ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 01:13 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan, I agree with you. But, there are different quality of rotors that can be put on cars, so they can withstand the temperature change longer.

For example, when Chevy rolled out out the new Impala, they advertised that the rotors on this car are heavy duty, and similar to the ones used on police cars. GM has had a tough time with their rotors warping. So, Impala is a large car (front wheel drive too) and they upgraded the quality of the rotor to withstand the heat.

I would expect Lexus to use the same quality of rotor on their cars as the Impala, as it is a luxury line. If a few car washes a month is going to cause the rotors to warp in 15 months and 22K miles, then to charge me over $200 just to turn them (even more money for new ones), that is nuts!

This just brings my frustrations all together. I work in sales and do use my car on trips. I bought a Lexus so I would not have any issues, I expected the best of the best. That is why I paid a premium. But, low quality rotors, a transmission that slips, engine noise, and other minor issues. I am disappointed. I could have spent half the money and bought an Impala. I know Garsarno has one and he loves it!

Then to boot, the **** poor service at the dealership just puts icing on the cake.

Anyway, sorry to vent. I am glad your ES is trouble free.
Old 12-23-07, 01:50 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my SS Impala for sales trips. With XM radio, Onstar Driving Directions navigation, fold down back seat, 303hp V-8 power, Bose / six cd changer, in dash ipod hookup, it's the ideal salesman's car (so long as you get reimbursed for gas on your expense report). I have 25,000 miles on it since 1/07. But.... It died on me today at the local Exxon mini mart, which is next door to my selling Chevrolet dealer. It did start up and I left it there for tomorrow AM service. Drove the ES350 most of today, it is quiet & smooth and the ML audio system is superior.
Old 12-23-07, 04:56 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
I love my SS Impala for sales trips. With XM radio, Onstar Driving Directions navigation, fold down back seat, 303hp V-8 power, Bose / six cd changer, in dash ipod hookup, it's the ideal salesman's car (so long as you get reimbursed for gas on your expense report). I have 25,000 miles on it since 1/07. But.... It died on me today at the local Exxon mini mart, which is next door to my selling Chevrolet dealer. It did start up and I left it there for tomorrow AM service. Drove the ES350 most of today, it is quiet & smooth and the ML audio system is superior.
Was wondering if your rotors are warped?
Old 12-23-07, 05:22 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

At 25,000 miles, no warpage / plenty of brake pad left according to my last oil change / inspection this past Thursday. In the past, I would get rotors "turned" but the pulsation would come back fairly soon. On my past cars, I would buy the cheapest rotors every time I needed brake pads (always OEM) and use the cost of "turning" as a discount off the new rotor purchase. When you turn them, you sre removing metal which in turn thins the rotor out and it cannot absorb the heat as well when new so the warpage returns sooner than new ones.
Old 12-23-07, 05:37 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
At 25,000 miles, no warpage / plenty of brake pad left according to my last oil change / inspection this past Thursday. In the past, I would get rotors "turned" but the pulsation would come back fairly soon. On my past cars, I would buy the cheapest rotors every time I needed brake pads (always OEM) and use the cost of "turning" as a discount off the new rotor purchase. When you turn them, you sre removing metal which in turn thins the rotor out and it cannot absorb the heat as well when new so the warpage returns sooner than new ones.
Very good point. I, too, have a lot of pad left. If I don't do something, though, it will get worse. Yep, that Impala is a good car for heavy use. Just like the police cars. I have a buddy who has the new SS with the V8 also. I rode it in, nice car! Hope all works out tomorrow in the service department.
Old 12-24-07, 11:37 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

The SS is no Lexus but it sure has some nice features over the Lexus. It is what it is....
Old 01-17-08, 05:58 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus Redeemed themselves

After calling the 800 customer service, Lexus did honor the warranty claim and turned my rotors under warranty

The car is ready and I am picking it up today.

I did not have them do any TSIB on the tranny nor touch the engine for the knock. I am leaving well enough alone.

However, they did tear apart the dash again to fix a really bad rattle in the center of the dash near the vents. Hopefully, it is gone and I can try to start to enjoy this car.

By the way, did I mention how impressed I am with the RX loaner?
Old 01-17-08, 06:09 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Shoulda coulda woulda. Had one last year while the transmission was being reworked / replaced. Nice SUV.
Old 01-17-08, 11:51 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
By the way, did I mention how impressed I am with the RX loaner?
Hehe, we asked for an RX as a loaner too. Got a fully loaded one. Soooo nice. If it weren't for the fact that it's getting replaced shortly, we prolly would have gotten an RX instead.
Old 01-18-08, 05:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The ES and RX are definitely Lexus' bread and butter vehicles. Last year they sold 103K RX and 83K ES.