ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

This car saved me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 04:28 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This car saved me!

I was on my way to San Diego yesterday morning. It's a 2 hour drive from Los Angeles, and the I-5 goes right through Orange County. Traffic was light, until south Orange County where people started slowing down. I was cruising at about 75 - 80 mph... I saw the brake lights from a distance....Then I realized I was going too fast to fully stop. I was on the left lane, so I swerved onto the wide left shoulder. The ES350's stability control allowed me to swerve left, brake and maintain control. The car behind me was going too fast as well, and consequently plowed into the car in front of me. I barely dodged the collision. I think the 2 drivers were seriously hurt or killed. I seriously think this ES350 prevented me from being "sandwiched" and possibly killed. I was shaking in cold sweat the rest of the morning.
Old 06-24-07, 04:48 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

That's awesome Exactly same thing happened to me in my old Mazda Protege years back (911-T slalom speed). Semi truck changed lanes real quick only to reveal traffic on the interstate had stopped. Quickests non Ferrari lane change evaaaaaar. LoL!

Sweet none-the-less. If my protege woulda had SC I prolly wouldn't have flipped of backwards off a cliff bawahahahaha

Computers as driving aids = greatest idea of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-07, 01:34 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Glad to hear that you are ok, You never know when something like that can happen
Old 06-25-07, 11:52 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

First off, glad to see that you were able to avoid a potential accident and/or serious injury; second, nice to see that VSC works as intended.

Having said all of the above, I will say that it never should have come down to that--i.e., given your description of the events leading up to your emergency maneuver, it would appear that you could have avoided having to do what you did in order to avoid possibly rear-ending the vehicle in front of yours. I would also venture to guess that the guy behind you wasn't as fortunate 'cuz he was probably paying more attention (if at all) to the vehicle in front of him (yours), rather than scanning far ahead of and around his immediate surroundings. To put it another way--both you and the other driver were going way too fast, to the point that the only options were to either swerve around or rear-end the vehicle in front of you.

Put it this way--safety features such as VSC weren't designed to be used as crutches for drivers w/ less-than adequate driving skills...
Old 06-25-07, 12:17 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bizarro bro, I'm glad you are OK!!! I always wait for a good post from you, and you never disappoint I also sure hope drivers/passengers of those other cars were not hurt. Lets just hope and pray their airbags went off.
Old 06-26-07, 11:16 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
My bizarro bro, I'm glad you are OK!!! I always wait for a good post from you, and you never disappoint I also sure hope drivers/passengers of those other cars were not hurt. Lets just hope and pray their airbags went off.
Hey bizarro bro. Good to hear from ya. The car in front of me was an ES300. The car behind me was a Honda Accord. Their airbags should have saved them, but the crash was very ugly.

I'm going to have to agree that I was not driving very carefully. I had 4 hours of sleep the night before, and was actually dozing off. There are many sleepy drivers on the road, so we all just have to be more careful. Trust me, I have learned my lesson. One does not get freebies everyday.