ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Sirius/XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 11:36 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius/XM Install

I just got my ES350 on 7/18. I can't live without Sirius radio. The dealership told me it would be $680 to have them install. Anyone have any cheaper suggestions? I do not want a portable unit - it has to be integrated into the nav. Thanks for the help. It's good to be a part of the club.
Old 07-20-07, 11:10 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interface is made by a company here in Colorado called Vais Technology. You can google for their website. I have their 'SoundLinQ 2' (Model SL2s) and the Panasonic SIR-PAN1 Tuner. It is the only Sirius integration available right now. It sounds great through my ML surround system, but there are a few features missing that I feel should be there, specifically:

1. The PDT (Program Descriptive Text) does not scroll as it did on my $150 Sirius add on unit. The 7 inch display in my car is limited to only about 16 or so characters in each of the 2 PDT lines, leaving me left in the dark about the content in some cases.

2. I cannot scroll through other channels while continuing to listen to the current stream. Again, my add on unit in my previous ES allowed me to see what was playing on other channels without manually tuning to them.

3. I miss my TIVO like features of the add on unit, surely this could be done.

If anyone could tell me that I have any of these features, and for whatever reason do not know how to access them, please make my day!

BTW, I am sure that there are reputable 3rd party mobile entertainment installers that would install cheaper than Lexus or Lexus affiliated shops.
Possibly the VAIS website has links or customer service link.

Good Luck,

Fellow Sirius Junkie
Old 07-21-07, 12:17 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I personally have XM, but did pay about $600 to have it installed by the Lexus dealer. I could have saved some money elsewhere, but the unit is under warranty with the car for 4 yr 50K miles. So, I do have piece of mind.

If anything goes wrong with the radio or NAV unit, Lexus can't try to get out of a warranty claim by trying to blame my 3rd party XM radio installer.
Old 07-21-07, 01:39 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I personally have XM, but did pay about $600 to have it installed by the Lexus dealer. I could have saved some money elsewhere, but the unit is under warranty with the car for 4 yr 50K miles. So, I do have piece of mind.

If anything goes wrong with the radio or NAV unit, Lexus can't try to get out of a warranty claim by trying to blame my 3rd party XM radio installer.
Good move!
Old 07-22-07, 08:26 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ AccElan01: who is your dealership in NJ? If its Ray Catena, they only use one subcontracting shop. That's what I chose for the same reason as MD350 described above. You get a loaner for a day and warranty directly from dealership. Oh, and don't let them charge you a penny over $500. Again, I'm assuming you are dealing with RC dealership and they outside shop which does Vaistech SLS install. I also think there is finally an official Sirius kit available back from Lexus (for ES/GS/IS). It installs in the trunk through the existing wiring and comes with internal diamond antenna. They stopped offering it last year, but I think its back now. That kit is not as good as SLS, only 10 char limitation and crappy antenna. I would recommend going with SLS.
Old 07-23-07, 05:35 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Originally Posted by twister
@ AccElan01: who is your dealership in NJ? If its Ray Catena, they only use one subcontracting shop. That's what I chose for the same reason as MD350 described above. You get a loaner for a day and warranty directly from dealership. Oh, and don't let them charge you a penny over $500. Again, I'm assuming you are dealing with RC dealership and they outside shop which does Vaistech SLS install. I also think there is finally an official Sirius kit available back from Lexus (for ES/GS/IS). It installs in the trunk through the existing wiring and comes with internal diamond antenna. They stopped offering it last year, but I think its back now. That kit is not as good as SLS, only 10 char limitation and crappy antenna. I would recommend going with SLS.
My dealership is Lexus of Cherry Hill. They quoted me the $600+ price. I think I may just go with it because I want it done right and don't want to take any chances. I've found the unit from Sirius, but it costs $350. If I'm going to pay that to install it myself, I'd rather just pay the extra $ and have Lexus do it for me. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-23-07, 01:18 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I was going to buy the radio kit from Lexus Parts for $299 and install it myself but the dealership made a mistake and installed it. We settled on $380 installed for the radio so there is some wiggle room. The installation instructions don't look difficult at all.

-Robert
Old 07-26-07, 11:01 AM
ndg
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my car at Ray Catena. They quoted me $795 for XM, so I turned them down. I have considered checking with my local Philadelphia dealer to see what they charge. They weren't overly eager to give me a good price on the car, so I'm not optimistic. Thanks for the link to the install instructions. I may try that.
Old 08-03-07, 11:55 AM
stanturk
10th Gear

I put an add-on unit in the center console, and attached the mini plug to the AUX input and power from the cig lighter outlet, all in the console. Then I ran the antenna under the rear floormats, up the side of the back seat and onto the rear deck, next to the stoplight.

This setup work beautifully in my area. However, the audio quality is not as good as the CD player, or even the FM radio. Maybe it is a poor quality receiver.

Can anyone comment on the audio quality of the VAIS unit?

Last edited by stanturk; 08-03-07 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-07, 05:02 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Originally Posted by stanturk
I put an add-on unit in the center console, and attached the mini plug to the AUX input and power from the cig lighter outlet, all in the console. Then I ran the antenna under the rear floormats, up the side of the back seat and onto the rear deck, next to the stoplight.

This setup work beautifully in my area. However, the audio quality is not as good as the CD player, or even the FM radio. Maybe it is a poor quality receiver.

Can anyone comment on the audio quality of the VAIS unit?
This is what I am doing now with my Sirius S50. The only problem is that I am getting interference from the transmission. There is an audible hiss at low speeds when accelerating and decelerating. It's not a real big deal but I'm a perfectionist and it bothers me a little. I haven't decided for sure if I want to settle for this or just spend the $650 on the professional integrated install.

I've hooked an iPod up this way as well and got the same interference. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-06-07, 09:14 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

My Ipod sounds great through the aux jack in the console!
Old 08-08-07, 06:50 AM
stanturk
10th Gear

Today my dealer told me that they offer both XM and Sirius, without sending it to a third party shop, and without removing the dash. About $500 for the unit and four hours labor. (Total about $800) Does anyone know of a Sirius unit which plugs into the ES wiring harness in the trunk, like the XM does?