Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

More Recent Transmission Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 01:19 PM
justbass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ailp02
anyone know if the falre issue is resolved by the 4/07 build date?

Thanks
If you are asking about the failure date of flairing transmissions, then the posts above yours, state that a July 2007 date is still problematic.
Old 10-10-07, 06:33 PM
fran073
Driver School Candidate

Default From the problems thread....

From the problems thread....

Originally Posted by lt2211
TSB from Toyota on Camry 6 speed Transmission same as ES350

Toyota just released a new TSB (TC007-07) for the infamous U660E transmission to correct the flare (slipping) problem. This is, of course, applicable only to the V6 Camry (and Lexus ES350).

The TSB calls for reflashing the transmission computer with new firmware to fix the problem. It also states that if the new firmware doesn't do the trick, the transaxle needs to be replaced (of course, that was in the older TSBs, and didn't solve my problem nor that of numerous other posters).

My conclusion is that they identified two problems with the transmission: one mechanical and one related to programming. The mechanical one was identified months back when they released the valve body replacement TSB and the subsequent R/R transaxle TSB. The firmware update is what's new this time.

What's interesting is that the list of flares the TSB is supposed to fix involves more than just the 3-4 shift flare that's so obvious. Other shift flares that I see mentioned less on discussion boards (with the exception of Edmunds, which has a number of complaints about these) were listed. Also, the TSB says the flares are most noticeable after a cold soak, implying they can occur when the car is warmed up (something many of us already knew from experience).

* 3-4 upshift during first 10 minutes of operation
* 2nd - 3rd upshift
* 4th - 5th upshift
* 5th - 4th downshift when accelerating from coast or decelerating between 30 - 40 mph
Old 10-12-07, 07:16 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Today was my worst flare day todate-morning, lunch, evening-3 flares on first start after every "cold" start. One a day is bad enough but every time-come on Lexus this is a major problem and as many have said already it only get worst with age-I have 12k on mine and I fear with cold weather coming it will be even worst. One flare-lunch time- was 1200 rpms. Dealer still using same line-"normal charactristic" bull dung!!!!!
Old 10-13-07, 04:39 AM
meadoel
Rookie

With a flare history like that it's time to get serious. Start videotaping the flare so you have evidence it happened. Then decide if you want to get serious about pursuing a repurchase or not. Lexus still doesn't have a fix and continues to repurchase cars that can't be fixed.
Old 11-04-07, 06:07 PM
2 for 1

I have followed the transmission flare postings for a significant period of time with interest. It seems that the postings regarding the flare have slowed down since mid October. In my 07 ES350, I think I saw it maybe two or three times since I bought the car in May. The car is garage kept and even on the coldest days it never gets below 50 in the garage. The times I saw it, it had the typical cold 3 to 4 shift once a day in the morning. It is a January 07 build.

Tomorrow is my first service on this vehicle and I was contemplating having them do the firmware update. Any suggestions on this? Should I have them do it as a preventative measure? Could it make it worse?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-04-07, 10:02 PM
teamtbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2 for 1
I have followed the transmission flare postings for a significant period of time with interest. It seems that the postings regarding the flare have slowed down since mid October. In my 07 ES350, I think I saw it maybe two or three times since I bought the car in May. The car is garage kept and even on the coldest days it never gets below 50 in the garage. The times I saw it, it had the typical cold 3 to 4 shift once a day in the morning. It is a January 07 build.

Tomorrow is my first service on this vehicle and I was contemplating having them do the firmware update. Any suggestions on this? Should I have them do it as a preventative measure? Could it make it worse?

Thanks for any advice.
I highly recommend that you DO NOT reflash your ECU until Toyota/Lexus has figured out exactly what is causing the flare.

I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6 that I bought in February of 2007 (Build date 09/06). So far, I have had 2 tranny replacements and the ECU reflash. I still have the flare and am pursuing a buy back.

