ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Resolution?: XM antenna on Panorama Glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 05:35 AM
WindSpeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolution?: XM antenna on Panorama Glass

Does anyone know if the mounting issue for the XM Radio antenna on the ES -- w/panorama glass roof -- has been resloved to any degree? I would think this would apply to Sirius radio antennas as well.

I've tried, to no avail, to find the thread started several months ago on this issue. A search on "XM Antenna" and "panorama glass roof" was to no avail.

In essence, folks were saying the current method of mounting the antenna, generally on the trunk top, created an "eye sore" of sorts, making the car look somewhat unrefined. While drilling and sealing a hole in glass is certainly doable (by someone with the right diamond drill bit, and the skill), it may be an undesireable or scary solution for some. Some antennas, like those used by cell phones, can make sufficient connection through glass. Perhaps this could be the case with an XM signal as well?

So, specific to the panorama glass roof, for those of you with "07's" with satellite radio, and those of you who are in negotiations for your "08's," and are considering satellite radio, has there been any discussions around this issue, productive or otherwise?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all responses.

Captain Tony
Old 09-19-07, 08:07 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WindSpeed
Does anyone know if the mounting issue for the XM Radio antenna on the ES -- w/panorama glass roof -- has been resloved to any degree? I would think this would apply to Sirius radio antennas as well.

I've tried, to no avail, to find the thread started several months ago on this issue. A search on "XM Antenna" and "panorama glass roof" was to no avail.

In essence, folks were saying the current method of mounting the antenna, generally on the trunk top, created an "eye sore" of sorts, making the car look somewhat unrefined. While drilling and sealing a hole in glass is certainly doable (by someone with the right diamond drill bit, and the skill), it may be an undesireable or scary solution for some. Some antennas, like those used by cell phones, can make sufficient connection through glass. Perhaps this could be the case with an XM signal as well?

So, specific to the panorama glass roof, for those of you with "07's" with satellite radio, and those of you who are in negotiations for your "08's," and are considering satellite radio, has there been any discussions around this issue, productive or otherwise?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all responses.

Captain Tony

I have an 07 UL with XM. At the dealer, the option of putting the antenna on the glass was not even an option. Mine is on the truck, centered near the 3rd brake light. It is a slight eye sore, but I am used to it.

If there was some drilling of the glass roof, I would be concerned of water leakage.
Old 09-19-07, 08:28 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Depending on where you live and want XM reception you might try positioning the antenna inside the car on the dash or near the rear window. I have had mine inside for 2 years (after testing it out first) and the reception is always good. I am however always in the city. Probably wouldn't work this way everywhere. Looks nice and holds up well.

Dave Mac
Old 09-19-07, 10:21 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, try throwing the antenna on the rear shelf next to the break light. Make sure its not all the way in the corner being blocked from either side/angle. I had mine outside on the trunk, wired into sharkfin on the roof, and also on the rear shelf under the rear window, and found the reception to be the same. For Sirius, that is. I'm far away from a city and can not take advantage of antenna repeaters they have in big cities since tall buildings block clear sight. So, I'm relying completely on the direct satellite connection.

The factory option Lexus offers right now for either XM/Sirius is an antenna mounted to the inside of the front windshield next to the rear view mirror. Don't know if thats any better.
Old 09-19-07, 05:33 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen on other cars the satellite radio antenna painted to match the body color of the car.
Old 09-19-07, 09:43 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I have my Sirius antenna stuck to my trunk lid with double sided tape, the newest antenna is so small i don't even notice it any more. I was concerned with reception issues over putting it inside the car.
Old 09-20-07, 12:09 AM
unknown2
Driver

My freind has an 06 IS350 with no factory shark fin.. The instructions that came with the antenna said that the antenna has to be placed on the trunk lid.. I didn't like that... So, i put the XM antenna under the 3rd brak light.. For the IS350, just pull the 3rd break light and it will pop out.. There is a peice of metal under the light and the XM comes with magnet.. It was an easy job... The antenna has been there for almost a year now and no problems so far

Just couple notes, when you run the wire, make sure it's not touching any sharp edge.. Also, make sure the trunk mechanism (when you open and close the trunk lid, is it far enough from the XM cable??)

Good luck
Old 09-20-07, 09:26 AM
WindSpeed
Driver School Candidate

Great, thanks all. So, it appears it's up to our own volition to decide how and where we place the antenna for the ES with Panorama Roof glass. Too bad Lexus hasn't taken this as an issue and come up with a better way than trunk mounting that antenna. Such is life, I suppose.
Old 09-21-07, 04:13 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

It's too bad Lexus did not intergrate a satellite radio system ans standard equipment too.
Old 09-21-07, 05:34 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
It's too bad Lexus did not intergrate a satellite radio system ans standard equipment too.
I agree. My Acura had XM intergrated. But, I guess Lexus gives the owner a choice as to what system they want. But, it could be "satellite ready".
Old 09-21-07, 06:51 PM
gnm313
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
I agree. My Acura had XM intergrated. But, I guess Lexus gives the owner a choice as to what system they want. But, it could be "satellite ready".
It is satellite ready. All the connection harnesses are in the trunk. You just need one of the modules and some time to install. Or perhaps you mean installed, but not turned on.
Old 09-22-07, 11:26 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

In our Jeep and Impala SS, satellite system was ready to play, n/c for three months on the Impala SS and one year on the Jeep.
Old 09-27-07, 01:46 PM
dpl350
Driver School Candidate

Have you guys seen the capacitive type antenna mount where one section mounts inside the glass with adhesive and the other section (with the antenna) mounts outside and it uses the glass as part of the transmission medium. No holes drilled thru the glass. That may work for sat frequency.

Dave L.