ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

They don't make my favorite Lexus anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 10:11 PM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They don't make my favorite Lexus anymore...

Remember that Lexus LS400 commercial back in 1989? The one where an LS drobe over railroad tracks with wine glasses stacked on top of the hood in a pyramid?

That was the Lexus LS that I aspired to own. A little over a year ago, I purchased my second Lexus - a 2005 LS 430. It was an amazing car, but a touch too small..

Lexus really doesn't make that car anymore. The LS430 rode exactly the way I wanted a car to ride. Extremely soft over bumps - so soft that road imperfections could not be felt.

There were a lot of BMW and Mercedes owners laughing about the LS being a "boring" car to drive because the driver was so "detached" from the road. That driving the car was "uneventful". I had a strong feeling that Lexus was reading those writings - and I knew they'd address that issue with the LS460.

Unfortunately me for, this is exactly what I didn't want. And I'm obviously not the only one. I'm having trouble with the idea of purchasing the LS460 because of this. I want, more than anything, for my passengers to be as comfortable as they possibly can. This is why I don't want a BMW 7-Series or (to a lesser extent) a Mercedes S-Class. I want the softest riding vehicle in the world.

I felt the LS430 was exactly that - AND I felt it handled appropriately...

So now that the LS430 is no longer this vehicle - what's stopping Lexus from making the ES that soft, detached, uneventful experience? If the flagship is going to sacrifice some ride-comfort for handling ability, what damage would it do to make the ES the softest riding vehicle in the line-up?
Old 07-14-07, 09:02 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

The ES350 has gone through several renderings over this year, the ride has been spring soft to a little to firm to they finally got it right which was the 01/07 ES350 I had. Smooth riding, not to soft, not to firm almost to where a 03/ LS430 ride is (my sisters car).
Old 07-14-07, 09:06 AM
LexFather

I honestly think this is the best handling,driving ES and I've driven all, including my manual outside.

Especially compared to the last generation, the new one is really a revelation driving wise.
Old 07-14-07, 09:48 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I honestly think this is the best handling,driving ES and I've driven all, including my manual outside.

Especially compared to the last generation, the new one is really a revelation driving wise.

I have a 350 loaner right now for the weekend, and power and comfort wise I would say its leaps and bounds over our 2ES'. Handling wise though it doesn't seem all that much better. Feels a lot 'floatier' and rolls a lot more in turns. Overall its a great car, but I would take my manual with some extra hp over this any day.
Old 07-14-07, 10:18 AM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

If they could just make the new ES drive like the previous LS, I'd be extremely happy with it. Ideally, for me, it needs to hide road imperfections / handle as well as the LS430 did. I don't think it would clash with the LS now that it's taken on a different character in this regards...
Old 07-14-07, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Shao Khan
If they could just make the new ES drive like the previous LS, I'd be extremely happy with it. Ideally, for me, it needs to hide road imperfections / handle as well as the LS430 did. I don't think it would clash with the LS now that it's taken on a different character in this regards...
That is never going to happen. The ES, while fantastic, is still FWD and Camry based. The LS has always been the flagship, the best Lexus has to offer. A LS will drive better overall, it does cost twice as much.

Originally Posted by MCG33
I have a 350 loaner right now for the weekend, and power and comfort wise I would say its leaps and bounds over our 2ES'. Handling wise though it doesn't seem all that much better. Feels a lot 'floatier' and rolls a lot more in turns. Overall its a great car, but I would take my manual with some extra hp over this any day.
Really, I thought it drove significantly sportier than the last model. It is harsher to me, which some previous buyers might not want.

I think if you slap some really good tires on the ES, it could be something. Its no IS but not bad at all.
Old 07-14-07, 05:07 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you try RX350? In comparison to my previous ES350, that one was even more "floatier" The loaner I had was so bad that I had to slow down to 15-20mph at every turn feeling the car going to roll over. I actually heard the same opinion from a few other people who mentioned new RX350 having the most comfortable (read: soft) ride out of the whole Lexus line up. Give it a spin and see if you agree!
Old 07-14-07, 08:03 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Really, I thought it drove significantly sportier than the last model. It is harsher to me, which some previous buyers might not want.

