ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 05:35 PM
kewl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know?

For my other vehicle's forums we had a topic called, "Did you know?" where we documented little tips and bits of information (facts) about the car. Some of these might be how to access a feature of the car - be them in the manual but not readily apparent or some undocumented features or capabilities one finds by accident or from some inside sources.

I think we can all agree that there are lots of little tricks, features and hints on how to make best use of the vehicle that might not be obvious to everyone. So, if you have some little tidbit of information or trick you have learned about the 350 post it here.

Did you know...you can turn off the 'please say a command' query from the voice recognition system?

Press the navigation 'menu' button and then on the screen press 'setup' go to the second page of options and select 'no' for the 'voice recognition guidance' and then press OK.

This will turn off all (most) questions from the voice recognition sub-system.

Last edited by kewl; 09-17-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-16-07, 07:04 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear KEWL,

Thanks very much for this. Since I did (well someone else did it for me) Sonartechs deluxe mod for the nav system I rarely need the VR system anymore. For those of you with a Nav or UL I highly recommend Sonartech's mod - it totally rocks. You know I am going to do this adjustment.

Also lately I have gotten bored by the map, especially because I look at the same thing every day. I turned off the automatic switch back to the Nav screen and would set it to the audio system most of the time. With Sonartech's mod I can use the VaisTech screens for the iPod while driving. But, lately I have been turning the screen off. Lots less distractions and I can always activate it when and if I need to.
Old 09-17-07, 01:05 PM
kewl
Rookie

Did you know that from outside the car you can press and hold the black door handle button - on any door - and it will lock the doors and roll up all the windows to include the moonroof? Be sure to keep pressing the button until all the windows are completely rolled up. This will not work using the electronic key to lock the doors. Seems like it would be better for it to work that way then the way it does...

psp - tell us how you disabled the automatic switch back for the Nav screen.

Last edited by kewl; 09-17-07 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 10:13 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kewl
Did you know that from outside the car you can press and hold the black door handle button - on any door - and it will lock the doors and roll up all the windows to include the moonroof? Be sure to keep pressing the button until all the windows are completely rolled up. This will not work using the electronic key to lock the doors. Seems like it would be better for it to work that way then the way it does...

psp - tell us how you disabled the automatic switch back for the Nav screen.
I wonder if this works with the panorama roof, since it closes in 2 phases. I will try to remember and report back.
Old 09-17-07, 10:32 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
I wonder if this works with the panorama roof, since it closes in 2 phases. I will try to remember and report back.
It does NOT work with the panorama roof.
Old 09-18-07, 03:20 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kewl
For my other vehicle's forums we had a topic called, "Did you know?" where we documented little tips and bits of information (facts) about the car. Some of these might be how to access a feature of the car - be them in the manual but not readily apparent or some undocumented features or capabilities one finds by accident or from some inside sources.
There's an older thread here (Little-known behaviors) which addresses the same topic.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262969
Old 09-18-07, 09:56 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
It does NOT work with the panorama roof.
I verified what I already suspected today, nix on the panoramic roof, but still feel good knowing about the window lift feature, also found out today that with the fob in my pocket, the soft button near the license plate will open the trunk. Cool!
Old 09-19-07, 12:47 AM
unknown2
Driver

If you press (and keep pressing) the "HOLD" button in your steering wheel, it will turn on/off your radio...

If you press (and keep pressing) the "UP/Down" button in your steering wheel, it will change to the next/previos CD in your CD changer..
Old 09-19-07, 09:45 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

My ES has no hold button on the steering wheel, does yours?
Old 09-19-07, 10:31 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
My ES has no hold button on the steering wheel, does yours?
Its the "MODE" button that you "hold" down to turn the audio off.
Old 09-20-07, 12:51 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Its the "MODE" button that you "hold" down to turn the audio off.

Actually it's not quite that way, at least for me.
I use it to turn my radio on sometimes.
But if I press it again, it won't turn my radio off.
Old 09-20-07, 05:33 PM
kewl
Rookie

Did you know that if you press and hold the 'AUTO' button, the right one in the pictures, for several seconds (5 or so as I recall) it will bring up the screen for pollution sensitivity?

Like so many changeable setting you can't be moving when you do this.

More sensitive means that it will switch to internal air circulation sooner. I have played with several setting and it does switch faster, but I can't say how practical any setting might really be.
Attached Thumbnails Did you know?-auto1.jpg  
Old 09-20-07, 06:38 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Actually it's not quite that way, at least for me.
I use it to turn my radio on sometimes.
But if I press it again, it won't turn my radio off.
When your audio is on, each time you press the "mode" button, it will switch to another "mode" (i.e. AM, FM1, FM2, DVD, etc). But if you press and hold the button down, then it will turn off your audio system.

You may also press the talk button and say "audio on" or "audio off" and acomplish the same effects.
Old 09-20-07, 07:27 PM
rh26
Driver School Candidate

Default Lights Stay on When Trunk Open

So you know how the lights stay on for 30 seconds after you turn off the car...

Well, the other night I turned off the engine, got out, popped the trunk, grabbed some stuff for my daughter, carried it in, got into a conversation, and came back out about 3-4 minutes later. All the lights were still on! I closed the trunk and they turned off 30 seconds later.

Obviously, the downside of this is I could run down the battery but I like the behavior. In this case, the car was parked along the curb in a parking lot and cars were passing by (very dark and no street lights) so if the lights had gone out it would have made my car harder to see...
Old 09-20-07, 09:23 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rh26
So you know how the lights stay on for 30 seconds after you turn off the car...

Well, the other night I turned off the engine, got out, popped the trunk, grabbed some stuff for my daughter, carried it in, got into a conversation, and came back out about 3-4 minutes later. All the lights were still on! I closed the trunk and they turned off 30 seconds later.

Obviously, the downside of this is I could run down the battery but I like the behavior. In this case, the car was parked along the curb in a parking lot and cars were passing by (very dark and no street lights) so if the lights had gone out it would have made my car harder to see...
There's actually a "battery saver" feature in the car. If you had forgotten to turn off your lights, they will all go out in about 30 minutes. Its also a good way to remind you that one of your door (or trunk) is still openned.

Quick Reply: Did you know?