

--DVD can be enabled with a Nav Hack ONLY if you have the Mark Levinson + Nav system. Mark Levinson means you have a DVD player and surround sound; regular audio only has a CD player.
Thanks!! I want wanted to make sure it can be done.. I think it's very important feature if you have kids with you...

As to homelink, it is on the headliner near the sunroof switch. It does not light up at night and is hard to find.
Can you (or anyone) please post a picture of the Homelink?? Does the rest of the upper console illuminate?

Thank you guys
Old 06-11-07, 06:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by taymatt
My ES 350 is 12 months old. I agree with MD350 that the car is a rattle box.
Noises occur at different times and in different areas of the interior of the vehicle. Its unpredictable and numerous repair attempts (over a dozen trips) have been unsuccessful. The problem is the random occurrence of the noises lead the techs to think they have the noises fixed. However when I'm driving under normal conditions any one of the noises reocccurs. I have driven loaner ES 350's and they all make similiar noises. I wonder how any owner of this vehicle can report no interior noises such as vibrations, buzzing sounds and metal tapping noises from numerous areas of the interior cabin. This is not how a luxury car should behave.

My opinion is the ES350 is a flawed vehicle with mechanical and interior integrity and assembly issues. Lexus corporate customer service department is a total waste of time as they act like you are the only purchaser with a problem and they leave no sense of confidence that anything will be resolved.

If you call the Lexus 800 number, you are referred back to your dealer. The people manning the phone at Lexus do not project the type of response you would expect from a luxury product's consumer help department. Its a waste of time to speak to them as they can resolve nothing and leave you with an empty feeling.

Car reviews and Consumer Reports do not have the time to spend months driving and living with this or any vehicle.

The ES 350 is a flawed product and Lexus's response to it is a corporate failure.

Anyone buying this vehicle has a high probability of being disappointed with the product and Lexus as a corporation.
Sorry to hear that you'e having so many problems with your car. I haven't had that experience. My car is a little over 13 months old (early May '06) and to date, no rattles or creaking at all inside the car. The roads around here are not in the best condition, but so far the interior has remained as quiet as when we got the car. I hope you're able to get things fixed with your car.
Old 06-11-07, 07:23 AM
taymatt
Driver School Candidate

Lex Bob: Thou your vehicle is fine it makes me even more frustrated that mine is so flawed and the loaner ES350's I've driven have also been rattle boxes.

After over a dozen repair attempts I've given up thinking it can be repaired. Mine is an early production model which was poorly assembled with Lexus using inferior quality interior products.

My purpose in writing is to warn prospetive purchases that they need to be prepared to be disappointed by this flawed expensive product and the poor corporate response of Lexus.

Lexus has access to all service records and should make an effort to contact owners with multiple repair visits to offer resolutions to the problems.Their silence is astonishing. Most of the TSB's have been failures (see transmission issues).

This is no way for a luxury brand to perform and respond.

Lexus has ignored everyone on this forum. They have not satisfactorily responded or repaired the major issues of this vehicle.
Old 06-11-07, 08:03 AM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Lex Bob: Thou your vehicle is fine it makes me even more frustrated that mine is so flawed and the loaner ES350's I've driven have also been rattle boxes.

After over a dozen repair attempts I've given up thinking it can be repaired. Mine is an early production model which was poorly assembled with Lexus using inferior quality interior products.

My purpose in writing is to warn prospetive purchases that they need to be prepared to be disappointed by this flawed expensive product and the poor corporate response of Lexus.

Lexus has access to all service records and should make an effort to contact owners with multiple repair visits to offer resolutions to the problems.Their silence is astonishing. Most of the TSB's have been failures (see transmission issues).

Lexus has ignored everyone on this forum. They have not satisfactorily responded or repaired the major issues of this vehicle.

what a jakkkkassss
Old 06-11-07, 08:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

taymatt, my car is a very early build (4/06) and IMO the quality is outstanding for a $35K-$40K entry level luxury car. No complaints at all at this point. As has been discussed on this forum, Lexus is selling around 70,000 ES350's a year so they must be cranking out some good ones. Granted there are some with issues, but I don't think that all of them are bad. Hopefully, eveyone with problems/issues get resolution with their cars.
Old 06-11-07, 09:45 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you (or anyone) please post a picture of the Homelink?? Does the rest of the upper console illuminate?
There is a picture of the upper console on the Lexus website. Just look up interior photos for the ES350.

None of the overhead console features are illuminated. This is a hassle when trying to find buttons at night, and is a suprising oversight by Lexus.
Old 06-11-07, 09:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
There is a picture of the upper console on the Lexus website. Just look up interior photos for the ES350.

None of the overhead console features are illuminated. This is a hassle when trying to find buttons at night, and is a suprising oversight by Lexus.
I agree about the oversight. I talked to Lexus Cust Svc to find out if there were any plans to illuminate these buttons and they said to their knowledge, no. I stuck a small, soft, clear plastic picture frame bumper on the one for the garage door opener which makes it easier to find in the dark and doesn't stand out too much
Old 06-11-07, 07:08 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Thumbs down I would look else where!!

If I had it to do over, I would not be driving a ES350. Looks good rides smooth
and has adequate straight-line power but-tranny flares and downshifts rough,
paint is soft and chips like crazy, wind and road noise is excessive, controls are locked for many functions if you are not in park-a real pain to have to stop to dial a phone number on the bluetooth or change the nave system. Its just one little thing after another. BE CAREFUL-better yet go for the GS or the IS if money is a concern and you want a lexus. As for me I would change to another brand for the simple reason that Lexus has done very little to solve the above problems and worst yet use the "its normal" excuse. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Thinking to buy the ES350.. Couple questions..