I think if you slap some really good tires on the ES, it could be something. Its no IS but not bad at all.

Unfortunately I have only ever driven a 1st, 2nd, and now 5th gen ES, so I can't compare to the previous two models. But after driving it around a lot today (in both dry and nasty rain we had today), I am a little more impressed with the handling. Only thing is I don't know if it is because they are worn or what, but the tires on the loaner car suck for Michelins. I get tire spin almost every time I take off, even if I'm not really punching it. The car only has 5000 miles on it so I can't imagine them being that worn out, and they look fine.

I agree though throw some really grippy tires and lower it a little bit, and it would match up with the amount of power this car has now.
Old 07-14-07, 08:45 PM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

The RX350 has a softer ride than the ES350?
Old 07-14-07, 09:15 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Softness of the ride is a relative term. IMHO, while owning ES350 for 4 moths and also driving RX350 loaner on a few occasions, RX350 ride felt softer and more comfortable in terms of road numbness (which I absolutely hated, and you can see that I ended up with GS350). You have to be a judge of that and test drive both to see which one your prefer
Old 07-14-07, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MCG33
Unfortunately I have only ever driven a 1st, 2nd, and now 5th gen ES, so I can't compare to the previous two models. But after driving it around a lot today (in both dry and nasty rain we had today), I am a little more impressed with the handling. Only thing is I don't know if it is because they are worn or what, but the tires on the loaner car suck for Michelins. I get tire spin almost every time I take off, even if I'm not really punching it. The car only has 5000 miles on it so I can't imagine them being that worn out, and they look fine.

I agree though throw some really grippy tires and lower it a little bit, and it would match up with the amount of power this car has now.
Well Lexus marketed the 3rd gen as a sporty sedan at first but they got the damn picture and turned the 4th gen into a damn near Caddy with the float.

One reason for this was the IS 300 came along. Lexus had 2 products at the same price and I remember them saying they wanted the 2 to be on total opposite ends of the spectrum.

Fast forward to 2day, with the 5ES and 2IS and both have taken a page out each others book. The ES drives better and the IS has more luxury.
Old 07-16-07, 05:35 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

The suspension of the ES350 straight ahead over bumps, potholes and road imperfections is simply wonderful.

That said, it's handling characteristics otherwise are abysmal, There's a ridiculous amout of body lean and it desperately needs 15-20mm wider tires. It has no grip and it feels like the Queen Elizabeth going through "the twisties" (as they say in the car mags).
Old 07-16-07, 06:03 AM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

It's only driving enthusiasts that visit forums like this that care about body lean. 90% of drivers don't even think about how a car handles going up and down ramps or through twisties. The ES should drive as softly as an 01-06 LS (since Lexus doesn't have a vehicle which drives that way anymore) and handle well enough for the driver to maneuver out of an accident situation. Nothing more...
Old 07-16-07, 06:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Shao Khan
It's only driving enthusiasts that visit forums like this that care about body lean. 90% of drivers don't even think about how a car handles going up and down ramps or through twisties. The ES should drive as softly as an 01-06 LS (since Lexus doesn't have a vehicle which drives that way anymore) and handle well enough for the driver to maneuver out of an accident situation. Nothing more...
From what I've read, the Buick Lucerne and Lincoln Town Car still offer that type of ride/handling. Maybe the large Caddy does too, but not sure.
Old 07-16-07, 08:04 AM
Shao Khan
Driver School Candidate

I've always been very curious about that.. I wonder if anyone here has actually gone from a Lincoln Town Car to a Lexus LS and could give a good comparison.. Something tells me, however, that the Lexus LS used to be softer than the Town Car.. I'm almost positive the Lexus is quieter - but how much, I'm not sure about..

The Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne, basically the same car, likely ride harder than the Town Car. Build quality also concerns me there...