ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:13 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how I fixed my ES350 NAV system so the car does NOT have to stopped. By the way, you're absolutely correct the Lexus screen is great because it's much larger and it's built into the dash but the Garmin does a MUCH better job of doing what a navigational GPS should do! Garmin is function over form..

Enabling the NAV System Features When Driving

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...69#post2503969
Old 06-25-07, 07:21 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For both our Acura MDX and our Lexus ES350 we had to buy the NAV system feature because we both wanted the back-up camera. We could not get the back-up camera without the NAV system.
Old 06-28-07, 10:25 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmrfr
The nav seldom understands my speech commands requiring I stop and do it by hand - a real pain in the butt.
I had the same problem you did, but there is a fix if you have the correct VIN.

Depending on when you bought your ES, you need to see if it was part of the defective NAV units. There are many threads on it here, and a TSIB was issued for vehicles below a certain VIN. But they won't automatically tell you about it because it requires replacing the entire NAV Unit. I have no issues now with voice commands. Also, don't speak like a computer, but in a normal conversational voice. It understands that much easier. That means no long pauses, etc.
Old 07-09-07, 03:11 PM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Poor Voice Recognation System

I have had my ES350 seventeen days now. It is equipped with Nav and voice recognition.

The VR is miserable. If is the worst system I have had. Regardless of how I try to enunciate (and I have tired many ways), phone dialing and destination addresses commands ALWAYS fail to be properly recognized.

VR in my former RL and M45 were superior to this Lexus.

The Nav system is equal to any of the seven other cars in which I had an installed Nav. I have not employed all of its features as yet but those I have tried, work quite well.

But the VR is another matter.
Old 07-10-07, 04:53 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is one of the features of the car I am impressed with. Makes our '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee factory nav system look / act cheap. But... I have the Onstar Driving Directions option on my 2007 Impala SS. Just call Onstar, give them your destination and they send the signal to your car. The radio takes over with voice commands and there are directions on the radio screen where to turn, how many miles before the turn etc. And you can get / change direction / update on the move. As a travleing salesman, this works better for me. One downside - I was in Queens yesterday and the signal was not great, Onstar having difficulty sending me info. They did stay online with me while I worked out of Queens and onto I678.
Old 07-10-07, 05:24 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carbuff
I have had my ES350 seventeen days now. It is equipped with Nav and voice recognition.

The VR is miserable. If is the worst system I have had. Regardless of how I try to enunciate (and I have tired many ways), phone dialing and destination addresses commands ALWAYS fail to be properly recognized.

VR in my former RL and M45 were superior to this Lexus.

The Nav system is equal to any of the seven other cars in which I had an installed Nav. I have not employed all of its features as yet but those I have tried, work quite well.

But the VR is another matter.
Agreed. I don't use the VR.