ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES Name

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 03:22 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzaikun
Enigma got it right on the money, except for the IS. During my visit to Taste of Lexus, which was prior to opening to the public and given for Lexus employees, there was a facilitator who gave us a run down of the abbreviations while introducing us to the models; IS stands for Individual Sedan and GS stands for Grand Sedan. Which would make sense because there are no other segments for the IS to fit in.

For the SUV's, the X stands for Cross-terrain.

I was pretty intrigued after he told me all that because I never knew what most of the abbreviations stood for either.
If you go to the Lexus.com website it states verbally and in text that IS stands for Intelligent Sport...

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/
Old 12-19-07, 04:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by carma350
ES 350 - Extreme Slippage 350 (Days Per Year)
Excellent Sedan
Old 12-19-07, 06:11 PM
carma350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I'll take 15 days of normal driving!!
Good one. The ES had been my clear first choice for a new car. I've since concluded from the Lexus forums and the recent Consumer Reports that it's not worth the gamble on Lexus / Toyota and its potentially very dangerous transmission slip. Funny thing is if I hadn't seen these Lexus forums a few days ago, I likely would have bought an ES by today - that's how close I was to buying. Hearing about the Lexus / Toyota transmission slip was like having someone drop a big bucket of water on your birthday cake just as you're about to blow out the candles. Lexus / Toyota should have properly tested the ES powertrain before production.

Thanks to those Lexus ES owners on the forums who shared their bad experiences. It helped me avoid the potentially big mistake of buying a Lexus. And now that I'm more well-informed, I'll have a proper response to anyone who goes on about the Lexus / Toyota so-called "legendary quality reputation."

I plan to restart my car search from scratch. It's a credit to you that you're able to maintain a sense of humour about the transmission slip. Good luck with your ES, I hope they fix it.
Old 12-19-07, 06:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Good one. The ES had been my clear first choice for a new car. I've since concluded from the Lexus forums and the recent Consumer Reports that it's not worth the gamble on Lexus / Toyota and its potentially very dangerous transmission slip. Funny thing is if I hadn't seen these Lexus forums a few days ago, I likely would have bought an ES by today - that's how close I was to buying. Hearing about the Lexus / Toyota transmission slip was like having someone drop a big bucket of water on your birthday cake just as you're about to blow out the candles. Lexus / Toyota should have properly tested the ES powertrain before production.

Thanks to those Lexus ES owners on the forums who shared their bad experiences. It helped me avoid the potentially big mistake of buying a Lexus. And now that I'm more well-informed, I'll have a proper response to anyone who goes on about the Lexus / Toyota so-called "legendary quality reputation."

I plan to restart my car search from scratch. It's a credit to you that you're able to maintain a sense of humour about the transmission slip. Good luck with your ES, I hope they fix it.
Good luck with your search. Let us know what you decide on. There are some good options out there.
Old 12-20-07, 02:18 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finding something you really like is not easy so I hope you shop around and find something that pleases you. Club Lexus is is a better means of getting the straight scoop than even CR, notice how CR knows Camry and ES share same transmission, but don't even mention it.

You could be up to speed here on any Lexus vehicle long before the CR, J.D. Power get up to speed.

Good luck to you, and no matter what vehicle you focus on I hope other brand owner forums are just as informative and helpful to you in your decision as Club Lexus member contributions.
Old 12-22-07, 09:42 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. I do keep my sense of humor on this issue. It is just a car. There are more important things in life than a tranny flare. But it does make you mad when it happens to you after spending a lot of money on the car.

Good luck with your search. Take a peak at the Acura TL. It is a sportier car, but there some silly incentives on them since the new model comes out in 2009. I owned an 2000, 2003, and 2004 and loved them all.