ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How to lock car and leave engine running foe a few minutes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 10:29 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to lock car and leave engine running a few minutes?

When I leave the engine running, take my key fob with me, and push the lock button, the car is not locked. How do I leave it running and locked?

Last edited by 350Dave; 08-24-07 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 05:27 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 350Dave
When I leave the engine running, take my key fob with me, and push the lock button, the car is not locked. How do I leave it running and locked?
I believe the car is programmed so you can't do this, they don't want customers leaving the car running in error. It can happen, but they want to try to avoid it at all costs.

Here in Maryland about 4 months ago, an older man left his Lexus running in the garage. He went into his house. He died from the deadly fumes. It was all over the news.

With the push button start, it is an easy mistake to make.
Old 08-10-07, 02:56 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start car, unlock all doors, get out, close drivers door, open left rear door, reach in and lock the doors from the door lock mechanism on the drivers door, and than close the close rear door. This works on Acura. I am traveling so cannot test it myself right now.
Old 08-23-07, 12:23 AM
scoopcoupe
Driver School Candidate

Silly question, but why would you want to leave the engine running and go do something....?
Old 08-23-07, 01:13 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scoopcoupe
Silly question, but why would you want to leave the engine running and go do something....?
I for example, unplug my garage door opener when I'm out of town.
When I'm leaving town, or when I first get back to town, my car is in the driveway in front of my garage door for a few minutes running.
I hate doing the "start it up and immediately shut it off then start it up again" thing, and I hate the "shut it off then immediately start if up again" thing.

As the most wear to the engine occurs when it's being turned with 0 to little oil pressure, and on all my vehicles I've always tried to reduce the number of engine start cycles over the life of my vehicles.

Lucky for me, I have the 2007 Camry SE V6 version of this vehicle platform, and can get out and lock the car with the key when the car is running.

But I still can understand why in some cases, people would want to lock their car when it is running.
Old 08-23-07, 02:33 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrshyvley
I for example, unplug my garage door opener when I'm out of town.
When I'm leaving town, or when I first get back to town, my car is in the driveway in front of my garage door for a few minutes running.
I hate doing the "start it up and immediately shut it off then start it up again" thing, and I hate the "shut it off then immediately start if up again" thing.

As the most wear to the engine occurs when it's being turned with 0 to little oil pressure, and on all my vehicles I've always tried to reduce the number of engine start cycles over the life of my vehicles.

Lucky for me, I have the 2007 Camry SE V6 version of this vehicle platform, and can get out and lock the car with the key when the car is running.

But I still can understand why in some cases, people would want to lock their car when it is running.
I don't think the wear is appreciable, since Hybrid vehicles start and stop their engines constantly.
Old 08-23-07, 04:47 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amf1932
I don't think the wear is appreciable, since Hybrid vehicles start and stop their engines constantly.
Since hybrids haven't been mainstream for that long, time will tell their engine life expectancy.
It would be interesting to see how their engines are designed to operate in that environment.

But regardless, in any engine that goes through excessive cycles of bearings rubbing together with little or no oil pressure as a needed buffer, camshafts and pistons waiting for oil splash and valve train parts waiting for oil, would have to suffer greater wear.
For example, if I was going to buy a used car I'd never buy one that had been used as a delivery vehicle, where the engine typically goes through massive amounts of start cycles throughout it's life.

But I don't want to hijack a thread about getting out of your car and leaving the engine running for a few minutes with the doors locked, and turn it into a discussion how much it wears your engine out when you turn it on and off excessively.
So I'll just say, I know how I treat my vehicles, and how I will continue to treat them. You're free to do the same.
Old 08-23-07, 10:29 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I was hoping there was a simple answer when I started the thread!
Old 08-24-07, 07:44 AM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 350Dave
I was hoping there was a simple answer when I started the thread!
I won't say another word.
Old 08-24-07, 07:52 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

extensive idling is bad for your vehicle!

:-)
Old 08-24-07, 07:20 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Did anyone try my idea??? I'm still traveling in our motorhome so don't have the Lexus with me.

BTW, the reason you start your car and lock it is so it is NOT stolen during the time the heater/defroster is warming it up or when the A/C is pre-cooling it.
Old 08-25-07, 11:29 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Did anyone try my idea??? I'm still traveling in our motorhome so don't have the Lexus with me.

BTW, the reason you start your car and lock it is so it is NOT stolen during the time the heater/defroster is warming it up or when the A/C is pre-cooling it.
I was able to lock it as you suggested, not so easy to do (unless you have long arms or the seat is moved up). I had to use the key to unlock it, the buttons and fob won't unlock it.
Old 08-26-07, 06:51 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Static,

Thanks for tryiny it. Sounds like it is too much trouble.
Old 08-26-07, 11:41 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I am going to try with a 2nd key fob in the glove box, and see if i can lock it like that. My need (not that it is anyones business) is my small dog stays in the car for a few minutes, and the heat is too muck for me to want to shut off the A/C. This is also not "excessive" idling, as some have stated.
Old 08-27-07, 01:10 AM
static
Driver

My wife left her purse with FOB in it in the car once, we thought we locked it. When we came back later, found that the car had been unlocked the whole time. Now we make sure if we both have our FOBs with us, we take them both when we leave the car.

You may find a similar issue with leaving a FOB in the glove box.

Quick Reply: How to lock car and leave engine running foe a few minutes?