ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 03:01 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amf1932
The big problem is this: A rotor, whether the car/brakes have 100 miles or 20,000 miles can warp if the rotor was extremely hot from heavy duty braking, and than cooled very rapidly......as when you go through a puddle, or a car wash.
It comes down to this: The dealer can be a good guy and turn or replace the rotor as a goodwill gesture, or he can stick to the warranty. It seems that lately they're the later.
Agreed, but there seems to be a pattern here. Don't you agree?

I haven't checked the TSIB thread lately. Is this included? Should this really be an issue at 15K miles??
Old 12-22-07, 03:30 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Agreed, but there seems to be a pattern here. Don't you agree?

I haven't checked the TSIB thread lately. Is this included? Should this really be an issue at 15K miles??
Mack--MD,

i think Mack is onto something wondering about a pattern.

Do a search keying in Toyota brake problems, Toyota rotor problems. My neighbor mentioned this in connection with his Tundra, warped rotors low miles but I don't remember how many miles he said, and had looked into it and stated it was happening a lot from what he could tell from searching, those are two searches he did. He was not pleased to discover that Toyota and dealers were well aware of it after the hoops he went through blaming his driving habits. Needless to say, he got it addressed eventually at no charge but a fight first.
Old 12-23-07, 03:52 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll bet they would do it n/c without an arguement if you had a LS460 or LS600.
Old 12-23-07, 05:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
I'll bet they would do it n/c without an arguement if you had a LS460 or LS600.
With a pickup truck as my neighbor, I could understand some back and forth, but I would hope with a sedan early warping would not cause the same service back and forth to get it addressed.

In spite of my experiences with other issues of the ES I am going to guess that since Toyota is aware of it, ES owners will not have an argument or not much of one anyway because it would be difficult to attempt to bamboozle someone on a brake issue........brakes don't need to learn...
Old 12-23-07, 07:47 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I do wash my car regularly. That could have something to do with it, as Alan mentioned.
Old 12-23-07, 08:56 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
I do wash my car regularly. That could have something to do with it, as Alan mentioned.
That's total BS!!!! I have always washed my cars on a regular basis. Try to do it every week. Living at the oceanfront demands it! Never had an issue with rotors this soon. My previous ES went for something like 60K before having to do anything with brakes or rotors.
Old 12-23-07, 08:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

That's total BS!!!! I have always washed my cars on a regular basis. Try to do it every week. Living at the oceanfront demands it! Never had an issue with rotors this soon. My previous ES went for something like 60K before having to do anything with brakes or rotors.
Oh, I agree. The rotor should be able to withstand the temperature change a lot longer than 1 year or 20K miles. But, I run mine through a full service wash, and they spray the wheels and I see the steam come up from the wheels.
Old 12-23-07, 09:04 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't have a real clue of how long they are supposed to last before you could be in the right about complaining, but I don't recall ever needing that service in any new car I have owned. Pads getting near to worn down, not quite needing changing yes, but rotors no clue what is reasonable.

I just figure my neighbor, friend Steve, knows what he is talking about as did the 2nd opinion guy on my first ES350.

My sense tells me that going from hot from braking or during then to cooler or wet happens all the time in a rain storm so it seems it should not damage a rotor.

Otherwise they need to start making them out the cookware pots and pans alloys/material you see advertised all the time that go through those extremes all the time and don't warp.
Old 12-23-07, 09:07 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
Oh, I agree. The rotor should be able to withstand the temperature change a lot longer than 1 year or 20K miles. But, I run mine through a full service wash, and they spray the wheels and I see the steam come up from the wheels.
No different than having to drive through a puddle during a thunderstorm. Still saying BS!
Old 12-23-07, 09:08 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

No different than having to drive through a puddle during a thunderstorm. Still saying BS!
I agree, I am still going to fight it.
Old 12-23-07, 09:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
My sense tells me that going from hot from braking or during then to cooler or wet happens all the time in a rain storm so it seems it should not damage a rotor.
Damn, we're on the same page. That's truely scary!
Old 12-23-07, 09:20 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Damn, we're on the same page. That's truely scary!
Well, remember I said I had no clue on rotors so don't yet get too scared.

I will say this, if, and i hope not, but if your dash lights up like a christmas tree and your tranny strands you...you'll be saying there is reason to raise ruckus, that Bob is brilliant

Or, if when you go in for rotors, they tell you it's normal for them to be in that shape, now fork over 500 bucks...LOL
Old 12-23-07, 09:34 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Well, remember I said I had no clue on rotors so don't yet get too scared.

I will say this, if, and i hope not, but if your dash lights up like a christmas tree and your tranny strands you...you'll be saying there is reason to raise ruckus, that Bob is brilliant

Or, if when you go in for rotors, they tell you it's normal for them to be in that shape, now fork over 500 bucks...LOL
Haha.... I can only hope you are not prophetic!

Hey, I ran into my buddy last night who bought my Accord. 210K miles and still running strong. Maybe I should have kept it...
Old 12-23-07, 11:52 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Haha.... I can only hope you are not prophetic!

Hey, I ran into my buddy last night who bought my Accord. 210K miles and still running strong. Maybe I should have kept it...
I am a true Honda fan. My wife's Pilot has not had 1 warranty claim with 12K miles. My fathers 05 Accord, only oil changes and tire rotations. My Mother as a 99 TL that has 65K miles and still running strong...original tranny!! Not to mention several other Honda and Acura products in my extended family and everyone loves them.
Old 12-23-07, 12:25 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you read some of the articles on these pages before you consider it, "total BS!!!!" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...d+brake+rotors

Quick Reply: Rotors