As a matter of fact, the flare became much more dramatic after the reflash (up to 1200 rpms). Also, they became more frequent (between 2-3rd and 3-4th and even after the car was running for a good 15-20 minutes).
Old 11-05-07, 06:26 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamtbo
I highly recommend that you DO NOT reflash your ECU until Toyota/Lexus has figured out exactly what is causing the flare.

I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6 that I bought in February of 2007 (Build date 09/06). So far, I have had 2 tranny replacements and the ECU reflash. I still have the flare and am pursuing a buy back.

As a matter of fact, the flare became much more dramatic after the reflash (up to 1200 rpms). Also, they became more frequent (between 2-3rd and 3-4th and even after the car was running for a good 15-20 minutes).
Wow, sorry to hear that. Thank you for your post, this is exactly why I am not having the flash performed. I will live with it and leave well enough alone.
Old 11-05-07, 10:18 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Wow, sorry to hear that. Thank you for your post, this is exactly why I am not having the flash performed. I will live with it and leave well enough alone.
A smart decision.
Old 11-14-07, 10:42 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow...this thread is really depressing.
Old 11-14-07, 10:49 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong forum
Old 11-15-07, 12:29 PM
WinesRus2
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I was lucky. I had the flare and about 5k miles back I took it to the dealer and they concurred that my tranny had a proplem. They did an ECU flash and that corrected the problem. Since then, no flares/slipping.
Old 11-15-07, 06:06 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WinesRus2
Maybe I was lucky. I had the flare and about 5k miles back I took it to the dealer and they concurred that my tranny had a proplem. They did an ECU flash and that corrected the problem. Since then, no flares/slipping.
You are the minority, for sure!
Old 11-16-07, 04:46 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Well folks, my time is done here. It was way too short, but I'm glad it's over. Today I signed the final papers turning my ES350 back over to Lexus after owning it for just under 9 months.

From the day I took posession of it I regretted the decision to purchase that car. 5 major repairs before my first oil change were more than I could handle. Every week brought a new problem, and I never once enjoyed driving it. Yes, the features are un-matched, and when it worked right the drive was very nice. But given that I never had a day in 9 months without something wrong with the car, I'm happy to see it gone.

I had plenty of small nit-picky issues with things not working or put together correctly, and I had rattles and squeaks to last a lifetime. The engine sounded like an 18 wheeler in cold weather. Finally, it was the endless transmission slip problems that did the car in.

I know that not all ES's have these problem... for those who don't you're very fortunate. For the rest of those who helped me through this ordeal I thank you. I'm now rid of a nightmare and enjoying my new G35.
Old 11-16-07, 05:32 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meadoel
Well folks, my time is done here. It was way too short, but I'm glad it's over. Today I signed the final papers turning my ES350 back over to Lexus after owning it for just under 9 months.

From the day I took posession of it I regretted the decision to purchase that car. 5 major repairs before my first oil change were more than I could handle. Every week brought a new problem, and I never once enjoyed driving it. Yes, the features are un-matched, and when it worked right the drive was very nice. But given that I never had a day in 9 months without something wrong with the car, I'm happy to see it gone.

I had plenty of small nit-picky issues with things not working or put together correctly, and I had rattles and squeaks to last a lifetime. The engine sounded like an 18 wheeler in cold weather. Finally, it was the endless transmission slip problems that did the car in.

I know that not all ES's have these problem... for those who don't you're very fortunate. For the rest of those who helped me through this ordeal I thank you. I'm now rid of a nightmare and enjoying my new G35.
Good luck and enjoy the G35. Mine is starting to slip more and more each day. It is really pissing me off. Not to mention the rattles. I really want to love this car, but the workmanship is **** poor.

Last edited by MD350; 11-16-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 06:01 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Originally Posted by MD350
Good luck and enjoy the G35. Mine is starting to slip more and more each day. It is really pissing me off. Not to mention the rattles. I really want to love this car, but the workmanship is **** poor.
Thanks.
So.....why are you tolerating it and not pursuing Lexus?

Quick Reply: More Recent Transmission Poll