ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Window Tint ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 05:45 PM
ES350ULTRA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint ?

Anybody get there windows tinted? If so what config did you do? I have an appointment to get them done Saturday and was thinking about doing 32% all around but am also considering 32% on the front and 50% in the back.

Also is there any tint that is better than others or are they pretty much all the same. I live in California so whatever keeps out the UV and sun the most without getting to dark would be good.

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 01-03-08, 05:56 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

32% all the way around will look good. nice and light, however it is illegal in ca on the fronts. go with a film that wont interfere with your AM/NAV and has a lifetime warranty. stay away from dyed film.

i like light tint on black cars.
Old 01-03-08, 08:55 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

32% in front and 50% in rear is reverse of what's normally done and would look weird IMO.

THere's a big difference in tints. However, it comes with a big price difference too. It all depends on how much you value heat rejection.

On my BMW, I had Huper Optik 30% on the rear (lowest % they have in the US) and V-Kool 70% on the front side windows (very light cuz I keep getting tint tickets other wise). Both reject a LOT of heat, but are VERY expensive with very few installers. I'm originally from SoCal and I hate getting into hot cars so the heat rejection was very important to me. The Huper 30% and the V-Kool 70% rejected more heat than the cheapy limo tint (5%) I had on the Honda that I had before the BMW.

So, you've got cheapy stuff that runs from $100-$250 depending on how good the installer is. Then, the high end stuff that seems around $400-600. Those prices are for the whole car (excluding windshield and moonroof).

Huper Optik is ceramic (basically - not gonna get too technical on it's metallic content). Doesn't affect radio/cell/radar detector reception. V-Kool is metallic based so it's a bit more mirror like and can affect reception more. However, because it's metallic based, it can be lighter yet still reject a great amount of heat. There are other ceramic and metallic based tints, but those two brands are the best of the best.
Old 01-03-08, 08:59 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I've been all over the state and the best tinters are in SoCal. There are good ones everywhere, but there are a lot more who can do a good job for a good price down in SoCal. Prolly cuz it's hotter so more demand for tint.

There's a place in NorCal that can do both Huper and V-Kool at the same shop. Very convenient (I had to go to two different shops in SoCal for the BMW). Unfortunately, based on message board posts I've seen from them, they don't like working with the stuff and it sounds like they're not that great at installing the stuff. Well, they're ok, but the SoCal places I went to did an AWESOME job and had no problems with some of the stuff that NorCal shop was complaining about.

PM me if you want names.
Old 01-04-08, 11:33 AM
VIPtint
Pole Position

formula one pinnacle and llumar axcess are good ceramic films in which you can have a greater options of shades. they are both ceramic(noninterfering metal) but they come in dark non reflective shades. huper/madico/johnson ceramics have a very limited selection because they are actually residential/commercial films, they are highly reflective as well. they do very well in blocking out heat, but some like privacy of dark tint, and some dont like reflective
Old 01-04-08, 02:05 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Madico Ceramic is what i have, and it's great. 35% all around, but doesn't look dark on my car. If cops bust you, that's trouble you dont need. I discourage different darkness on the same car cus it looks wierd. Just get the darkest possible that wont get you busted. The UV/heat blockage is wonderful.
Old 01-04-08, 02:14 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also live in Socal and the cops here don't care much about window tint because I had my tint for a while and never had any problems. (limo tint all around + 35% front)
Old 01-05-08, 01:12 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by VIPtint
formula one pinnacle and llumar axcess are good ceramic films in which you can have a greater options of shades. they are both ceramic(noninterfering metal) but they come in dark non reflective shades. huper/madico/johnson ceramics have a very limited selection because they are actually residential/commercial films, they are highly reflective as well. they do very well in blocking out heat, but some like privacy of dark tint, and some dont like reflective
Huper's not reflective. Don't know about the others. But yeah, Huper only goes to 30% in the US so it's not great for privacy. I went with them anyways, and will continue to stick with them for the Lexus, because they have the highest performance and I care more about heat rejection then privacy.
Old 01-05-08, 02:26 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by codex57
Huper's not reflective. Don't know about the others. But yeah, Huper only goes to 30% in the US so it's not great for privacy. I went with them anyways, and will continue to stick with them for the Lexus, because they have the highest performance and I care more about heat rejection then privacy.
it actually is, but its hard to tell when the film is so light. it has to be reflective to be put on dual pane windows on homes and businesses, to insure that thermal glass fracturing is minimal. you would notice the differance if you took a piece of huper 30% and put it next to a dyed film that is 30%. also if you look at your windows on a not sunny day, the refection is obvious. when the sun is out it penetrates the windows and you can see clearly into the interior
Old 01-05-08, 02:56 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VIPtint
Huper Optik will make your AM radio on the 350 all but useless. It does have metal in it. For some reason it does not effect all cars.

The following is from the Huper site:What Is Nano-ceramics?Ceramics are tough and stable materials. Due to their ability to withstand adverse conditions, nano-ceramics are used in NASA's space program directly on the shuttles, integrated circuit component chips and even in industrial drill bits and cutting tools. The Huper Optik Ceramic coating is an extremely thin layer of the electrically conductive transition metal oxynitride, which has intrinsic solar selectivity originating from its unique molecular structure. Nano-ceramics are atomic-fine, equivalent to 0.000000001m, discrete optical coatings that are deposited through reactive plasma processes. They are therefore able to reject more heat and, being ceramic, Huper Optik Ceramic films are also more durable than any other window films.
Old 01-07-08, 09:10 AM
ES350ULTRA
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Well I went with solargard metalic tint at 32% all around from the Tint Connection in Costa Mesa, CA. They did an awesome job! I was going to go with the ceramic because of all the talk I have heard about metalic tints causing interferience with the NAV and AM radio. Come to find out that the ceramic tints also can cause interfence and do have a small percent of metal. However on the newer cars this is NOT an issue at least not with the 07 - 08 ES350. I was ready and willing to pay the extra money for the ceramic tint but the owner told me that metalic would work perfectly with my AM and NAV.

I tested the NAV, AM, and FM radio before and after and there is no issues at all.
Old 01-11-08, 03:28 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I did my ES and GS with 35% front and rear sides + 25% on the rear window only. Sounds strange but it looks good IMO.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 01-17-08 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 07:47 PM
wangjt
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't signed on for a few months. Anyways.. here's a picture of my Black ES with 35% all around. Would have been ideal if I uploaded this before you tinted your car.

It looks a lot lighter in the picture than it actually is. That particular day was extremely bright. The tint was just put on and they left the sunroof opened (more light from the top to brighten the inside). Also my interior is cashmere which I have heard is a big difference compared to black interiors.

BTW, darkest in CA that won't get you busted is no tint on the fronts (or 70% tint with doctor's note). Roll down your windows when you see a cop (just to be on the safe side). I got tagged for 50% on the fronts once. And no it wasn't one of those... he pulled you over for speeding and decided to also write you up for the tint. He got me while I was pulling out of the parking lot at Safeway

http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.t.wa...01342564469026
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint ?-102_1412.283144755-2.jpg  
Old 01-12-08, 08:18 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Any pictures of the tint with the moonroof closed? i was thinking of doing 35% but it looks lighter then i thought.
Old 01-12-08, 09:19 PM
wangjt
Driver School Candidate

I'll take another picture tomorrow with the moonroof closed. It's a pretty big difference.

Quick Reply: Window Tint ?