Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 09:42 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Quick fixes...

Hi Folks,

Two quick questions.
Recently my driver side back door isn't opening when I pull the handle to open the door, as it used to. What should I do to get it to work again?

A buddy with a new hybrid Camry showed me his car lights up on the floor AND at the top middle (roof) of the car at night as you open the door.

My ES is only lighting up on the floor. Should an overhead light turn on and if so how do you activate it?

TIA
Old 09-19-07, 10:29 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The overhead light for the rear should also turn on when any of the doors are opened. You can enable this by pressing the "Door" button on your overhead console. The "door" button is on the left side of that black plastic cover with the two square LEDs shining down (oposite of the ON/OFF button).

I hope that helps

BTW - as for the door issue... can it still be opened at all? Even from the inside? If its not possible to even open the door, you may have some problems that should be looked at by the dealer.
Old 09-20-07, 08:27 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the door only opens from the outside and not the inside, check to see if the child lock is on.
Old 09-20-07, 12:41 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
... You can enable this by pressing the "Door" button on your overhead console. The "door" button is on the left side of that black plastic cover with the two square LEDs shining down (oposite of the ON/OFF button).
Thanks I'll give that a shot. I must have messed around with those buttons by accident.

BTW - as for the door issue... can it still be opened at all? Even from the inside? If its not possible to even open the door, you may have some problems that should be looked at by the dealer.
Yes I can still open the door. What I've been doing is going to the driver door, opening that, and then opening the back door.
I haven't tried it from the inside yet.
Old 09-20-07, 12:43 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MD350
If the door only opens from the outside and not the inside, check to see if the child lock is on.
OK I'll do that. But if that can only be changed manually, I haven't touched it since I bought my car, and is unlikely to be the cause.
Old 09-20-07, 03:24 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
OK I'll do that. But if that can only be changed manually, I haven't touched it since I bought my car, and is unlikely to be the cause.
If 3 doors open from the outside except this one, it could be a malfunction where this door is not unlocking. The next time this happens:

1) Look in the window from the otherside and see if the door is unlocked. If not, that could be your issue.

2) If it only opens from the outside, it could be the child lock as I said earlier

Good luck and let us know your findings
Old 09-24-07, 07:31 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

The overhead light for the rear should also turn on when any of the doors are opened. You can enable this by pressing the "Door" button on your overhead console. The "door" button is on the left side of that black plastic cover with the two square LEDs shining down (oposite of the ON/OFF button).

An update on the overhead light issue.
I am thrilled now to have my overhead lights working for the first time since I bought my car back in Feb. 2007!

A salesman messed with all the controls while we were going for a final test drive and he must have turned off the lights while demonstrating everything.

Those lights are pretty cool!
Old 09-24-07, 07:34 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MD350
If 3 doors open from the outside except this one, it could be a malfunction where this door is not unlocking. The next time this happens:

1) Look in the window from the otherside and see if the door is unlocked. If not, that could be your issue.

2) If it only opens from the outside, it could be the child lock as I said earlier

Good luck and let us know your findings

Well I'm starting to have success again with the door, but I haven't really changed anything.

I've noticed that with the back door on the driver's side, I need to stand at the door holding the handle a little bit longer than with the front door before it decides to open for me. Not sure what's going on.
Old 09-25-07, 06:42 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Well I'm starting to have success again with the door, but I haven't really changed anything.

I've noticed that with the back door on the driver's side, I need to stand at the door holding the handle a little bit longer than with the front door before it decides to open for me. Not sure what's going on.
Sounds like a possible sensor issue. Because, if the car cannot read your key fob, it will not send a signal to unlock the door once the handle is touched.