ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

? on test driving new cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 06:24 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ? on test driving new cars

ok, i know when you go in to buy a new car, but currently researching and expoloring options, you never let them have your SSN. but dont you have to give them your Drivers license so that they know you can drive? and when you give them your drivers license, cant they check your credit? i will be doing research for my mother, and this will be my first time actually going out to deal with sales reps. i dont really consider myself a pushover, since ive usually done a good amount of research and know when and where to stop and say "bye bye". we probably wont even buy from dealerships, but would like to get a feel for the vehicles that we have in mind.
TIA
Charley
Old 12-04-07, 07:32 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

They really do need to have your SSN rather than just your licesne to check your credit and in most states I believe they have to have your written authorization to pull your credit report. I don't like giving them my drivers license which they immedately copy or scan but it's a reasonable request before letting you drive one their cars. I have on occasion requested that they not make or retain a copy of my license.

Dave Mac
Old 12-04-07, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'll ask for your credit if you ask for zero down and what you decide on your payment plan. Other than that the question won't come up.
Old 12-04-07, 09:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just push the ebrake in, smile at the sales guy and floor it, after you leave a 20 foot strip let the brake out
Old 12-05-07, 05:25 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley240
ok, i know when you go in to buy a new car, but currently researching and expoloring options, you never let them have your SSN. but dont you have to give them your Drivers license so that they know you can drive? and when you give them your drivers license, cant they check your credit? i will be doing research for my mother, and this will be my first time actually going out to deal with sales reps. i dont really consider myself a pushover, since ive usually done a good amount of research and know when and where to stop and say "bye bye". we probably wont even buy from dealerships, but would like to get a feel for the vehicles that we have in mind.
TIA
Charley
The dealer cannot pull your credit unless you fill out and sign a credit application. Also, dealers can take a credit application over the phone. So, if you do call first and the salesperson is asking you a bunch of information in regards to income, etc....beware that this is what they could be doing.

It would be illegal for a dealer to pull credit off a driver's lic, if you did not give permission to do so. The laws are pretty strict in this arena.
Old 12-05-07, 10:30 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, it may be illegal, but is everyone watching their credit reports? i know now a days a lot of them do, but at the same time, most dont. ie, i dont.
so, yeah, just tell them to not run a credit report and not make a copy of my license?
TIA
Charley
Old 12-06-07, 05:53 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

the license is just a blanket to the dealer that they know you can legally drive the car and that if you damage the car they have your info, when I worked in dealerships I saw several people total cars without even pulling out of the parking lot.

the only time I've heard of a credit check was with big luxury cars, S550 or a 750 just because they want serious people, the ES should be nothing special the Lexus dealers usually have 1 or 2 setup just for a test drive
Old 12-06-07, 06:20 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley240
yeah, it may be illegal, but is everyone watching their credit reports? i know now a days a lot of them do, but at the same time, most dont. ie, i dont.
so, yeah, just tell them to not run a credit report and not make a copy of my license?
TIA
Charley
Yes, you can do that. But, if they pull your credit without your permission, get yourself a good lawyer. You will be rich. The laws are in the consumer's favor in this area. I work in the banking industry and there are very strict laws out there to protect consumers.
Old 12-07-07, 06:53 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Hardly anyone checks their credit report afterwards tho. Plus, do they even need a credit app? I thought they could orally ask your permission. If so, that would lead to a big ol mess if it ever came to a lawsuit.

The simplest thing you can do is to just copy your DL and write "no credit checks" on it before handing it over to the dealer when they request your DL.
Old 12-09-07, 11:40 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

Originally Posted by MD350
if they pull your credit without your permission, get yourself a good lawyer. You will be rich. The laws are in the consumer's favor in this area. I work in the banking industry and there are very strict laws out there to protect consumers.
I went to Wells Fargo to inquire about opening a checking account. I asked them if they would run my credit report. They said no. I told them "are you absolutely sure because I don't want any recent inquiries showing up on my record." They said yes they are sure.

Two weeks later I check my credit report and found out Wells Fargo ran the credit report anyway without my permission. Lesson learned: banks can do what they want without the consumer's permission. Including lying.
Old 12-10-07, 05:42 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW07ES
I went to Wells Fargo to inquire about opening a checking account. I asked them if they would run my credit report. They said no. I told them "are you absolutely sure because I don't want any recent inquiries showing up on my record." They said yes they are sure.

Two weeks later I check my credit report and found out Wells Fargo ran the credit report anyway without my permission. Lesson learned: banks can do what they want without the consumer's permission. Including lying.
If you have the time and a good attorney, you may have a case.