ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 on 22 inch Dubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 03:05 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, if it makes you stand out, and you like the attention, thats great. I think it's kinda cool. Im just wondering, since you rims are a lot bigger, do you need special thin tires to keep the entire size within spec? I know since you spent so much money and want to show it off, no comment is gonna affect anything...good for you. I had a MSM ES350 last year, and i really liked that color. But due to societal pressure, I ended up trading it in. Now when i see that color, I still have feelings for it. Wierd huh.
Old 06-16-07, 03:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You must mean $1500 a set. I've seen prices of cheap chrome big 20/22 inch wheels from no name brands drop like flies.

No way $1500 a wheel. You could have gotten almost ANY wheel for that price.

Not going to comment on the car. Glad you like it

No Mike these are more expensive than the cheapos as they're spinners / floaters but think are still of indeterminant quality.

http://www.hubcap-tire-wheel.com/dub...floater-c.html

Not my style, but if you like it go for it! You'll get the attention!
Old 06-16-07, 09:43 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Just because it can, doesn't mean it should.
Sorry bro, didn't mean to come off harsh.

If you are happy, that is all that matters!
Old 06-17-07, 03:34 AM
Binihana
Driver School Candidate

Default ummmm

You must mean $1500 a set. I've seen prices of cheap chrome big 20/22 inch wheels from no name brands drop like flies.

No way $1500 a wheel. You could have gotten almost ANY wheel for that price.

Not going to comment on the car. Glad you like it
actually i meant 1500 a RIM! but u know what thats when they were NEW... just found a few links... now they are 1300 a rim... here's a link if you want to see 4 yourself. These are DUB FLOATING RIMS... not just some bobo rim :-)

http://www.thewheelconnection.com/ph...&brandsearch=1
Old 06-17-07, 08:05 AM
kingnoo
Rookie

Binihana,your whip game was almost off the chain but the rims has to go.I am not knocking you for the size,but the rims you chose just doesn't look right.I can't ride on anything less than 22" rims but Dub Cream Floaters has to be one of the ugliest rims I ever saw,.They only look cool when they are rocking.
Old 06-17-07, 01:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Binihana
actually i meant 1500 a RIM! but u know what thats when they were NEW... just found a few links... now they are 1300 a rim... here's a link if you want to see 4 yourself. These are DUB FLOATING RIMS... not just some bobo rim :-)

http://www.thewheelconnection.com/ph...&brandsearch=1
Wow! I had no idea.

Old 06-17-07, 01:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad you like the car.. GL..
Old 06-17-07, 01:59 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id rather have a set of nice BBS and good set of tires...
thats a little too much unsprung weight for me.

BUT, its your car. whatever floats your boat .
Old 06-18-07, 11:51 AM
TJazz
Driver School Candidate

Default Diminishing returns?

I've been fascinated by the continuing trend toward ever-larger wheels and shrinking aspect ratios. At some point you are left with practically no rubber between the wheel and the road. I went from stock tires to 225/50-17 for better handling, but to go to 22" wheels with aspects under 30 seems to offer diminishing returns. Handling, steering, and ride go out the window, and I can't believe they are safe. Even race cars have more rubber on the road than this. Sure, to each their own, but I guess I also can't understand a pair of jeans with the crotch at the knees.
Old 06-18-07, 02:00 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ Well said. Definitely a balance, and in this case 22's are all about the look. I'd guess that on the ES 19's would strike the perfect balance between handling, steering response, brake performance, acceleration, and ride quality. But you know what, the ES is a large, heavy, FWD car...no tire & wheel combo is really going to get past brick wall of a hurdle. Personally, 22's on this car is way too much for me, but if you like 'em that's all that counts. I just hope you don't hit a pothole...or a curb.

I debated 18's for my wife's ES, and ultimately decided to keep the stock 17's. Likewise, on my RX I briefly thought about 20's. I ran 22's on my old full-size SUV. I loved the look, but hated the ride. And the unsprung weight. Maybe I'm getting old, but the look isn't as important to me as it once was....at least not as much as the other factors.
Old 06-18-07, 02:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! I had no idea.
You think that's something....the high end Davin spinners cost more. Somewhere around $2000-2500 per wheel.
Old 06-19-07, 07:59 AM
lowrider
Driver School Candidate

Hey Binihana.

What size tires ARE you running with those 22's. I didn't catch in this thread unless I overlooked it.
Old 06-20-07, 11:51 AM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

As everyone said as long as you like it that's what matters but here's something to consider;

1) Rims in this category are a bit of a fad. Don't you think it'll look good to you for this summer but by 2010 you'll look at your car and think--"what was I thinking back then?!?". If you go for a more timeless design you can't go wrong. It'll always look good. That GS pictured above will still look hot in 2010. I saw a 1998 MB AMG CLK55 today that still looks gorgeous! And the rims on that cost less than what you paid. (Ask anyone with a German car how much more they have to plan to invest than everyone else to get decent rims.)
2) I see a lot of people trying to make their BMWs look like Hondas. It's German, keep it euro looking. I see people turning their Japanese cars into Cadillacs. Keep it JDM. If you have seen a car modded out right you'll see they kept it within it's category and a true expression of itself. An ES350 needs that High-end Lux/Sport JDM look to look it's best. Those rims belong on a domestic car. (or according to me no car but whatever.) Just dosen't flow.

You will be turning a lot of heads at the local high school because kids like whatever is different even if it looks good just for today, they never think what a car will look like in 2 yrs. I used to have stickers and neons all over my car in high school. Live and learn. Most of us Lexus peeps are a bit more mature. Just like we have a taste for aged wine we know that good taste never goes out of style.

Last edited by rockfeller; 06-20-07 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 11:58 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've seen those before on cars/trucks I had no idea they were $1500 a piece though.
Old 06-21-07, 03:38 AM
Binihana
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow

1 more time i gotta thank you all for the love and hate! I run a 30 series tire! someone asked that... As far as handling... well this isnt a RACE CAR YA'LL lol. and here in DADE COUNTY we ride BIG and cruiseeeeee. so its all good. as far as a fad... sure your right... in big cities its all about staying ontop of your game! Also a big role in the rim selection was the limited rims with the right offset that were 22's. I seen 20's on the camry and the es350 and wasnt impressed... dont like all the wheel well showing! And someone also said they only look good when they are rocking... DUHHHHHHHH thats the point lol. I love going like 80 ont he turnpike and seeing peoples faces when it looks like i floated past them! As far as DAVINS... Davins only come in 20 and 23's i think... and there are only a couple styles as well... Davins are played out. DUB is the big name as of now. So again thanks everyone 4 the comments... I hope to soon see another ES350 on here sitting on them 22's... theres a couple on cardomain now :-) one really nice one with the peral white color... but with some sissy lookin rims and the guy is an idiot... but pretty color car none the less!

Quick Reply: ES 350 on 22 inch Dubs