Synching the iPhone with the ES 350 ML Nav

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 10:21 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Synching the iPhone with the ES 350 ML Nav

Anyone planning on getting an iPhone?

When you do, I'm curious to see how it will sync with the ES 350 Mark Levinson Navigation unit. Specifically, I'm wondering if you will be able to transfer the address book and if so, is it just one record at a time, or the whole book at a time?
Old 06-29-07, 04:15 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Anyone planning on getting an iPhone?

When you do, I'm curious to see how it will sync with the ES 350 Mark Levinson Navigation unit. Specifically, I'm wondering if you will be able to transfer the address book and if so, is it just one record at a time, or the whole book at a time?
I was wondering when someone was gonna pop an iPhone/ES 350 post--LOL!!!

From what I hear, the iPhone doesn't support OBEX...which if indeed true, means no address book transfer...IF I understand what OBEX is and how it works.

As far as getting one--I'm on the fence...my wife would kill me if I bought one, my "I gotta have one" part of the brain is telling me to get one, and the more sensible part of my brain is telling me to wait for version 2 which undoubtedly will address some of the shortcomings of version 1. None of the shortcomings are necessarily deal-breakers for me personally...but it irks me somewhat to discover that some these features that aren't (initially) being offered on the iPhone are pretty much standard fare on many less-expensive (and, less evolutionary) cell phones.
Old 06-29-07, 05:09 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toneman
...but it irks me somewhat to discover that some these features that aren't (initially) being offered on the iPhone are pretty much standard fare on many less-expensive (and, less evolutionary) cell phones.
Go Tony...just get it.

I know exactly what you mean, though. The lack of BT & OBEX functionality on many expensive 'smart' phones is a complete mystery. I've got dozens of hacks and JETware on my 8525 and it barely does everything some $100 phones do. Sigh....

Sorry for the tangent. It'll be very interesting to see where the iPhone goes with their connectivity...and how much change they drive from the vehicle manufacturers. Who needs an aux jack when you have a stereo bluetooth connection to your iPhone/pod, for example?
Old 06-29-07, 08:01 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want one, but I am going to wait for the report from the early adopters, and THEN....
Old 06-29-07, 08:21 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody mentioned that the iPhone might cause 'unintended acceleration' of your wallet.
Old 06-29-07, 10:02 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

I'll test it out tomorrow and let you guys know. I just picked up two of them.
Old 06-30-07, 09:40 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Thankfully, I didn't have to reprogram the addresses in the phonebook, so it was just a matter of synchronizing the iPhone with the vehicle. It syncs nicely.
Old 07-03-07, 11:37 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default but could you xfer address book?

im kinda getting into the whole cell phone hacking thing ,but the iphone doesnt support obex??? REALLY??!!!
Old 07-10-07, 12:23 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

This iphone looks kinda cool, but im reluctant to get it cus it looks more hype than practical. It's not a blackberry killer, and it is expected to have all the 1st generation gadget problems. I got the 24" iMac when it first came out and I am NOT luvin it.
Old 07-10-07, 09:34 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Well that's one thing I learned here, never get the first one out!! Lol.
Old 07-10-07, 10:26 PM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone with an iPhone tell me if it displays cell signal strength and battery level? Or just CID?
Old 07-11-07, 03:18 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KJG
Can anyone with an iPhone tell me if it displays cell signal strength and battery level? Or just CID?
It shows both.
Old 07-11-07, 03:29 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
This iphone looks kinda cool, but im reluctant to get it cus it looks more hype than practical. It's not a blackberry killer, and it is expected to have all the 1st generation gadget problems. I got the 24" iMac when it first came out and I am NOT luvin it.
The operative term you used is "looks". The technology press writers mostly disagree with you. I really don't think you can say that with an expert authority until you've actually played with it for a few hours. The iPhone replaces both my phone and my iPod and it does it perfectly. While I will still carry my blackberry, I've gone down from 3 units to 2. Apple never promised this as a blackberry killer, nor for corporations. And for the segment of the market, clearly this unit delivers, or else you would not have seen the huge demand when it was in the stores.

While it would ideally have several more functions than it does, they are not deal killers (e.g. ability to assign music in your library to your ringtones, louder volume, etc). But what I love is the Google Maps function, the ability to easily shoot/send photos, SMS messaging, and email. It does these 3 things vastly better than my Motorola Razr which it replaced. I will easily be able to check flight info at the gate and this was something that I could not do before. The key thing I have noticed is that this device makes some things very easy and changes the way I use a smartphone.
Old 07-12-07, 02:42 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
...they are not deal killers (e.g. ability to assign music in your library to your ringtones, louder volume, etc).
Forgive me if some of you folks disagree with the following, but I cannot think of any valid reason other than Apple looking to make more money off of clueless iPhone owners as to why they didn't include the ability to use free custom ringtones to begin with...can you? It's not too difficult to implement--many other less-expensive (and less-robust) phones have the capability...

But what I love is the Google Maps function...
Too bad you still have to manually input your current location in order to get accurate turn-by-turn directions if you're trying to figure out how to get there...but I will concede that it was nice of Apple to include it.

the ability to easily shoot/send photos, SMS messaging, and email. It does these 3 things vastly better than my Motorola Razr which it replaced.
At $500-$600, it very well should be able to...but at the same time, it's a shame that at those prices it can't do other things that phones costing much less than the iPhone can do. Now, people may argue that the RAZR cost nearly that much when it was first released; perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet that the iPhone will never outsell the RAZR--which BTW is the best-selling mobile phone model of all-time, in terms of units sold. Why? Simple--I seriously doubt that AT&T will offer subsidized iPhones for near-free...not when there were lots of people who were more than willing to pay full price WITH a 2-year contract commitment for one.

But hey...as long as you love it, that's all that really matters. Me? I'll wait for an improved iPhone model to come out...and we all know it's only a matter of time before one does.
Old 08-12-07, 06:04 PM
Lexus_Jim
Driver School Candidate

It is very predictable on most of the car forums that I frequent.

People who do not have something (in this case an iPhone) have all kinds of negative things to say about it. And everyone who does have the item, loves it.

It was the same when the RX400h came out in 2006. Many people, who did not own one, had lots of negative things to say about them. Everyone who had one, loved it.

I love my RX400h. The RX400h is a great car for all types of driving. Plenty of cargo space. Enough get-up and go for a daily driver. A nice interior with some cool features.

I love the iPhone (enough to buy them for my wife and my Engineering Manager too). The iPhone is the best phone I have ever had (I have had a bunch; I got my first cell phone in 1987). It should be upgradeable through iTunes (they have already released new firmware to address some minor issues) and I expect that new functions will be added to it in the future. Some for free. Some for money.

If I have to buy new iPhones later to get some added functionality that I want, no problem. I am sure that one of my relatives or friends would like to take my old iPhones as a gift.

Quick Reply: Synching the iPhone with the ES 350 ML Nav