ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2008 Es350 Suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 03:14 PM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Es350 Suspension ?

Hello everybody, this is my first post, so go easy on me hehe..

i just got an 08 pearl white es350, and i love it, but im curious about possible suspension applications.. This car sits very high, and i was curious if there was any suspension applications for it? i think 2 inches would be greattt. anybody have ANY insight? thanks so much!

Ron
Old 11-26-07, 03:56 PM
Druha
Pole Position

I've heard Tanabe has something that would work?

I'm going to wait after warranty is over to change the suspension. and let any aftermarket segment for our car to improve
Old 11-27-07, 03:33 PM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

thanks Druha. any info on the Tanabe setup?

Anything else fellahs? Pretty please?
Old 11-27-07, 07:54 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Honestly BigRonS, the aftermarket for our car isn't as big as i would like, but at the same time it gives it a kind of uniqueness I enjoy. Proven by my other thread about how there is no AutoArt scale model of our car available. I ran into similiar problems finding parts for my old 1989 Mercedes 190e (scale car available though lol) when i had it, kind of a challenge finding the info and knowing when u do it you'll be one of the few out there with it.

That being said, about the camry springs, I dont know if those or the TRD ones work? I guess we will have to wait for that guy who apparently did it returns, i pray the springs didn't give out on him when he was driving due to incompatability. And i have only "heard" ther are springs available for our car on the tanabe website:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/

I don't see us on the list, if anything, give them an email.
Honestly I am going to wait another 3 years after warranty, wait for my all season tires to bald, buy some 19" rims, use the OEM's as winter wheels, and hopefully by then there will be suspension kits, maybe coilovers for our car.
Old 11-28-07, 03:44 PM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

so i called Tanabe, and they basically laughed at me.. lol

it seems nobody in the world makes anything for this car.. i think thats rediculous..
Old 11-28-07, 06:49 PM
sanf
Rookie

they laughed at u? thats f'ed up. if you asked for a ford tempo... it makes a bit more sense.
Old 11-29-07, 12:36 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

No one makes anything sporty for this car b/c it would defeat the purpose of this car. If you wanted sporty, you would have gotten an IS.

I wish the ES were more fun to drive too. I'm looking at it as a replacement for my BMW. The IS is too small, which is the reason why I'm getting rid of the BMW (reluctantly). The size of the ES unfortunately makes it tough to be really sporty. So, I'm just sucking it up and enjoying how Lexus went all out and luxed the hell out of the car instead of making some half *** compromise like everyone else is trying to do (including BMW).

If you've modded, you know there are good parts and bad parts. Good execution and bad execution. Ebay crap and stuff from good aftermarket suppliers like Tanabe. Trying to make an ES sporty threatens to head down the half assed frankenstein creations you see all the time. I'm not trying to bash you. Just pointing out that Lexus recognized the problem of not being able to do both at the same time so they decided not to try and went created two separate cars to fit the two different purposes.

To be honest, the only car of this size I've ever seen be decently sporty is the BMW 5 series. My mom has an E320 Sport. It can take turns at impressively high speeds, but it does NOT feel sporty. The 5 series is NOT luxe tho so while BMW got an amazing blend of luxe and sportiness in the handling, the rest of the car is far from luxe IMO. The new CTS looks promising but I haven't tried it out. Anyways, I'm not a fan of the GS (not a bad car, just not a home run). I think Lexus recognized the GS wasn't a truly successful blend of luxury and sportiness as they would have liked so they didn't bother trying with a lower level car and instead made two: the ES/IS.

I can see wanting some sportiness as some is better than none. It's just that in this case, the luxe is done so well, I don't think you should mess with the car in that regards and just enjoy the luxury and willingly sacrifice any chance at sportiness. If you're just doing it for looks, then by all means, go ahead. It's your car and looks are totally subjective so do it if you like it. I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

Last edited by codex57; 11-29-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 01:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by codex57
No one makes anything sporty for this car b/c it would defeat the purpose of this car. If you wanted sporty, you would have gotten an IS.

I wish the ES were more fun to drive too. I'm looking at it as a replacement for my BMW. The IS is too small, which is the reason why I'm getting rid of the BMW (reluctantly). The size of the ES unfortunately makes it tough to be really sporty. So, I'm just sucking it up and enjoying how Lexus went all out and luxed the hell out of the car instead of making some half *** compromise like everyone else is trying to do (including BMW).

