ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

A slight NAV problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 02:16 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A slight NAV problem

I noticed that when I had my car a few months that the NAV system, on occasion, would show the position of my car in the wrong place on the screen. I brought my car to the dealers service dept. and was told that they were aware of this problem and they had to change the DVD disc to upgrade the firmware......NOT the mapping. This change was done, but yesterday, I programmed the NAV to go a short distance....about 15 miles away, and I noticed that the position of my car on screen was approximately 200 feet behind where it should have been. It should have indicated that I was in the intersection. I might add that sometimes the indications are correct.
I tested the same route on my portable Garmin Nuvi and the indications were dead on! Did anybody else notice that problem? I don't know what Lexus will do for me as far as correcting this glitch.
Old 12-25-07, 04:46 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amf1932
I noticed that when I had my car a few months that the NAV system, on occasion, would show the position of my car in the wrong place on the screen. I brought my car to the dealers service dept. and was told that they were aware of this problem and they had to change the DVD disc to upgrade the firmware......NOT the mapping. This change was done, but yesterday, I programmed the NAV to go a short distance....about 15 miles away, and I noticed that the position of my car on screen was approximately 200 feet behind where it should have been. It should have indicated that I was in the intersection. I might add that sometimes the indications are correct.
I tested the same route on my portable Garmin Nuvi and the indications were dead on! Did anybody else notice that problem? I don't know what Lexus will do for me as far as correcting this glitch.
Alan, mine does the same thing. In fact, when I am home, it gives the street number about 1 block away. It is off about 1 block. I thought the new disk was going to solve that problem, and had this on the list to repair when I take my car into the dealer. So, you are saying the new NAV disk does not fix this problem? Hmmm..... I have no idea.
Old 12-25-07, 05:08 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I found this page in the Lexus Navigation Manual, but the question is, how come there are such large inconsistencies between NAV's built in cars, and between portable GPS units especially since they're using the same satellites for positioning? I expected greater accuracy since I spent a helluva lot for this Lexus unit.

Old 12-25-07, 05:15 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Here's a question that somebody posted on another Lexus board which is similar to my query:

I was intrigued by this answer and decided to check things a little further. I really think the Nav is off in the Lexus. I parked the Lexus side by side with my VW Touareg (with Nav) in my driveway as well as breaking out my Magellan handheld GPS. The Lat/Long coordinates relate as follows:

Lexus N33 30 21 W101 53 42
VW N33 30 36 W101 53 71
Mag. N33 30 363 W101 53 711

As you can see, the VW and the Magellan agree perfectly with the Magellan carrying the seconds to 3 digits, but the Lexus is off???

Does the Lexus have any calibration adjustment parameters in a situation like this?

We did notice in our test drive of another ES350 that when approaching an intersection where we were turning, the Nav did NOT give us a turn command for the actual right turn. If the Nav is off in its calibration, then maybe we had not gotten to the point that a command would have been activated?

I will ask the dealer about this at the 1000 mile check-up, but am interested in what you folks think."

Is the above similar to what you are experiencing??

Since that post, I have taken the ES in for the 1k checkup, and one of the things that I asked they check on was this Nav descrepancy. They replied that all was normal and they could not find any problem. My salesman gave me his new RX as a loaner and guess what....it showed the exact same position in my driveway that the ES did! So, I wrote this off as some technical descrepancy that I could not understand. If your current observation is similar, I now wonder again if there is some inherent problem?
Old 12-25-07, 05:25 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
Here's a question that somebody posted on another Lexus board which is similar to my query:
Interesting.....

When I reach my destination, the voice command says that "you have now reached your destination", but actually I am not there and I have another block or so to go.

If you sit at your house and hit the top right button on the unit, it should give you your street number and address on the screen. Is your street number correct? Mine is not. Even at other locations, the street number is always off.
Old 12-25-07, 06:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
Interesting.....

When I reach my destination, the voice command says that "you have now reached your destination", but actually I am not there and I have another block or so to go.

If you sit at your house and hit the top right button on the unit, it should give you your street number and address on the screen. Is your street number correct? Mine is not. Even at other locations, the street number is always off.
The destination bit may be the programming. It may say you're arrived a bit earlier so that you can start looking for parking around your destination although a block does seem a bit too far.

The street number bit is more of a mapping error from Navteq. On my Teleatlas-mapped TomTom, one of my friend's house is mapped dead on. Another is off by a few houses. Same city, yet the numbering on the map is off for one, but dead on for another.
Old 12-25-07, 07:30 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

So, I guess after reading what it said in the NAV manual, as illustrated in my above post, I guess I shouldn't even mention this problem when I bring the car in for service.
Old 12-25-07, 09:06 PM
unknown2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this sounds stupid, but try to recalibrate your system for a new set of tires and see...
Old 12-25-07, 10:17 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by unknown2
Maybe this sounds stupid, but try to recalibrate your system for a new set of tires and see...
It's not a stupid idea at all.......I was going to try that.
Old 12-26-07, 07:57 AM
Rickanns
Driver School Candidate

This is kind of "beating a dead horse", but...

I am the new ES owner who compared the VW Touareg and Magellan GPS to the Lexus and asked the question as to why they provide different readings.

When coming to my house, the Nav ends before you make the turn onto my street(more than 1/2 a block). When going to my daughters house in Dallas, it ended on the street before the last turn and was over a block off. When going to a pharmacy here, the Nav said it was on the south side of a major artery when in fact, it was on the north side.

When sitting in my driveway, the Nav shows and address of 9773(no such address exists;the last address on the street is 9713)....the actual adress is 9709. This is several hundred feet off.

I can visualize a situation where you may not be able to find your destination using this Nav if you don't already know where it is.

Both the Lexus and the VW systems are based on Navtech data and systems.

I am not technical enought to offer any real definition or solution to this situation, but agree with Alan that for the $ spent, the system ought to be accurate. Heck, for a couple hundred bucks, a hendheld is accurate.

My original hope was that some scientific member might be able to explain.

Rick
Old 12-26-07, 08:02 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Very helpful info, thank you.
Old 12-29-07, 09:26 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

I am back east and do not have my ES350 nor the manuals but I did see an adjustment function so you can adjust your cars physical location on the display map you see on the dash display. Look for that info somewhere in the manuals and try to move your car's location. This may fix the problem or at least make it a bit more palatable.
Old 12-30-07, 09:46 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Rickanns,

Moving your car on the display screen will probably fix your problem. See my other post in this thread.
Old 01-01-08, 08:49 AM
gappell
Rookie

I have the new 7.1 navigation disk and the new display module to correct the original navigation system problems. I have noticed that my original locations previously programmed are now in error. When I enter in a new address the system is a few houses off. I don't think that the new map software in 7.1 is not as good as the original 5.1.

I have read the manual on calibration (page 92) but have not tried anything yet. The current vehicle position mark can be adjusted manually. On page 272 they list the limitations and state an accuracy of 300 feet.
Old 01-01-08, 08:57 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gappell
On page 272 they list the limitations and state an accuracy of 300 feet.
My display error is less than 300 ft., so this is the reason I probably won't bring it in to Lexus service.....especially since it's not always wrong. I'll mention it when I bring it in for normal service though.

Quick Reply: A slight NAV problem