ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus dealership cannot put in HIDs??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 11:10 AM
coleco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus dealership cannot put in HIDs??

So I have batting around in my mind the last few days the idea of adding HID to my non HID 07 ES350. There have been a couple of replies from some very nice club members potentially steering me away from this plug and play concept - the idea is that the halogen projectors will not work very well, etc.

So I gave the Lexus dealership in Charlotte, NC a call and asked them to quote me a price for the HID install meaning more than just bulbs, wiring, etc. He said Lexus does not offer this kit, and if they were somehow able to do this for me (which they do not in the Charlotte dealership) it would be over $5000 dollars. He said anyone that has had this done at a Lexus place has paid for an aftermarket kit install and not as if the car came from manufacturing with it in it.

I have to assume that this is all correct; it does not sound like HID will be going into my car because I do not want to blind other drivers with a plug and play, etc. and I do not know any shops that have TSX projectors and could do an installation, etc.

Can anyone recommend a great halogen bulb upgrade including size that would work? I have been looking at the PIAA and Razzo websites but not sure what bulb to order. I am so dumb about these things that I assume there is one bulb in the lamp but apparently there is a separate high and low. I assume I would want to upgrade the low beam one? Is that H7 size?

Confused to say the least. I wish I could see like I was a kid again.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-19-07, 03:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

do plug and play but skip the cheap ebay stuff

hidplanet.com
hidplanet.com/forums

xenondepot.com
Old 11-19-07, 09:58 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PIAA makes a nice product, but my experience has been the Super White bulbs only last 6 months or so...
Old 11-20-07, 06:40 AM
coleco
Rookie

ah great... seems like all avenues I go down lead me to the same conclusion, I am not going to be able to change a thing.

I may try the non cheap ebay stuff, I just dont want to affect other drivers, that's my main issue. I am not concerned if the HID kit only improves the night distance 50% (for example) vs a regular HID vehicle. I just dont want to be flashed or pulled over or whatever.

anyone know of a great halogen upgrade that will last a long time? I can't say I have had to change a headlight bulb on a new car in a long long time. (yes on my sister's 1997 jeep, but thats a different issue) I just could not imagine having to put a new $50 (for example, I dont know how much they cost) new halogen bulb in the car once a year or more. Thanks all.
Old 11-20-07, 07:10 AM
sanf
Rookie

-buy a hid kit from wherever (6k or lower temp)
-install
-adjust your headlight aims
-no one will high beam you or pull you over.
Old 11-20-07, 07:14 AM
coleco
Rookie

I think I am gonna do it. Thanks for the encouragement. I will try one of the 4300K kits. I see a whole bunch between $200 - $300. thanks everyone.
Old 11-20-07, 03:54 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coleco
I think I am gonna do it. Thanks for the encouragement. I will try one of the 4300K kits. I see a whole bunch between $200 - $300. thanks everyone.
I hope you're not going to put an HID kit into a halogen housing "blindly."

It's not that simple.

Halogen bulbs are designed specifically to be used with halogen reflectors/housings... HID bulbs require the same, they are not interchangeable, no matter what claims you read on the internet.

"Turn down" your halogen housings with HID bulbs all you want, without modifying the inside of the projector (specifically the cut-off) you risk blinding other drivers... The halogen projectors are meant to "disperse" light to accommodate the inadequacy of the halogen bulb, this means a whole bunch of "halo" light when an HID bulb is installed... Hardly the intensified "bright light" it appears you're looking for.

The kits are for posers, a complete retrofit is your only option.
Old 11-20-07, 09:04 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onsknht
I hope you're not going to put an HID kit into a halogen housing "blindly."

It's not that simple.

Halogen bulbs are designed specifically to be used with halogen reflectors/housings... HID bulbs require the same, they are not interchangeable, no matter what claims you read on the internet.

"Turn down" your halogen housings with HID bulbs all you want, without modifying the inside of the projector (specifically the cut-off) you risk blinding other drivers... The halogen projectors are meant to "disperse" light to accommodate the inadequacy of the halogen bulb, this means a whole bunch of "halo" light when an HID bulb is installed... Hardly the intensified "bright light" it appears you're looking for.

