Another Transmission goes to Heaven

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 07:35 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Unhappy Another Transmission goes to Heaven

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to write this one as could not find any post anywhere describing this exact problem that I recently experienced.
On the way home from work the other night, my "warm" transmission (about 15 miles driven) starts going slightly bezerk. Driving along at a reasonably slow pace and the cars starts revving under mild throttle like it's in neutral. The car then suddenly drops into gear and chirps the tires. This persists for a few minutes and then the trans returns to somewhat normal behavior.
I decide to go in the house for dinner and take the car out for a ride minutes later to see if any changes.
After driving a very short distance, the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree.
The dash displays a "check vsc" message with the red exclamation triangle. Additionally, the "check engine" light illuminates along with the "traction control" light.
Suffice to say, I brought the car down to the dealer the following day. I knew I was sunk.... thay called me with the news I expected.... the car needs a new transmission. 19125 miles.. sheesh ! At least the dash lights came on so I wasn't going to get caught in the "we can't duplicate the problem" situation. Should be installed by Wed or Thurs of next week.

Thought I left these problems behind with my 2001 Acura 3.2tl.
That car needed a trans at around 12000 miles and I got rid of it. Next car was a 2002 ES300 with the sluggish trans although
that one never actually "broke". Now a 2007 Es350 and this nonsense. I'm seriously considering buying a horse !
Old 12-22-07, 07:39 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how the horse performs....

Just kidding!

Sorry to hear this!! Did you have any issues with the tranny before this?
Old 12-22-07, 07:56 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to write this one as could not find any post anywhere describing this exact problem that I recently experienced.
On the way home from work the other night, my "warm" transmission (about 15 miles driven) starts going slightly bezerk. Driving along at a reasonably slow pace and the cars starts revving under mild throttle like it's in neutral. The car then suddenly drops into gear and chirps the tires. This persists for a few minutes and then the trans returns to somewhat normal behavior.
I decide to go in the house for dinner and take the car out for a ride minutes later to see if any changes.
After driving a very short distance, the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree.
The dash displays a "check vsc" message with the red exclamation triangle. Additionally, the "check engine" light illuminates along with the "traction control" light.
Suffice to say, I brought the car down to the dealer the following day. I knew I was sunk.... thay called me with the news I expected.... the car needs a new transmission. 19125 miles.. sheesh ! At least the dash lights came on so I wasn't going to get caught in the "we can't duplicate the problem" situation. Should be installed by Wed or Thurs of next week.

That car needed a trans at around 12000 miles and I got rid of it. Next car was a 2002 ES300 with the sluggish trans although
that one never actually "broke". Now a 2007 Es350 and this nonsense. I'm seriously considering buying a horse !
I know it's a serious post but the horse comment cracked me up...LOL

With a horse the worse ES like experience you could expect is wind noise
Old 12-22-07, 08:05 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Bob, you crack me up!

Do you spend as much time on your Honda forum as you do here?
Old 12-22-07, 08:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
Bob, you crack me up!

Do you spend as much time on your Honda forum as you do here?

I didn't know Honda had a forum

Seriously I have glanced at it, but this is the only internet owner site I had joined and can relate actual experiences with others having or had issues.
Old 12-22-07, 08:16 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I didn't know Honda had a forum

Seriously, how is that new car treating you...if we can be OT for a moment? Any issues??

Everyone knows full well how you were dealt a bad deck with this car(s).
Old 12-22-07, 08:23 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Seriously, how is that new car treating you...if we can be OT for a moment? Any issues??

Everyone knows full well how you were dealt a bad deck with this car(s).
The only issue I have had is the plastic seat belt clip rattle noise, no other and thank GOD and Honda for that. I was worried initially though and likely always will be very cautious no matter the manufacturer in future.

I will always test drive any new car from any manufacturer following our CL member checklist from back when. did on Accord after the 2 ES and the Honda salesperson at first was dumbfounded at my cold start condition, blah, blah as per CL list and then announced she will reveal the same steps to her future customers. She may not have made that announcement if I had passed on the car though She may have said that #$%@$% put me through hell test driving and then didn't buy i hadn't bought.
Old 12-22-07, 08:38 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
The only issue I have had is the plastic seat belt clip rattle noise
Well, I bet you are raising a ruckus about that.

My '94 Accord was flawless. And my friend who bought it from me when I purchased my '98 ES still loves it. It has 200K plus miles and still running like a fine watch.

But, back on topic...were there any problems with NJLEXES' tranny before this very troubling development?
Old 12-22-07, 08:43 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Everyone,

I believe this is the first failure reported. I, too, want to know. Did yours flare? If so, when, how much? TSIB's performed? Details, please.......
Old 12-22-07, 08:47 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Well, I bet you are raising a ruckus about that.

My '94 Accord was flawless. And my friend who bought it from me when I purchased my '98 ES still loves it. It has 200K plus miles and still running like a fine watch.

But, back on topic...were there any problems with NJLEXES' tranny before this very troubling development?
Rattles didn't bother me on ES like it/they did others, I don't seem as sensitive to them, so no ruckus but did mention it and got 3 phone calls after, Honda, svc manager, salesperson, all insisting they be allowed to address it.

NJ, I sincerely hope that you get this issue resolved and it's good you have a little humor in the mix in dealing with it.
Old 12-22-07, 08:49 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

The only issues I could say before this if you were "rough downshifts" from time to time. Essentially if you were rolling along at around 35mph and floored it... the car would rev up and then downshift with kind of a bang.
I didn't drive this car like an old man, but certainly didn't beat on it either.
Never really noticed much of a flare issue from 3 to 4 shift
ironically.
Only other think maybe was a slightly rough 1st to 2nd gear shift.

Having been reading all the trans related posts during this whole time, I just figured this was another funky trans issue like my 2002 ES and was going to live with it until they actually addressed the issue with a good fix.

However, can say a total trans failure was not expected !
Old 12-22-07, 08:52 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The only issues I could say before this if you were "rough downshifts" from time to time. Essentially if you were rolling along at around 35mph and floored it... the car would rev up and then downshift with kind of a bang.
I didn't drive this car like an old man, but certainly didn't beat on it either.
ironically.

Having been reading all the trans related posts during this whole time, I just figured this was another funky trans issue like my 2002 ES and was going to live with it until they actually addressed the issue with a good fix.

Well, that is what a warranty is for. But, does not make me feel so good. Seems your driving habits are like mine. My car never had the major 3rd to 4th flare either. But has numerious minor slips and flares.

May I ask what your build date is? Mine is 7/06.
Old 12-22-07, 08:54 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

One other thing if interested, my car was a 6/06 build and I got the car new in mid July 06.

Besides a cracked windshield at 2 weeks old and the trans falling out now at 19000 mles, the car has been perfect!
Old 12-22-07, 08:54 AM
Macklin
Advanced

ironically.

Wow! Can this be the tip of the iceberg??
Old 12-22-07, 09:00 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Can you do us all a favor and speak to your service manager about this issue. How many have they seen in this condition? Is it a widespread issue? What is going on with the flare issue, etc.

Now that your tranny is dead, there is no reason for them to lie to you. See if you can get some facts for all of us. We do appriciate it!

It would be pretty funny, though, if they told you that your transmission is "learning" and sent you home....

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Another Transmission goes to Heaven