If you've modded, you know there are good parts and bad parts. Good execution and bad execution. Ebay crap and stuff from good aftermarket suppliers like Tanabe. Trying to make an ES sporty threatens to head down the half assed frankenstein creations you see all the time. I'm not trying to bash you. Just pointing out that Lexus recognized the problem of not being able to do both at the same time so they decided not to try and went created two separate cars to fit the two different purposes.

To be honest, the only car of this size I've ever seen be decently sporty is the BMW 5 series. My mom has an E320 Sport. It can take turns at impressively high speeds, but it does NOT feel sporty. The 5 series is NOT luxe tho so while BMW got an amazing blend of luxe and sportiness in the handling, the rest of the car is far from luxe IMO. The new CTS looks promising but I haven't tried it out. Anyways, I'm not a fan of the GS (not a bad car, just not a home run). I think Lexus recognized the GS wasn't a truly successful blend of luxury and sportiness as they would have liked so they didn't bother trying with a lower level car and instead made two: the ES/IS.

I can see wanting some sportiness as some is better than none. It's just that in this case, the luxe is done so well, I don't think you should mess with the car in that regards and just enjoy the luxury and willingly sacrifice any chance at sportiness. If you're just doing it for looks, then by all means, go ahead. It's your car and looks are totally subjective so do it if you like it. I'm just giving you my 2 cents.
Good points codeex. Keep in mind too, that a lot of ES are purchased by a conservative and older crowd, so the demand for aftermarket parts is going to be much less than with IS and GS.
Old 11-29-07, 03:04 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigRonS
so i called Tanabe, and they basically laughed at me.. lol

it seems nobody in the world makes anything for this car.. i think thats rediculous..
what did u ask them? if they made springs for the ES350?

how about if the camry springs will work for the ES?
I wouldn't be surprised if companies didn't market them as applicable for the ES, but have them out for the camry...from a marketing standpoint. The only person who has said that they wont work is bchi99, who based on my limited knowledge of him/her, i cannot give much credibility

and all the above reasons/statements by others in terms of product placement and etc. are totally true about the ES350, however, some people will always want to modify their cars, period. from making a non luxury car more luxurious, to a luxurious car more sporty. I'm not saying it always ends up clean and beautiful, but that's how people are.

for me i want to do: lip spoiler, tint, 19" rims, 1~2" drop springs/suspension.

Last edited by Druha; 11-29-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 03:15 PM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Druha
what did u ask them? if they made springs for the ES350?

how about if the camry springs will work for the ES?

for me i want to do: lip spoiler, tint, 19" rims, 1~2" drop springs/suspension.
I asked em if they made anything for the es350, i did NOT ask them about the camry springs, although maybe i should have, hehe...

all i want are 19's and a 2 inch drop as well,. this car is a bigfoot!

Oh and to CODEX
so i should have bought an IS huh? well im glad you know me and you know what kind of cars that i like.. im a VERY large guy, and didnt fit well in the Lexus IS, so that car was out of the question...
Old 11-29-07, 05:10 PM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

quick photoshop, lol

BTW, it was just a random picture, if it is anybodies, ill take it down
Old 11-29-07, 08:45 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Seize photoshopped a pic of my car..with the rims i'm thinking of getting for now. i think he also dropped it, emphasized by the pic i took from an elevation

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319574

BigRon, that car u photoshopped is slammed...that's >2" i think. lol
Old 11-30-07, 03:16 AM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

yeahhh probably.... i was just bored, lol
Old 11-30-07, 10:49 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by BigRonS
Oh and to CODEX
so i should have bought an IS huh? well im glad you know me and you know what kind of cars that i like.. im a VERY large guy, and didnt fit well in the Lexus IS, so that car was out of the question...
Thanks for reading the 1st two lines of my post. If you had kept going another line or so, you would have seen where I said the IS was too small. I'm looking for a bigger car too which is why I ruled out the IS. The point of my post was that Lexus recognized they couldn't please everyone by making a car both sporty and luxurious so they didn't try. Unfortunately, that means the ES is REALLY underwhelming for us sporty lovers while the IS just isn't practical enough for those who need a little more room or whatever. However, the aftermarket recognizes that the ES is going to appeal to a demographic that's not going to mod their cars much, especially to make it sportier so we're not gonna see much parts for the ES in the sport category. If you find some, great. Just don't expect all that much was my point. And I'm disappointed too, but have accepted that's the market reality and adjusted my viewpoint so that any mods I see for it as a great bonus (versus being sad about the lack of parts).
Old 11-30-07, 03:57 PM
BigRonS
Driver School Candidate

yeah it stinks, but what can we do? owells