ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How to lock car and leave engine running foe a few minutes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 06:43 AM
ripper16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a solution, but did leave my car running for two hours while in a restaurant.

Next time, I'm listening to all the beeps and doing something about it.
Old 08-27-07, 09:43 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripper16
I don't have a solution, but did leave my car running for two hours while in a restaurant.

Next time, I'm listening to all the beeps and doing something about it.
How did you get your car in a restaurant?
Old 08-28-07, 04:44 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrshyvley
But regardless, in any engine that goes through excessive cycles of bearings rubbing together with little or no oil pressure as a needed buffer, camshafts and pistons waiting for oil splash and valve train parts waiting for oil, would have to suffer greater wear.
And I assume you say this based on personal experience, having had one of your vehicles experience accelerated engine wear because you had performed way too many engine start/stop cycles on it in the past and as such, decided to not make the same mistake twice.

I'm not saying that accelerated engine wear isn't possible due to the scenario you described, but let's be real here--did that actually happen to any one of the vehicles that you've owned and operated? If it did, then I'll eat crow and shut my mouth--otherwise...

Put it this way--I'd be willing to bet that many folks won't keep their cars long enough to have to deal w/ possible engine issues due to accelerated engine wear caused in part by multiple start/stop cycles; the longest I've owned and operated any of the vehicles I have purchased in my lifetime so far is I think 4 years; if (and that's a big IF--I don't purposely abuse my vehicles in any way) there was any engine wear due to my having cranked the engine so many times during that span--well, it ain't my problem anymore.
Old 08-28-07, 06:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
When I leave the engine running, take my key fob with me, and push the lock button, the car is not locked. How do I leave it running and locked?
It's called a husband.
Old 08-28-07, 07:39 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toneman
And I assume you say this based on personal experience, having had one of your vehicles experience accelerated engine wear because you had performed way too many engine start/stop cycles on it in the past and as such, decided to not make the same mistake twice.

I'm not saying that accelerated engine wear isn't possible due to the scenario you described, but let's be real here--did that actually happen to any one of the vehicles that you've owned and operated? If it did, then I'll eat crow and shut my mouth--otherwise...

Put it this way--I'd be willing to bet that many folks won't keep their cars long enough to have to deal w/ possible engine issues due to accelerated engine wear caused in part by multiple start/stop cycles; the longest I've owned and operated any of the vehicles I have purchased in my lifetime so far is I think 4 years; if (and that's a big IF--I don't purposely abuse my vehicles in any way) there was any engine wear due to my having cranked the engine so many times during that span--well, it ain't my problem anymore.
No, I must confess that I've never treated and engine like this, so I have no personal experience with the issue.

But I do come from a family that traditionally has kept our vehicles for many years, and drive them as long as they are mechanically sound, because it makes economic sense.
It's not been uncommon for me to have a 10+ year old car, that's still in good mechanical condition.
For example, I have a 1994 454ci GMC 3/4 ton 4WD pickup that's still going strong, and I have no plans to trade it in yet.
I just got back from a 625 mile trip to my cabin and back, loaded down with a 14 foot dual axle trailer, and had no problems.

Anyway, my opinion on this is based purely on my study of engines and of fooling with them for the last 35 years or so, and in observing the condition of other people's vehicles who treat them in ways that I don't.

When I go through in my mind what is happening mechanically when an engine is started, I can't help but agree with those who say that the majority of engine wear occurs when it is started.
Believing that to be the case, I logically have to believe that reducing the unnecessary start cycles over the life of a vehicle must add to the life of the engine.
The two cannot be mutually exclusive.
(especially when you keep a vehicle as long as I traditionally do)

In the end, I guess there will be those who disagree or agree with me, and many positions in between, and that's OK with me.
But I'll just stick with what I believe, and you're free to do the same.
Old 08-29-07, 04:18 AM
ripper16
Driver School Candidate

mrshyvley,

Your reasoning seems valid to me.

Oil falls into the oil pan. I would expect the conditions during startup are more likely to produce wear on the metal parts.
Old 08-29-07, 11:11 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Just so that there's no misunderstanding--I am not disagreeing that (excessive) engine startups can very well add to accelerated engine wear. The point I was trying to make was that IMHO I think applying this concept to the original topic (leave engine running for a few minutes rather than shutting/restarting engine) is taking it a bit too far. Are people really that concerned about engine wear that they would actually use it as a reason as to why they would rather leave the engine running for a few minutes instead of just shutting it off and then back on? Man, all I can say is that they must either be really OCD, or thinking way outside the box...
Old 09-02-07, 03:24 PM
gnm313
Driver

Has anyone tried leaving fob#2 in the car and locking it externally with fob#1?
Old 09-02-07, 04:05 PM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by gnm313
Has anyone tried leaving fob#2 in the car and locking it externally with fob#1?
Yes, that works.

But if you try locking with the button on the door handle with a FOB inside and a FOB outside, that doesn't work, it will sound a solid tone to let you know.
Old 09-06-07, 03:10 PM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by static
Yes, that works.

But if you try locking with the button on the door handle with a FOB inside and a FOB outside, that doesn't work, it will sound a solid tone to let you know.
Correction, if the engine is running, you cannot lock it from the FOB outside and second FOB inside.

I didn't check with the engine running when I posted above and I forgot that was what the original post was about.

Sorry.