ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Another Transmission goes to Heaven

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 08:49 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilowatt
typical flare issues, mostly on cold days. 2 TSB's. Trans actually failed one week after 2nd TSB. 17000 miles
Evidence that the TSIBs don't fix the problem, unless the damage was already done.

One question, did the car leave you on the side of the road, or were you able to limp it in to the dealer?
Old 12-23-07, 01:53 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread lisitng reminds of the song "You'll never get to heaven if you break my heart". LOL...
Old 12-23-07, 10:23 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I think you will be surprised that the new trans will work as a Lexus should, my 4/07 build has no issues.

The dealer sounds responsive.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-07, 04:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
I think you will be surprised that the new trans will work as a Lexus should, my 4/07 build has no issues.

The dealer sounds responsive.

Good luck!
We have seen 08 ES350 owners report as well as 04/07 build dates like your's with transmission problems, and over 90 percent getting 2nd transmissions reported those too slipped.

I hope he gets a buyback because being realistic, he has roughly a 1 in 10 chance his new transmission will hold up.

They all seem to work as one would expect a transmission to behave in the beginning and only once in a while do they demonstrate an issue on a test drive. They are clever , they wait till you own them usually.
Old 12-24-07, 11:17 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
We have seen 08 ES350 owners report as well as 04/07 build dates like your's with transmission problems, and over 90 percent getting 2nd transmissions reported those too slipped.

I hope he gets a buyback because being realistic, he has roughly a 1 in 10 chance his new transmission will hold up.

They all seem to work as one would expect a transmission to behave in the beginning and only once in a while do they demonstrate an issue on a test drive. They are clever , they wait till you own them usually.
I drove a 350 loaner with the flair issue, and my service advisor (who speaks to me candidly) said that he has seen no issues with the later build dates. I think your 1 in 10 odds are hogwash! That is the source of my reasoning. It seems like there are a small group of previous owners who linger here to serve up a lack of harmony. I say, get a life.
Old 12-25-07, 05:34 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I drove a 350 loaner with the flair issue, and my service advisor (who speaks to me candidly) said that he has seen no issues with the later build dates. I think your 1 in 10 odds are hogwash! That is the source of my reasoning. It seems like there are a small group of previous owners who linger here to serve up a lack of harmony. I say, get a life.
There have been several people indicating either a service or sales advisor(s) stated or implied earlier builds were the affected ones and they ended up on here sharing their transmission problems.

I may be off on my 1 in 10 chance but it is clearly not hogwash and my opinion is based on actual experiences shared here by many others not the claim of a service advisor.

1st below is more recent owners, including 08.

2nd below is rate of success putting in another transmission or in a few cases having a 3rd one put in and since the same transmission is being used in the 08, one can draw whatever conclusion one wants, nobody is required to share my perspective.

and 3rd below is running tally.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=324570

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nsmission+poll

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236162
Old 12-25-07, 09:08 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

On a contrary, YOU are in minority here. Most of us signed in to this forum back in April/May of 2006 and we have lived through flares and buybacks of our 2007 models. Maybe '08 are OK, but lots of people in this forum and in posts listed by ES350BOB are with '07 models that have problems and they are seeking help and guidance. Your "get a life" comment is ignorant and just too... If you are so happy with your car, why don't you get a life, enjoy your car, and don't bother with your useless replies about "my car is great"?
Old 12-25-07, 09:42 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
On a contrary, YOU are in minority here. Most of us signed in to this forum back in April/May of 2006 and we have lived through flares and buybacks of our 2007 models. Maybe '08 are OK, but lots of people in this forum and in posts listed by ES350BOB are with '07 models that have problems and they are seeking help and guidance. Your "get a life" comment is ignorant and just too... If you are so happy with your car, why don't you get a life, enjoy your car, and don't bother with your useless replies about "my car is great"?
The 08's are not OK. Codex test drove one two weeks ago and it flared. Codex is actually thankful to all of us here on the forum, because he was educated about his purchase.

There is no better place to get the truth than these forums...from the actual owners of the car. If I can help in anyway, I don't mind doing so.
Old 12-25-07, 10:32 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why but the stories about the ES350s tranny flare is really scaring me

I still can't believe Lexus didn't solve the problem for 2008....usually all bugs/problems are done by the 2nd year comes around.

You guys hang in their and keep us posted.
Old 12-26-07, 08:41 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Just an update...

Don't have the car back yet, but all the parts came in as planned.
Car should be ready today or tomorrow and is being worked on currently.

However, did have a chance to speak with the service writer I was dealing with about my car.
He said they had replaced only 1 other transmission in an ES350 and mentioned it was an "earlier build" also with around the same mileage.
He said that replacement did not have any problems once it was done.

I also asked him if he had opportunity to drive my car. He said he did not, but that 3 people other people in the service dept did. This makes me think they do not like to generally replace the transmissions unless absolutely necessary and only confirms again my tranny was toast.... tell me something I didn't already know !

I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 12-26-07, 08:43 AM
2 for 1

Just to add another data point to this discussion, I took my 01/07 build in for the 5K checkup in October. I had experienced a few of the 200 RPM 3-4 flares during the time we have been driving it. Again, only when cold in the morning. I told the dealer about it and they said they would "look at it". When I picked it up, they told me that they had flashed the transmission. The day after, I experienced the 3-4 flare. It happen only once. Since then it has completely went away. That was about 2 months ago. I keep an eye out, but it seems to be working OK now. BTW its cold here in NH, so I know the car is well cooled off in the morning. Perhaps I just got lucky.

