ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tires for Life Program

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 05:18 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for Life Program

My dealership offers a Tires for Life program. As long as I get every oil change at their dealership they will replace the tires for the life of the car. Their recommended frequency is every 5,000 miles. I have yet to get the first oil change (the first one is free) so I do not know the cost, but I believe it is around $50. Does anyone here partake in a similar program? Is it worth it? I am apprehensive of further cost like balancing, valve stems, disposal fees, etc. I may be getting free tires but it will probably still cost me $. As we all know the dealership must be making their money back somehow to pay for the tires. I usually get all my services done at the dealership anyway, but I'd like to know what everyone here has experienced or recommends.
Old 08-28-07, 07:10 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AccElan01
My dealership offers a Tires for Life program. As long as I get every oil change at their dealership they will replace the tires for the life of the car. Their recommended frequency is every 5,000 miles. I have yet to get the first oil change (the first one is free) so I do not know the cost, but I believe it is around $50. Does anyone here partake in a similar program? Is it worth it? I am apprehensive of further cost like balancing, valve stems, disposal fees, etc. I may be getting free tires but it will probably still cost me $. As we all know the dealership must be making their money back somehow to pay for the tires. I usually get all my services done at the dealership anyway, but I'd like to know what everyone here has experienced or recommends.
I would pass. You must get the car serviced there, you must follow schedule to a "T". And, the old tires must be worn down to a certain measurement before you can replace them, usually almost bald. Another way for the dealer to hold you hostage and have you service your vehicle at their shop only.
Old 08-28-07, 07:14 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

That is an interesting deal. If oil changes at 5,000 miles are only $50 it might be good but if the dealer is actually saying you must do all the services there at a cost that could become $125-$150 or more per oil change which would include tire rotating and balancing etc. you might be better off buying your tires elsewhere like discount tire where the rotating etc. are free. You should also determine what tires they are going to be providing and what the other charges you mentioned will cost. I've found that most prepaid plans like this are just moneymakers for the dealers.

Dave Mac
Old 08-28-07, 07:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I strongly agree with MD and Dave. From your signature it looks like you live in NJ and probably have the all season tires which have a long tread life, and shouldn't need replacement for a long time - Unless there's an accident or pot hole damage.
Old 08-28-07, 07:57 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

definately skip it. they'll be making far more money on every 30,000 mile service they require you to go there to have preformed than the tires they put on there cost.
Old 08-28-07, 08:00 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Where does eveyone get their oil changed if not at the dealership? I take my wife's Cadillac to Grease Monkey and get the Mobil 1 Synthetic for $69.99. Her car's info computer shows oil life, not a preset interval like the ES350. I usually get it changed when it reaches 10-15% oil life which is usually every 7-8 months. Should I get the Mobil 1 for the ES there every 5,000 miles or should I just take it to the dealership (and utilize the Tire for Life Program as a bonus)?
Old 08-28-07, 08:01 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pheonix
definately skip it. they'll be making far more money on every 30,000 mile service they require you to go there to have preformed than the tires they put on there cost.
Again, it is oil changes only, not every recommended service. I just confirmed this on the contract.
Old 08-28-07, 08:55 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fogetaboutit!
Old 08-28-07, 11:39 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Again, it is oil changes only, not every recommended service. I just confirmed this on the contract.
They get you to show up for the oil change, then up sell you on other services. The oil change just gets you in the door. Remember, service advisors work on commission.

Dealerships make most of their profit on service, not on the sale of new cars. So, be very careful!!
Old 08-28-07, 05:54 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look, no dealer is a sucker that's going to give their customers free money because they "love" them. They're there to make money.

With that said, what is the real deal with the plan? Does it cover blow outs, nails, cuts, what? Also, if it's just damage and needs repair, what is the charge? Just free tires, but having to go back to dealer for oil change or any maintenance to tires... that would add up in no time. I'd say each tire would be $200, $800 you can blow in just three or four maintenance visits.

Lexus dealers are good, but I still wouldn't trust them further than I can throw them...
Old 08-28-07, 10:26 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I might go for it if I could choose the tire type,but I am sure they will give you second rate tires, nothing is free!
Old 08-29-07, 04:16 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

The program covers all tire issues- replacement when treads are low, blowouts, punctures, etc. They will replace with same tires that came with vehicle (in my case the all season tires).

After reading your replies I have another question. Other than warranty repairs, do you take your car to the dealership for any other service? It sounds like everyone here is anti-dealership and go elsewhere.
Old 08-29-07, 06:31 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The program covers all tire issues- replacement when treads are low, blowouts, punctures, etc. They will replace with same tires that came with vehicle (in my case the all season tires).

After reading your replies I have another question. Other than warranty repairs, do you take your car to the dealership for any other service? It sounds like everyone here is anti-dealership and go elsewhere.
I get my car repaired at the dealership, but I tell them what I want done. I don't let them tell me what they want to service on the car. As long as you are careful and compare prices, dealers service centers are usually good as long as you can say the word "NO"
Old 08-29-07, 07:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm not anti-dealership at all. One just has to keep in mind the difference between "recommended" and "required" services. Many places, especially Lexus shops, love to do the "recommended" things for obvious reasons, $$'s. It's not bad if it gives you peace of mind. It's up to the individual.
Old 08-29-07, 10:15 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I like to have the 15K, 30K etc done at the dealer, the short services go to my Toyota dealer for about $27, DO NOT LET GREASE MONKEY, OR THE LIKE USE A NON TOYOTA FILTER! Non Toyota filters do not have a check valve in the filter which prevents loss of prime in the filter when the engine is shut off. THIS IS CRITICAL TO REDUCE ENGINE WEAR!

Quick Reply: Tires for Life Program