ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My opinion about the ES350

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 07:18 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My opinion about the ES350

This is my opinion about the 2007 Lexus ES350 luxury sedan.

It is not a high-power car bursting with sport’s car performance and road-hugging handling like a BMW 550 or Infiniti M45. Instead, I find the ES350 to be an automobile of rich and comfortable luxury, stylish in design, lavishly appointed and fully featured with advanced safety and technical features.

This persona does not make the ES350 underpowered or sluggish. To the contrary, its V6 engine quickly propels the car from a full stop, cruises at highway speeds without effort and thrusts to pass on the interstate with gusto when peddled to the floor. It does all of these things quietly, with stability and exquisite smoothness.

The ES350 is the automobile for those who want to possess a car of comfort and ambiance; a true luxury car at a reasonable cost.

Although it is not an automobile that stimulates the visceral senses, for me it is the right fit and I am pleased that I bought mine ten days ago.
Attached Thumbnails My opinion about the ES350-8-2007-lexus-es350-sedan-right-side.jpg  
Old 06-30-07, 09:40 AM
Fiat Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just bought my 350 last night but I agree with your assessment. It's a very comfortable car but without being stodgy. (My Avalon is almost as comfortable and in some ways better for lots of passengers but it's definitely towards the "stodgy" end of the spectrum, being mistaken for a gunboat in dim lighting.) I'm just bracing myself for the first ding from a car door or kicked up pebble...I loathe the prospect so much that I wonder if I should just do it myself to get it over with.
Old 06-30-07, 09:48 AM
carbuff
Driver

Default Clear Shield protection

Fiat Lexus, I too think am somewhat concerned about getting dinged. Living where I do, pebbles and the like get kicked-up and create blemishes on the front of cars.

To prevent some from doing surface damage, I had a process called Cear Sheild applied to the front and hood of my ES350. It serves as an invisible bra and does help. I had it applied on two former cars and it worked quite well.

Good luck with your ES. Hope it proves to be all that you expect. So far, mine has exceeded my expectations.
Old 06-30-07, 10:24 AM
Fiat Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. Is that something the dealership will do or is it a third-party service and, if so, from where?
Old 06-30-07, 12:10 PM
carbuff
Driver

Default Clear Shield protection

My dealer provided this service. The cost was $1,400.

The company is Bekaert. They are headquartered in San Diego, CA. You can find a local dealer by going to their website:

http://www.clearshield.com/

At that site is also information concerning the process.

I do not know if local Clear Shield dealers (as opposed to car dealerships) charge a lower price than what I paid.

But, as I said before, I have used this process for past cars and found it to be an excellent product.C
Old 06-30-07, 04:25 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3m clear bra on mine. Hood, front bumper, front fenders, and side mirrors. $650 installed at dealership by an aftermarket company. Dealer put a warranty on the bra for life. I love it.

As to the car, it is everything I want and need as well. Been disappointed with the rattles and tranny. Otherwise, great bang for the buck.

Last edited by MD350; 06-30-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-30-07, 08:53 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we are on a topic of clear bra, just want to add that its a MUST for our cars. I got VentureShield clear bra installed just recently, and you can check out pictures and read more about it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=289973

3M and VentureShield are the two most popular brands with a lifetime warranty and the latest technology (no UV, no yellowing, etc.). Regarding the price, dealers do take you "for a ride". Do some research to find out which product suits you better, go to their website and locate certified installer. This way you shouldn't pay more than $500. Good luck!
Old 06-30-07, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Great post and description of the ES 350!
Old 06-30-07, 10:12 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to be a downer when it comes to these clear coverings, but I also had this done by my dealer on my previous '03ES Lexus. Everything is true about these products protecting against pebbles and road crap that gets kicked up onto the bumper.
Now here's my tale of woe. My car was parked on the street. It seems that another car backed into my car and put a hole right through this 3M plastic film on my front bumper. I went to my dealer and was told that this plastic film had to be removed before the necessary body work and repainting could be done. Normally this repair, had I not had the plastic film applied would have cost me about $150 for body work and repainting, but now I would have to pay, $50 to remove the film, $150 for body work and repainting, plus $325 to put on new plastic film. At this point I decided not to reapply this film. My reasoning was that there was no insurance for this type of damage, and it wasn't worth the added expense in the event that this could easily happen again. Neither 3M or any of the other companies mentioned will honor their warranties in this type of situation.
Old 06-30-07, 10:36 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the film is almost always the same 3M stuff. When you see 'clearshield', 'clearbra', or 'cleararmor' you're seeing brand names of the shops who obtain vehicle templates, do the cutting, and of course the installation.

Talk with your installer - I've found that it's better to work direct on this stuff, as opposed to going through a dealer. Many will work with you on reapplication in the case of an accident. Obviously it won't be free and certainly isn't a function of warranty coverage, but most of tlese guys play fair. I've taken three cars to my local shop, and have steered four or five more customers their way, and the benefits of such a relationship are really valuable.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Congrats on your new ES, and your comments are spot-on. It's a terrific car and a great value - in purchase price as well as gasoline costs. I can't think of a more nicely equipped vehicle that gets 30mpg on the highway.
Old 07-01-07, 02:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I will have to plug in our own exclusive clear bra vendor Aerotect. They are SoCal locals that have been serving CL since 2003. I helped bring them aboard to CL due to their impeccable service and quality. Aerotect uses both 3M and VentureTape films.

www.aerotect.net
Old 07-01-07, 07:27 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice write-up on the ES350
Old 07-01-07, 07:33 AM
Macklin
Advanced

AMF, I saw one of your pervious posts about your woes with the clear bra and that is the reason I decided not to do it. BTW, my local tinting shop, who I use on my cars and windows at home, wanted like $650 to do mine. I now wish I had done it. But, the new paint pencils that Lexus sells do work well....

And yes, that is a spot on review of our cars. I want luxury over performance. But this car does have some get up and go for sure.

VV, are you only getting 30 on the highway? I get 33 in real numbers (the computer typically reads over 34) if I fill up, get right up on the interstate and cruise for a long while.
Old 07-25-07, 10:51 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I have the 3M on the front bumper (top to bottom) mirrors, fenders, and 18" on the hood - got it installed for $485. They redid the bumper as there were some imperfections in the installation. How could you own such a car and not protect it. 1 or 2 small rock chips avoided make it well worthwhile.
Old 07-26-07, 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
The ES350 is the automobile for those who want to possess a car of comfort and ambiance; a true luxury car at a reasonable cost.

Although it is not an automobile that stimulates the visceral senses, for me it is the right fit and I am pleased that I bought mine ten days ago.
I'm so happy to hear that the ES350 is the perfect car for you.

Congratulations!

It is funny to see that most of our members (who are performance oriented auto enthusiasts) cannot find the virtues of the ES350. I'm glad to see that you do.