ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Brake pedal is stiff

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 04:57 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unknown2
Without touching the brake at all, press the Start/Stop button for one time to get the ACC mode (radio on, engine and dash are still off)... Then press and keep pressing the start/stop button for about 10~15 seconds and your engine will crank... No need to toch the brake at all
Very clever unknown, I'm sure not many were aware that was even possible.

A side note though is a cylinder losing vacuum/pressure is not something to delay in getting addressed, ASAP with that.
Old 02-20-08, 06:09 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, if you are having problems with a 'stiff' brake pedal, it needs to be taken to the dealer. There have been notes in this months Di-Tech notes of issues with this. Who knows whats coming on it, but right now it is a small known issue with the boosters, and potentially the master cylinder. I have not seen a vehicle with this issue, but it is noted.

My recommendation is that any time you have problems with the the power braking system, take it to the dealer. It is a safety concern that needs to be addressed immediately.

Glad to see they fixed it for you.
Old 02-20-08, 06:23 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Yes, if you are having problems with a 'stiff' brake pedal, it needs to be taken to the dealer. There have been notes in this months Di-Tech notes of issues with this. Who knows whats coming on it, but right now it is a small known issue with the boosters, and potentially the master cylinder. I have not seen a vehicle with this issue, but it is noted.

My recommendation is that any time you have problems with the the power braking system, take it to the dealer. It is a safety concern that needs to be addressed immediately.

one...,

the above is why you are a valuable contributor here.

I stopped at saying ASAP and was going to add wait till onepoint sees how casual folks are about this, he is going to have a fit and insist it be looked at right away....
Old 02-20-08, 06:46 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One, so even if the brakes are fine when the motor is on, I should still take it in? I get the stiff pedal when the motor is off and I am trying to start the car. Also, this only happens about 30% to 40% of the time.

If this is a sign of a more serious issue, I'll take it in.
Old 02-20-08, 06:52 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by unknown2
Without touching the brake at all, press the Start/Stop button for one time to get the ACC mode (radio on, engine and dash are still off)... Then press and keep pressing the start/stop button for about 10~15 seconds and your engine will crank... No need to toch the brake at all
Never knew that, thanks!
Old 02-20-08, 07:14 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
one...,

the above is why you are a valuable contributor here.

I stopped at saying ASAP and was going to add wait till onepoint sees how casual folks are about this, he is going to have a fit and insist it be looked at right away....
Hey man, its no problem at all. Just want to put some info out there, especially on safety concerns.

Originally Posted by MD350
One, so even if the brakes are fine when the motor is on, I should still take it in? I get the stiff pedal when the motor is off and I am trying to start the car. Also, this only happens about 30% to 40% of the time.

If this is a sign of a more serious issue, I'll take it in.

You know, its hard to say if its serious or not, but you know what they say, "better safe than sorry."

I would take it in and let them take a look at it. Im not saying this is the same concern as the RX330's because I simply do not know, but I do know we had some boosters fail out of no where. If you are having signs of problems, it really should be addressed. Just drop it off, grab a loaner, and let them poke around a little.

Its not like you are going to totally loose your brakes, but there are some specially situations when you really need the power assist.
Old 02-20-08, 09:50 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

You know, its hard to say if its serious or not, but you know what they say, "better safe than sorry."

I would take it in and let them take a look at it. Im not saying this is the same concern as the RX330's because I simply do not know, but I do know we had some boosters fail out of no where. If you are having signs of problems, it really should be addressed. Just drop it off, grab a loaner, and let them poke around a little.

Its not like you are going to totally loose your brakes, but there are some specially situations when you really need the power assist.
Point well taken. Thanks for your help!