ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 08:50 AM
wboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES Navigation

How would you rate the ES navigation compared to the portable garmin, pioneer, magellan,etc... units out there ? I don't believe that the ES navigation has text-to-speech, is that correct ? Is it something that can be upgraded through software ?
My other question is does the navigation come in multiple languages ?
Thank you.
Old 06-20-07, 09:27 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the navigation can display text in English, Spanish, and French. As far as I know there is no text-to-speech functionality available. The voice commands (input) and directions (output) seem to work great, though - really a subjective thing.

I'm very impressed with the system. It's superior in every way to the GM, Acura, and Audi systems I've used. I've only used a couple of Garmin units, and to that end each experience was very simple and easy...in other words, I didn't tax either system. Functionality is great on those things, and I love the ease of flash upgrades. But I still prefer the elegance of an intregated system in a vehicle so I'm certainly biased. Mapping, in my experience, is similar across the board. Which, in my area, means it's out of date. This seemingly industry-wide issue is a mystery to me, and is occasionally a bother. My in-law's place in Sacramento, for example...a 15+ year-old neighborhood...displays on the map as wide open space. Ditto my folks' neighborhood in Arizona, which is admittedly newer.

Good luck...
Old 06-20-07, 09:28 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wboy
How would you rate the ES navigation compared to the portable garmin, pioneer, magellan,etc... units out there ?
Excellent!!

Originally Posted by wboy
My other question is does the navigation come in multiple languages ?
English, French, and Spanish
Old 06-20-07, 09:41 AM
wboy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your quick answers and your opinions, very much appreciated.
Does it also speak english/french/spanish or is it just display?
I'm schedule to pick up the ES this coming sunday, can't wait
Old 06-20-07, 11:36 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it speaks in the language you select.

Good luck with your new ES.
Old 06-20-07, 02:42 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Our UL is the first car we have owned that came equipped with the Nav. package so I cant really compare it to others. BUT...... My wife and daughter are currently on a week-long trip from Ms to Kansas and back and the Nav has been flawless. I dont believe she will ever own another car without it.
Old 06-20-07, 06:13 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I work in sales and travel a lot. I love the NAV system, it has never let me down. I take the car places where I have no idea where I am at, I put 100% faith into the Nav system to get me home.
Old 06-21-07, 08:46 AM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

I really like the nav system. Have a Garmin C320 too. Both will always get me where I want to go (or at least really close). One thing I don't like about the built-in nav is when you go outside an area where it has the details, even though it has the streets and will show you where you are, it won't give you turns. And it's route calculation in areas like that are WAY off. Unfortunately my home is in one of those areas, so it would occasionally recommend a 10 mile drive when it should be 3 or 4. That and the 'Nanny Lexus' greying out of buttons when moving. I still would buy one again, but also don't just blindly follow its directions.

Last edited by weinrdog; 06-21-07 at 08:47 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-21-07, 09:07 AM
wboy
Driver School Candidate

I just wish it has text to speech so that it'll tell you exactly the street name to turn to. I know those $700 garmin include that feature.
Either way, i'm still looking forward to it.
Old 06-24-07, 07:33 AM
robbyd97
Driver School Candidate

Default Magellan GPS vs ES350 GPD

I have a Magellan RoadMate in my truck. The RoadMate is a little more user friendly but the ES has much more information and works fantastic. Niether has ever given me any problems. The only adavantage of the RoadMate is that you can change the destination while you are driving. Because of Lexus' safety features you have to be stopped to program the GPS.
Old 06-24-07, 10:33 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

In our case we have three GPS Navagation units. We prefer the Garmin, second is the one in our Acura MDX, and in last place is the one in our Lexus ES350. With us the Garmin wins hands down over the other two. In fact when we know we'll be using it a lot for a trip or going to many new places during a day around town we take the Garmin with us in the ES350.
Old 06-24-07, 02:53 PM
gatorcb
Driver

what version (model) of the garmin? I'm curious on the size of the nav screen in the 350. I know the garmin 6xx is 4.3 inches
Old 06-24-07, 05:41 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Default needs improvement

The nav seldom understands my speech commands requiring I stop and do it by hand - a real pain in the butt. If you ever have a nav system It will be hard to ever get along without it again. Never thought I would use it much but I really have.My wife has a garmin and she hates to use my car but I simply am not going to have that system stuck on my dash. I really dont see that the garmin is any better or worse than the ES system except the factory system look a ton better.
Old 06-24-07, 08:15 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Here are just a few of the reasons to purchase portable unit vs. a factory unit. All of the things that I list below and much more are available on a portable unit.

1: Cost. You can buy a better Nav. unit for 300.00 to $1000.00. If you want to be really cheap, and have an outstanding GPS then get a GPS with software for about $100.00 that you connect to a laptop. All of these units will do more than any factory installed GPS unit. Even the 300.00 units will out perform the factory units.

1: Maps in the Toyota/Lexus units are not detailed enough anywhere except in the major cities. The Lexus unit will not give you directions in rural areas.
I can look up an address in most Small towns and the Garmin unit will show it. The Garmin maps will sometimes even show a road in a field, if it has been there a long time. The Garmin maps are much more detailed in the rural areas.

2: You will find that it will cost at least 200.00 + to update the map in the factory unit. You can update the maps in the portable unit for about 100.00 or less. I can load the whole US and Canada in the Garmin unit and do not have to change from region to region. Seamless navigation coast to coast.

2: After the vehicle is moving you cannot look up POI’s, exits on the interstate, addresses etc. My Lexus has voice recognition to do some things while it is moving but it too sucks. As soon as you get in a rural area the Nav unit will tell you that the information displayed is not accurate. (if you are in the nav. mode.)

3: You can’t change the map detail with out zooming in.

These are just a few of the reasons not to buy the factory unit. There are many other reasons too numerous to mention here. The only reason I would/did buy a factory unit was for the other features that I could not get without the built in display.
Just my two cents for what it’s worth..

Last edited by autiger71; 06-24-07 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 07:04 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

We have the Garmin 2610 and are getting ready to move up to the newer Garmin 7200 which has a 7 inch screen. One of the many upgraded features in the 7200 is that instead of the "polite lady's voice" saying turn right in 2 tenths of a mile she says turn right on "Tropicana Street" in 2 tenths of a mile. It helps to know the street name ahead of time.

Quick Reply: ES Navigation