ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

K&N Air Filter on ES350? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 02:44 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter on ES350? anyone?

I had just picked up a K&N air filter from local auto shop. I am just wondering has anyone tried this on ES350 already?
( I haven't install it yet. Don't have time until Sunday afternoon@@)
Old 09-21-07, 05:43 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GUJIGUJI
I had just picked up a K&N air filter from local auto shop. I am just wondering has anyone tried this on ES350 already?
( I haven't install it yet. Don't have time until Sunday afternoon@@)
A BIG waste of time!! What's the reason....to save money on filter replacements....or to screw up an otherwise good system that was designed to work well, and efficiently? The only difference in performance will be in your head. My suggestion......forget it!
Old 09-21-07, 09:28 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 09-21-07, 09:53 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this filter supposed to accomplish?
Old 09-25-07, 01:25 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
A BIG waste of time!! What's the reason....to save money on filter replacements....or to screw up an otherwise good system that was designed to work well, and efficiently? The only difference in performance will be in your head. My suggestion......forget it!
Please explain how such a filter would screw things up...if installed/used correctly? Yes, I know that aftermarket oiled air filter elements such as those offered by K&N can wreck havoc on a vehicle's intake system if not oiled properly...but please don't offer a generalization by insinuating that the use of aftermarket air filters will wind up ruining the intake system. Unlike some aftermarket automotive companies, K&N isn't some fly-by-night operation that offers "snake-oil" stuff--they've been around for quite some time, so they pretty much know what they're doing most of the time, and stand behind their products.

Do you have any actual proof that a correctly-installed and properly-maintained K&N air filter was responsible for ruining the intake system of a Lexus ES 350 (I'm assuming that such a filter exists for it)?

Now, I'm not saying that the K&N filter is necessarily superior to the OEM in all aspects...but please don't go around insinuating to others that products such as the K&N air filter are completely bunk; after all, it's not as if it's one of them Tornado fuel saver products...
Old 09-25-07, 02:16 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
Yes, I know that aftermarket oiled air filter elements such as those offered by K&N can wreck havoc on a vehicle's intake system if not oiled properly
It looks like you're trying to start a war....but it says it all here in your above quote.
I've used K&N air filters in the past and found absolutely NO increases in efficiency, either in better gas mileage or acceleration! All I found was it turned out to be more of a PITA than it was worth.
BTW: I'm not insinuating.....I'm just stating a fact as I have found it!!
Old 09-28-07, 12:40 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
It looks like you're trying to start a war....but it says it all here in your above quote.
I've used K&N air filters in the past and found absolutely NO increases in efficiency, either in better gas mileage or acceleration! All I found was it turned out to be more of a PITA than it was worth.
BTW: I'm not insinuating.....I'm just stating a fact as I have found it!!
FWIW--you failed to mention one of the main selling points--if not THE main selling point--of the K&N air filter...namely, that it is reusable. The OP didn't exactly state as to the reason(s) he was considering using the K&N air filter on his ES; so who's to say he didn't buy one so that he can save on air filter replacement costs (I'm not saying that he didn't buy it for the fuel economy and/or performance aspects as well)? If you chose not to continue using such a product because it didn't give you the improvements in efficiency that you were expecting--I have no problem with that...but just because you found that the K&N air filter did nothing for you doesn't mean that using it is an absolute waste of time and/or money for everybody else.

The way you criticize the K&N air filter product, I'd almost assume you think it no better than snake-oil products such as the Tornado...

Last edited by toneman; 09-28-07 at 03:00 PM.