ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Hit and Run... Did I act irrational?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 08:46 PM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I doubt the dispatcher told you that you "rock" for taking it into your own hands. I was in a similar situation about 5 years ago, and when I called it in to 911 and explained that I was following the guy that hit me, the first thing they told me to do is to pull over and stop. The police don't want you escalating the situation.

I understand why you reacted the way you did, but in the future your best course of action is to call it in and stay put until a cop gets there.

By the way, I can't believe you didn't accept the AARP card...those things are gold, baby!
The dispatcher really did say that! My passenger was surprised the police did not tell me the same thing they told you.

I'm still not sure what I was supposed to do with the AARP card....
Old 07-02-07, 06:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have done the same thing. I don't think you raged or were irrational...you just wanted justice.

Simple as that people.
Old 07-10-07, 12:18 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I agree with the above.... you coulda been killed. But at least you have a nice story and live to tell about it

I think you should carry a gun and shoot those people who try to flee the scene. I mean anyone who flees a scene deserves to get shot. I wish you had played with those junkies before cops arrived. You coulda tripped her and made her face hit the asphalt. That woulda been funny. Or you coulda thrown a brick at the male companion as he attempted to flee on foot. A nice brick exploding on the back of a skull is quite a sight to see. I seriously think the penalty is too light for these people...i mean they coulda killed some innocent people with their crap-on-wheels. You shoulda just shot them and then called the cops and claim self defense.
Old 07-10-07, 06:05 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These incidents will become the norm as the chances of getting caught without insurance or a license for that matter are rather slim. Uninsured drivers approach 30% in some states!
JU
Old 07-10-07, 06:30 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In hindsight and as an outsider its easy to say that you should have been more concerned about your safety. I agree with those statements. But in your situation.. I would have done the same thing. I did, once a truck gave me a nice little bump on the freeway and didn't even stop. I chased him down, got the plates, but because it all happened so fast, I wasn't sure if it was the right truck. So I never called it in or did anything about it. But I remember the feeling of rage that came over me at that instant, and so I understand how you acted.
Old 07-10-07, 11:53 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vigilante Justice

Is the best justice!
Old 07-12-07, 03:18 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I think you should carry a gun and shoot those people who try to flee the scene. I mean anyone who flees a scene deserves to get shot. I wish you had played with those junkies before cops arrived. You coulda tripped her and made her face hit the asphalt. That woulda been funny. Or you coulda thrown a brick at the male companion as he attempted to flee on foot. A nice brick exploding on the back of a skull is quite a sight to see. I seriously think the penalty is too light for these people...i mean they coulda killed some innocent people with their crap-on-wheels. You shoulda just shot them and then called the cops and claim self defense.
You're just only joking, right? 'Cuz if you shoot someone who is "fleeing" away from you...you'd be in just as much cr*p than that person, from a legal standpoint. Not to say that such a perp doesn't deserve what's coming to him/her, but what you're suggesting is just way out there...
Old 07-14-07, 08:36 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Answer to your question, no you did the wrong thing but it worked out OK. Get the plate number the first thing next time somebody belts you and then save yourself the drama. Interesting story though and thanks for sharing it.
Old 07-15-07, 11:05 AM
bobbozzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toneman
You're just only joking, right? 'Cuz if you shoot someone who is "fleeing" away from you...you'd be in just as much cr*p than that person, from a legal standpoint. Not to say that such a perp doesn't deserve what's coming to him/her, but what you're suggesting is just way out there...
Actually, it was legal to shoot a fleeing felon in the past:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

Not that I'd recommend it in this case.
Old 07-15-07, 09:34 PM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CRB
Answer to your question, no you did the wrong thing but it worked out OK. Get the plate number the first thing next time somebody belts you and then save yourself the drama. Interesting story though and thanks for sharing it.
When I first got out of the car to speak with the other driver, I thought of getting the plate number, but didn't. Was kicking myself for that when she took off -- could not believe I was lucky enough to find her, or that she was dumb enough to go through a drive-thru after hitting me.

Hopefully I won't be rear-ended again, but photographing the plate with my cell phone is the 1st thing I'll do if it ever does happen again.
Old 07-17-07, 12:28 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobbozzo
Actually, it was legal to shoot a fleeing felon in the past:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

Not that I'd recommend it in this case.
Fair enough...except it can be used only if the person has a valid belief that the fleeing felon poses a significant threat of death or serious injury to the person and/or to others. In the hypothetical scenario taken from the events described at the beginning of this thread, one would be hard-pressed to prove that the FLEEING hit-and-run person still posed a significant thread of death or serious injury to anybody; IOW it is not justifiable to use deadly force on a fleeing felon just for the sole purpose of making sure he doesn't get away--especially if said felon is unarmed...at least that's how it would be argued here in the U.S.
Old 07-22-07, 09:44 PM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

I am also a person with a cool head and long fuse but cross the line and I would have reacted just as you did. What happened to you was outright outrageous!! I don't think it was out of line at all. I would have been just a bit more defensive and cautious.

Like others said, they could have been armed. I wouldn't have gotten out of the car once at the McDonalds. You could have yelled at a distance through your window. While staying on the phone with police and getting the plate number. Why? Staying in the car dosen't mean you're chicken, it's just smart. Even cops use their car like "armor". Fleeing the scene shows they are pretty gutsy and anything goes. They could even try to run you over! Say you stayed in the car; had they had pulled out something, you could duck in your car or peel out quick. Even in self defense ram their vehicle. Also if they tried to flee again you could box them in.

If they got away again somehow I would continue to follow them and stay on the phone with the police. Their policy is to tell you to tell you to let them do the searching/chasing if they got away. Or if you are following them, get the plate number and pull over and let them handle it. The hell with that!!! I would keep following them and insist a cop pull you both over on the scene. It would be more proof that he was fleeing the scene.

They like to tell you that their policies are designed to protect you. If you ask me cops could care LESS!!! They deal with accidents all day and unless someone is dying on the scene they really don't give a damn. They just want some simple brief facts and they don't care how you feel or about your extrangous details or circumstances. They just ask you some standard questions that probably don't pertain to you and don't let you talk more than that. Over here in IL the jerks don't even want to come to the accident scene! How can you prove any manner of fault like that?? WTF do we pay them for then?

You've been done wrong and actually did a smart thing by doing the cop's job by catching this criminal. Now take this sucker to court! It may interfere with work but hopefully going to court is the most understandable reason to miss a day. It's not about money here, it's just about justice and fairness. You may have small damage to your bumper but it wasn't there before, someone caused it. You don't need to be Mr. Niceguy and swallow that. Just as you worked hard to buy your beautiful car, someone will have to work hard to make up for it and repair it. You are not a bad person to expect that. I don't know how the laws are in your state for uninsured offenders but see what works out best for you. It will be worth it in the end and will at least teach a lesson to this criminal in the least.

You did leave the scene as well but see what the law says about this to the letter. (remember the courts many times care about money over a lot of other things and will assume you don't know the law as well as them. It is up to you to educate and defend yourself. Trust no one even if they are in a position of authority.)

Research the laws they broke as much as you can and prepare your case solid with some evidence like pics diagrams etc. etc. and nail them hardcore. Predict any defense they can possibly come up with so you can destroy them on the spot. It's all about who did the research, is better prepared and assertive. Trust me you can't lose if you play it smart and they will pay what's coming to them. Good luck.

Last edited by rockfeller; 07-22-07 at 09:47 PM.