I guess if this was easy to fix, they would have found the culprit by now. The complexity of these new electronic transmissions along with the ability of the car to learn individual driving patterns and first year teething problems, must be driving the folks at Toyota nuts. I know from personal experience that new product introductions are frought with tar pits. I also know that divulging information on the problem before you have a handle on the fix causes even more dashed expectations. Its just too bad its taking so long to work this one out.

My GS300 has "other" issues that were never fixed. Bad door hinges, transmission jerks when decelerating, frayed safety belts that had to be replaced among other issues. My 02 ACURA TL lost the transmission at 18K miles. A known problem. The sun shades fell into your face going around a corner. I once had an 86 Olds that the dash fell into the passenger compartment. Unfortunately there is no perfect car.

However, the ES350 is such a beautiful car I enjoy it even with its flaws.
Old 12-26-07, 09:18 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2 for 1
Just to add another data point to this discussion, I took my 01/07 build in for the 5K checkup in October. I had experienced a few of the 200 RPM 3-4 flares during the time we have been driving it. Again, only when cold in the morning. I told the dealer about it and they said they would "look at it". When I picked it up, they told me that they had flashed the transmission. The day after, I experienced the 3-4 flare. It happen only once. Since then it has completely went away. That was about 2 months ago. I keep an eye out, but it seems to be working OK now. BTW its cold here in NH, so I know the car is well cooled off in the morning. Perhaps I just got lucky.

I guess if this was easy to fix, they would have found the culprit by now. The complexity of these new electronic transmissions along with the ability of the car to learn individual driving patterns and first year teething problems, must be driving the folks at Toyota nuts. I know from personal experience that new product introductions are frought with tar pits. I also know that divulging information on the problem before you have a handle on the fix causes even more dashed expectations. Its just too bad its taking so long to work this one out.

My GS300 has "other" issues that were never fixed. Bad door hinges, transmission jerks when decelerating, frayed safety belts that had to be replaced among other issues. My 02 ACURA TL lost the transmission at 18K miles. A known problem. The sun shades fell into your face going around a corner. I once had an 86 Olds that the dash fell into the passenger compartment. Unfortunately there is no perfect car.

However, the ES350 is such a beautiful car I enjoy it even with its flaws.
Thanks for the update. That is uplifting to know that the TSIB worked for you.

I happened to call Lexus customer service this morning to discuss the rotors on my car. I also asked them about the tranny issue. It was good to know the response was, "we are very well aware of the transmission issue on the ES350".

As you said above, it must be driving them nuts. The gentlemen told me there is no recall at this time. To me, that sounds like there may be one once they have a fix to the problem. He also suggested I take my car in to service if it is flaring.

See, that is all I wanted to hear. Not the "normal operation" and "its learning" excuse that has been told to me before. Just tell me the truth, I can deal with the problem. Just be honest with me and other customers.
Old 12-27-07, 08:34 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by MD350
The 08's are not OK. Codex test drove one two weeks ago and it flared. Codex is actually thankful to all of us here on the forum, because he was educated about his purchase.

There is no better place to get the truth than these forums...from the actual owners of the car. If I can help in anyway, I don't mind doing so.
I'm thankful for the info here. On my first test drive, because of this forum, I knew to look for the flare problem and cold start. That first car had a LOT of flares. It was an 08. Dunno the build date, but it was an 08 model. The car I eventually bought hasn't had any cold start or flare problems that I've seen yet, but I knew to check for it b/c of this problem before I bought it. It's a 11/07 build date which is quite recent so I dunno if they've finally fixed it or I got lucky (so far).

I've seen the noisy cold starts on 08 models I checked out in Thanksgiving, but I didn't test drive them so I dunno if they had flares. This was down in LA so it doesn't have to be that cold to make the engine sound really rough if it has the problem.
Old 12-27-07, 09:24 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it does it in LA, imagine what it sounds like in PA!
Old 12-27-07, 04:32 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok Gentlemen, got the ES back late this afternoon.....
First the details from the work order:

* Customer states (always cracks me up, so non-commital)
check engine and VSC lights are on

Result - Codes P0746,0796,2714 present in system
Trans is overreving. Internal Transmission failure

*Cust states transmission is over-revving and at low speeds slams into gear

Result - Internal Transmission failure

TC7006 U660e Shift Flare Concerns Recall TCM

1 30510-33530 Transaxle Assy,AUTO
4 00289-ATFWS World Standard Autom

TC7006A R & R Automatic Transmission

FC: 9a,99
Part # 89530-33041
Count: 1
Claim type: RG

Replaced Transmission as per TSB#TC005-07, REFL ASH TCM

The car was in pretty good physical condition when I got it back.... I went by my mechanic to put it up on the lift to check for any residual fluid... wanted it to be immaculate so if there is any type of leak, it could be spotted more easily. The car was fairly clean (about 85 to 90 %), but I sprayed around some degreaser to get it 100%.

Now the results.... the car had about 16 miles more on it when I got it back.

I drove it another 16-17 miles tonight and it "seems" to shift fine. Definitely smoother than before... did not really notice any flaring although the tranny was probably a little on the warm side. Will be interested to see its "cold" behavior. Didn't really get on it too hard as imagine it needs to physically break in a little bit, but the mild downshifts seemed pretty smooth.
I'll give you all an update as I rack up some more miles in the coming days.

Thanks for all your support, well wishes, and comments.

Quick Reply: Another Transmission goes to Heaven