The kits are for posers, a complete retrofit is your only option.
true halogen isnt made for HIDs but you do no need to completely retrofit the housing... plug and play is good enough thats what i did with my ES and it's compeltely fine.. its not too high and it even looks like and HID when shined up against a wall... meaning it has the straight line with the step in the middle... coleco do not get scared with that post... its using the stock housing is perfectly fine it'll save you $$ any way... and the risk of screwing up if you do retrofit it...
Old 11-21-07, 06:25 AM
coleco
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I stated on the other thread I feel the need to apologize. I started 2 threads which I should have not done as they have both boiled down to the same issues. Plug and play, glare to other drivers, retrofit, projectors, reflectors, TSX, .... etc. I think I have all the information I need to decide what to do, I just need to think about it. A few conclusions:

1. I will not pay the dealership $5K-6K for the job, that is insane. The parts guy stated Lexus does not make retrokit available so this job would be huge plus, they dont do it anyway there so scratch the dealership option.

2. I personally cannot retrofit anything so if no nearby shop that does this type of thing, scratch that option. Even if I purchased TSX reflectors or whatever housing/parts needed I would never be able to put it together and have it work. Thats just reality.

3. I may try a plug and play kit (plasma garage for example has one for the fairly common price of $250 but I assume there are many others with similar packages) I am really concerned it will be unsafe to other drivers or cause an accident, etc. however. Im not certain I want to part with $250 or so to find out.

4. I may just try a halogen upgrade such as Ostram Nightbreaker or Phillips X-treme and call it a day. It may even be a slight headlight adjustment (they are too low I think) may help as much as anything. Its just that I have had HIDs on a previous BMW and RX300 and miss em so much.

Thanks again all!
Old 11-21-07, 02:35 PM
larrynimmo
Driver School Candidate

like I mentioned to you, I spent 145 on ebay including freight and couldn't be happier and that was for a Toyota Avalon. It does slightly blind the head on drivers a little more than regular HID's in proper projectors, but...much to my suprise, not one person has flashed me. This has to have been the best mod i have ever made. I did have to fine tune the heights of the lights, but in the end was very happy with the abundance of light and knowing that I am not causing a serious head on blinding issue.
Old 02-18-10, 11:25 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

Originally Posted by ng123ray
true halogen isnt made for HIDs but you do no need to completely retrofit the housing... plug and play is good enough thats what i did with my ES and it's compeltely fine.. its not too high and it even looks like and HID when shined up against a wall... meaning it has the straight line with the step in the middle... coleco do not get scared with that post... its using the stock housing is perfectly fine it'll save you $$ any way... and the risk of screwing up if you do retrofit it...
Is your headlight aim too low after the HID installation? Mine is and I can't find a way to adjust it....The only instructions I could find are for factory HIDs..
Old 02-18-10, 11:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ you should still be able to adjust the height of the low beams regardless its HID or halogen. That's strange if it doesnt. My mazda had oem halogens upgraded to HIDs and found that it was adjustable
Old 02-18-10, 11:52 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Holy Crap....

IT'S A PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What more needs to be said? Weather it is Halogen or HID, it's still a projector with a cutoff. Yeah, it may not be AS good as the OEM HID headlights, but it;s will be good.

It will not blind other drivers! Again, it;s a Projector, with a cutoff.

I've had HID's in my 92-96 ES Halogen projectors for over a year I think now, and I have NEVER been hi beamed by other drivers. In fact, I have the headlights set to factory level (via the leveler on the headlight).

Now, if it was a NON projector headlight, that is a whole nother story.

Coleco, if by any chance your anywhere near Mt. Airy, I can likely have a friend show you how to install them if needed.
Old 02-19-10, 10:25 AM
caballero7
Rookie

Default Polarg Bulbs

I too wanted to change my bulbs to HID, but I ran into the same issues. I was worried about the plug and play HID systems, and worried this would void my warranty if anything was to happen electrically. So I purchase some Polarg Shining Wizard Bulbs 5000K, Luxury White. These bulbs have not let me down as of yet, Thank God, and they look really nice at night, the HID Look but not all the brightness and I still have the evenness of light, guess that sound right..LOL. They have been in my car for over a year now. Check them out if you still are trying to make up your mind.

Hope this helps?
Old 02-19-10, 10:37 AM
JC07ES350
Rookie

You can always use a plug and play hid on your non-hid projectors. (Just adjust the headlight lower)

You can have a friend drive in front of you to see if you are blinding them from behind.

If you have the extra funds, pick up a HID Es350 headlight (Ask a shop if they have experience install factory hid headlights and if there are any parts you should remember getting when purchasing your parts)

Or have your current set retrofitted to any projectors you like.

If I was in your situation, I would go for the plug and play first and have a friend drive in front of me to see if I am blinding them.
If I am, I can always purchase a different bulb and use the kit for my foglights.

Hope this helps and good luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealership cannot put in HIDs??