ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 05:33 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rh26
So you know how the lights stay on for 30 seconds after you turn off the car...

Well, the other night I turned off the engine, got out, popped the trunk, grabbed some stuff for my daughter, carried it in, got into a conversation, and came back out about 3-4 minutes later. All the lights were still on! I closed the trunk and they turned off 30 seconds later.

Obviously, the downside of this is I could run down the battery but I like the behavior. In this case, the car was parked along the curb in a parking lot and cars were passing by (very dark and no street lights) so if the lights had gone out it would have made my car harder to see...
Yep, same as if you left 1 or more of the 4 doors open. The timer starts once all doors and truck are closed to give the passengers their 30 seconds of light so they can get in the house.
Old 09-21-07, 09:48 AM
nyardich
Driver

Red face Auto Air

Originally Posted by kewl
Did you know that if you press and hold the 'AUTO' button, the right one in the pictures, for several seconds (5 or so as I recall) it will bring up the screen for pollution sensitivity?

Like so many changeable setting you can't be moving when you do this.

More sensitive means that it will switch to internal air circulation sooner. I have played with several setting and it does switch faster, but I can't say how practical any setting might really be.
My understanding is to enable pollution control you must engage AUTO button on the right side of controls.
Auto button on left side only controls normal A/C, temp, etc.
Old 09-21-07, 10:29 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you know that if your car is left unattended for about 2 weeks the electrical system goes into a sleep mode to save your battery from discharging completely? I realized this when I didn't use my car for awhile, and when I approached it, the puddle lamps did not go on, and grabbing the door handle(s) did not unlock the door. To wake it up, press the unlock button on your keyfob.
Old 09-21-07, 05:43 PM
love_lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Did you know that if your car is left unattended for about 2 weeks the electrical system goes into a sleep mode to save your battery from discharging completely? I realized this when I didn't use my car for awhile, and when I approached it, the puddle lamps did not go on, and grabbing the door handle(s) did not unlock the door. To wake it up, press the unlock button on your keyfob.
This is really cool.
Old 09-21-07, 05:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Good information. Thanks.

When your car woke up, was it cranky or in a good mood??
Old 09-21-07, 11:14 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good information. Thanks.

When your car woke up, was it cranky or in a good mood??
The car was very happy to see me.

In fact, it started up so quickly, it was as if I just ran the car a minute ago....with NO unusual engine noises that you would expect from an engine that was sitting for over two weeks.
Old 09-29-07, 07:24 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Did you know that you do not have to press and hold the push button start while the car is cranking. Once the light is green, just push it and let go. The car does the rest.
Old 10-01-07, 07:07 PM
kewl
Rookie

Did you know you can raise the wiper blades far enough to have them clear the hood? In the owners manual it talks about doing this on page 150. You can move them about 4 inches.

It isn't as easy to do as it sounds however. It take a bit more pressure then I would have thought, so much so that I had the dealer's service dept show me that it would in fact work without breaking the wiper arm.

I took a picture to show you where I grab the wiper arm...on the passenger's side. They don't slide up into position, they snap into position so don't be surprised.
Attached Thumbnails Did you know?-wiper.jpg  
Old 10-01-07, 07:24 PM
kewl
Rookie

Did you know that the headlights will turn off 30 seconds after you turn off the ignition and close all the doors? That's with the headlight switch in the ON or the AUTO position.

Did you know that you can have the delay changed from immediately to 30, 60 or 90 seconds? 30 being the default.
Old 10-01-07, 10:19 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Did you know you can raise the wiper blades far enough to have them clear the hood? In the owners manual it talks about doing this on page 150. You can move them about 4 inches.

It isn't as easy to do as it sounds however. It take a bit more pressure then I would have thought, so much so that I had the dealer's service dept show me that it would in fact work without breaking the wiper arm.

I took a picture to show you where I grab the wiper arm...on the passenger's side. They don't slide up into position, they snap into position so don't be surprised.
That is called the 'winter' mode -
Old 10-01-07, 10:20 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Did you know that the headlights will turn off 30 seconds after you turn off the ignition and close all the doors? That's with the headlight switch in the ON or the AUTO position.

Did you know that you can have the delay changed from immediately to 30, 60 or 90 seconds? 30 being the default.
Anyone who reads the quick guide should know this stuff, I think this thread is for more esoteric knowledge
Old 10-02-07, 07:02 PM
kewl
Rookie

350Dave, in general I agree with you, but I am amazed at the number of people who never read (or only scan) either the quick guide or the owners manual. So, I guess it is all a matter of perspective on what is esoteric and what isn't.

Having said I will try, in the future, to focus only on things not easily found in the manual or written in such a way as to be easily missed.
Old 10-03-07, 12:43 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Anyone who reads the quick guide should know this stuff, I think this thread is for more esoteric knowledge
I was gonna say the same thing; heck, I could have said something facetious like, "Did you know that you could find out about a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread by RTFM?"
Old 11-05-07, 05:35 PM
kewl
Rookie

Did you know, for those with the Nav screen, that with the transmission in reverse gear, you get some additional display selections when you press the nav screen 'DISP' button?

Not sure how useful they are, but it is still nice to know they are there.

Last edited by kewl; 11-06-07 at 05:36 PM. Reason: To correctly ID the button to push
Old 11-05-07, 10:16 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

What are the additional display selections? I don't recall ever seeing any of them.

When I put my car in reverse the rear camera image is displayed on the screen.

Last edited by amf1932; 11-05-07 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Did you know?