ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Navigation repair v5.1 to v7.1 story

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 08:48 AM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation repair v5.1 to v7.1 story

Those of you that have followed this forum since introduction of the ES350 are aware of the problems with the original v5.1 navigation software. The first problems were with no working voice commands for climate control. The second, and more serious problem, was when the navigation system got "lost."

I waited for the new v7.1 software in September to schedule repair of my system. The service manager at Lexus of Palm Beach told me they had to special order the new disk. Several weeks later it was installed and I noticed that the software version number was still 5.1 and I still had no voice commands for the climate control. I complained to the operations manager at Lexus of Palm Beach and Lexus Customer Satisfaction. They finally agreed to install the v7.1 software. However, the service invoice states "This mechanical repair is no longer covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Lexus of Palm Beach is assisting in the cost of this repair as a one-time, goodwill gesture." I intend to call the dealer and clarify the comment.

Apparently it is Lexus policy to not upgrade the defective software but provide a new v5.1 disk. However, the version they gave me was still defective. It is amazing that Lexus treats its customers in such a shabby manner. I would think they would provide the latest software just for the embarrassment of providing the customer a defective product.
Old 11-22-07, 03:14 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gappell
Those of you that have followed this forum since introduction of the ES350 are aware of the problems with the original v5.1 navigation software. The first problems were with no working voice commands for climate control. The second, and more serious problem, was when the navigation system got "lost."

I waited for the new v7.1 software in September to schedule repair of my system. The service manager at Lexus of Palm Beach told me they had to special order the new disk. Several weeks later it was installed and I noticed that the software version number was still 5.1 and I still had no voice commands for the climate control. I complained to the operations manager at Lexus of Palm Beach and Lexus Customer Satisfaction. They finally agreed to install the v7.1 software. However, the service invoice states "This mechanical repair is no longer covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Lexus of Palm Beach is assisting in the cost of this repair as a one-time, goodwill gesture." I intend to call the dealer and clarify the comment.

Apparently it is Lexus policy to not upgrade the defective software but provide a new v5.1 disk. However, the version they gave me was still defective. It is amazing that Lexus treats its customers in such a shabby manner. I would think they would provide the latest software just for the embarrassment of providing the customer a defective product.
This is one of many on my laundry list of reasons why this Lexus is my first and will be my last.
Old 11-22-07, 11:02 PM
unknown2
Driver

Try to tell them that.. You have a defective NAV unit.. Not a defective map Disc! In this case, they MUST replace your nav unit under the warranty since it's not working for the way it should!
Old 11-23-07, 06:30 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by unknown2
Try to tell them that.. You have a defective NAV unit.. Not a defective map Disc! In this case, they MUST replace your nav unit under the warranty since it's not working for the way it should!
Yes, that's right. I had the defective voice command for climate control problem and they did not replace my map disc, they replaced the display unit (not the NAV unit). The fix is hardware, not software.

Lexus is obligated by the warranty to repair this for free.
Old 11-24-07, 01:59 PM
gappell
Rookie

Dreyfus, you are correct. The dealer got back to me and said they had to investigate the problem. They said my ES350 was the 186th built and the first 22076 had the problem. They are ordering a new display unit on Monday.

The explanation on the warranty was that was the code they had to enter to give me the free v7.1 disk.
Old 11-24-07, 03:23 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I only had the updated or replacement Nav disk and all has been fine
Old 11-24-07, 09:06 PM
Vette2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gappell

I waited for the new v7.1 software in September to schedule repair of my system. The service manager at Lexus of Palm Beach told me they had to special order the new disk. Several weeks later it was installed and I noticed that the software version number was still 5.1 and I still had no voice commands for the climate control. I complained to the operations manager at Lexus of Palm Beach and Lexus Customer Satisfaction. They finally agreed to install the v7.1 software. However, the service invoice states "This mechanical repair is no longer covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Lexus of Palm Beach is assisting in the cost of this repair as a one-time, goodwill gesture." I intend to call the dealer and clarify the comment. ................
It seems obvious that the service department at your dealer either doesn't read the TSBs or doesn't understand them. As others have mentioned in this thread only one of the two problems you mentioned involve the Disk. TSB EL012-06 deals with the position error which is addressed by a newer version of the operating system on the disk. That revision, by the way, also deleted the overide feature which many of us had come to love! A special version of the 5.1 disk was issued to make this repair which contained the latest operating system fix but DID NOT update the map database since Lexus wants you to pay for map updates. 6.1 disks contain the new operating system as well as an updated map database. You lucked out when they gave you the newest 7.1 version disk which they really don't owe any of us.

The voice commands fix is detailed in TSB EL008-06 and, as has been said, requires the replacement of the Display Unit, a hardware change.
Old 11-25-07, 07:30 AM
gappell
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vette2
It seems obvious that the service department at your dealer either doesn't read the TSBs or doesn't understand them. As others have mentioned in this thread only one of the two problems you mentioned involve the Disk. TSB EL012-06 deals with the position error which is addressed by a newer version of the operating system on the disk. That revision, by the way, also deleted the override feature which many of us had come to love! A special version of the 5.1 disk was issued to make this repair which contained the latest operating system fix but DID NOT update the map database since Lexus wants you to pay for map updates. 6.1 disks contain the new operating system as well as an updated map database. You lucked out when they gave you the newest 7.1 version disk which they really don't owe any of us.

The voice commands fix is detailed in TSB EL008-06 and, as has been said, requires the replacement of the Display Unit, a hardware change.
Thanks for that information. That is the best description as to what is going on historically with the ES350 navigation system. I would guess that the TSB's are only consulted when all else fails. Seeing as this is our fourth Lexus I guess the dealer thought it was in his best interest to keep me happy.