ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 04:21 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine, like nearly all the others, is on cold start up.
Old 01-28-08, 04:30 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Go back to post #74.

Originally Posted by onepointon
The cold start-up knock is due to piston slap. Both the RX350's and ES350's do it, you just have to be in the right conditions to hear it. I have been told by many people through the chain that its a normal condition.

What I have been told is that when they designed the new engine, they used new metals, along with smaller piston skirts to reduce weight and rotating mass. Under cold start-up conditions, there is a litter extra tolerance that allows the knocking sound. The sides of the pistons are coated with a teflon type material that will prevent any damages to the sidewalls. This information isn't secret, we have been telling our customers this since the weather has been cold and concerns started rolling in. The best thing you can do is allow your vehicle to properly warm up on a cold morning.

As far as replacing the engine to get rid of the noise, that is incorrect. As far as I have been told, there are no updated pistons, shortblocks, or any other parts inside of the engine. It is just a 'normal' characteristic of the engine unfortunately.
If you go back a page, I gave some technical information on what is going on. I hope that is helpful to you.
Old 01-28-08, 05:15 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, not to beat a dead horse, but is there any damage going on when we hear this noise? Or is it just a nuisance?
Old 01-28-08, 05:52 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Its just a noise as far as I am told. My FTS told me that the pistons are coated with a teflon type material that will not damage the cylinder walls, which is one of the reasons they are just writing it off as a normal concern. If they suspected the engines were getting some sort of damage, I am pretty positive there would be some type of field fix for this.

I personally have not had one apart to the extent of removing a piston, but that is what I am told. If I ever get the change to hold a piston in my hand, I will inspect to verify this, and maybe even snap a picture. I dont doubt that he is telling me the truth though.
Old 01-29-08, 05:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
So, not to beat a dead horse, but is there any damage going on when we hear this noise? Or is it just a nuisance?
In my state they view it as a defect covered under Lemon Law under the devalued clause and each claim of normal counts as a failed repair attempt, for which the automaker is given 3 chances to get rid of it. If you can demonstrate it to the state agent assuming it goes to that after giving Lexus notice of Lemon Law claim, you will get your money back

("In a recent article in the Detroit Free Press, Charlie Vogelheim, an executive from Kelly Blue Book, said "a knocking engine could lower the value of a vehicle by $4000 to $6000 at trade-in.")

I did a google search on it and it seems many point out the damage this does though none quite as colorful or blunt as the first answer of the exchange below

(It has a noise when first starting up which the mechanic calls "piston slap." He says it's nothing to worry about, but I have only a 90 day warranty and wonder if something should be done. Tom
Ray: Yes. Something should be done. This mechanic needs a good piston slap on the side of the head.
Tom: Piston slap is not "nothing to worry about." It means that the piston is moving around inside the cylinder. And even though it may take a long time to get worse, this signals the beginning of the end for this engine.
Ray: If you were buying a 30 year old Dodge Dart from my brother, and paying 300 bucks for it, then you might be willing to accept a little piston slap as part of the deal. But it's unacceptable on a car that's only three years old.
Tom: You can check with Chrysler, because it should be covered under the vehicle's original 7/70 warranty. But if not, you should immediately complain about this problem in writing (so you have documentation for your warranty claim). And at the same time, I'd get a second opinion (also in writing) from another mechanic. You're going to need all the evidence you can get, because this is big trouble.
Ray: Right. And rebuilding your engine is probably the last thing this used car salesman wants to do. So when you go to confront him, in addition to the evidence, it wouldn't hurt to bring any friends of yours who also happen to be NFL linebackers. Good luck, Tom.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...tember/07.html
Old 01-29-08, 06:05 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

So, we are covered up to 70K miles on the engine. The question is what happens after that? The 800 customer service number told me verbally that Lexus would cover me if there is failure due to the noise.

As you said Onepointon, no one really knows yet. But, 800 customer service did tell me to warm the car up before driving off so the noise does not appear.

I ask, why should I have to do this? A Chevy, yes...a Lexus, no!
Old 01-29-08, 12:41 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

I don't disagree with you. I wouldnt say its the beginning of the end for the engine, but, I can see it being unacceptable.

I am actually out on a company business trip at the moment. I brought the issue up to a few people worth talking to, and I just got a few shrugs of the shoulders. "Its an FTS issue, I havent heard much about it".

I am curious to see how it plays out.
Old 01-29-08, 12:54 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The 800 customer service rep stated she sent out a few factory reps out to listen to these engines on customer's cars. They indeed heard the noise, but it was deemed normal. The operator was very well aware of my issue and seemed familiar with it. So, customers must be calling about it, but nothing is being done.

Again, thanks!
Old 01-29-08, 01:07 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

The 800 customer service rep stated she sent out a few factory reps out to listen to these engines on customer's cars. They indeed heard the noise, but it was deemed normal. The operator was very well aware of my issue and seemed familiar with it. So, customers must be calling about it, but nothing is being done.

Again, thanks!
I kid you not, the first time I heard of the noise is when I called TAS (Technical Assistance System). I was on hold waiting for a product engineer for an unrelated diagnostic call, and there was a recording explaining concerns over piston slap in certain parts of the country expeirencing cold weather. They said in the recording that the condition was normal. Thats when I started probing around about the issue and found what I found. I was told it was normal before I even knew it was an issue.
Old 01-29-08, 02:38 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Its just a noise as far as I am told. My FTS told me that the pistons are coated with a teflon type material that will not damage the cylinder walls, which is one of the reasons they are just writing it off as a normal concern. If they suspected the engines were getting some sort of damage, I am pretty positive there would be some type of field fix for this.

I personally have not had one apart to the extent of removing a piston, but that is what I am told. If I ever get the change to hold a piston in my hand, I will inspect to verify this, and maybe even snap a picture. I dont doubt that he is telling me the truth though.
one,

Just tell us if in any way this could be the FTS
you are talking to about piston slap

http://www.fanforhire.com/images/comical_ali.jpg
Old 01-29-08, 03:16 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

apparently Chevy owners are no more tolerant of it than Lexus owners,

Though I have to say Lexus owners complain with more reserve, more polite about it so it seems than Chevy owners who have a Wild West approach or Aussie Outback approach to problem resolution.

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos/tahoe_ad_2.jpg
Old 01-29-08, 04:06 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Can you imagine if I lettered up my lexus like that Tahoe? LOL
Old 01-29-08, 04:09 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
apparently Chevy owners are no more tolerant of it than Lexus owners,

Though I have to say Lexus owners complain with more reserve, more polite about it so it seems than Chevy owners who have a Wild West approach or Aussie Outback approach to problem resolution.

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos/tahoe_ad_2.jpg

Haha, my co-worker and I got a good laugh out of that.
Old 01-29-08, 04:54 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Can you imagine if I lettered up my lexus like that Tahoe? LOL
LOL...no cannot quite picture it yet, but if you start posting you have picked up a serious SKOAL habit and announce a weekend of hog hunting by the hog hugging method I'll know to be on the lookout for a lettered up pic on here.

Actually seems you could order the letters from that Tahoe owner, mentions some graphics company if you look close enough and I loved the told "it's normal" he somehow got on there
Old 02-02-08, 07:42 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Haha, my co-worker and I got a good laugh out of that.
I actually thought you would get a laugh over the Baghdad Bob as your FTS contact.

Hope your trip went well.

Quick Reply: Engine noise