ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Front Lic. Plate missing (So.Cal only)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 04:35 PM
GRFE350ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lic. Plate missing (So.Cal only)

My 07ES350 is from Orange County CA, and spends most of time in this area. This lexus did not come with License plate frame installed in FRONT when I bought it new. Front bumper is clean without a screw or holes for a plate.
I have been driving without front side lic. plate so far. (I believe FrontLicPlate is not required in Orange County in southern California.)

Yesterday I got a $25-citation for MissingFrontLicPlate while it was parked in LAX airport parking lot. (LosAngeles County requires FrontLicPlate, I think.)

Is this my fault or LexusDealers?
(I am also posting this to let people know so that they don't get ticketed.)
Old 01-14-08, 04:42 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front bracket is usually mounted by the dealer at during the PDI (pre delivery inspection). If your state does not need a front plate, they may not mount it.

However, I have never heard of different counties within the same state having different laws about front plates. It is usually the same across the state.

I would take the car back to the dealer and have them install the bracket. They should do it for nothing.

As to the fine, I don't think your dealer is going to pay it. Maybe you can get a free oil change or tank of gas for your troubles.

Good luck
Old 01-14-08, 06:13 PM
PINESOL
Driver School Candidate

your car should have came with one ...
retail they run about 45 bucks ... and last i heard it is a fix it ticket in the state of california . no county excluded ... for what its worth the p/n for it is 52114-33180.
Old 01-14-08, 07:35 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Front plate is required in ALL of California. There are no specific "county" rules. It's the California vehicle code. There are no county vehicle codes. The only differences btw counties might be how much they charge for a particular violation (but even then, it's generally very similar).

You can debate over who's moral fault it is, but legally, it's your fault. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse according to the judicial system (particularly for things like traffic tickets and parking tickets).

I used to work as a DA prosecuting traffic stuff.
Old 01-14-08, 08:35 PM
psp
Pole Position

Mine might be mounted, yeah it's mounted, yeah...that's it. Or it's in the trunk.
Old 01-14-08, 08:42 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks. I never knew you can get fix-it tickets while parked. Weird...

But yeah I doubt you can get away from paying, its only 25 bucks.

I guess you can take the ticket to the dealer which you purchased from and tell them you got this because of there ignorance. The most I think theyll do is install the bracket free of charge.
Old 01-14-08, 08:50 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For about 35 years, I didn't have a front license plate on any of my cars. However, recently I applied for a SENTRI pass and before they would install the transponders, I had to put the front license plates on the cars. I did know about getting tickets at LAX, but that is usually for overnight parking.

When I bought the ES 350, I asked the salesman not to install the front licence plate bracket. They did not and put it in the trunk. When I bought the GX 470, I asked them not to drill any holes in the bumper, as it has no bracket.

So, I bought some nice Lexus frames and to my surprise, it doesn't look that bad.

~ Cap
Old 01-14-08, 09:31 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Dealer will install it at no charge since they're supposed to put it on anyways since it's CA law. Nice ones won't put it on until they check with the client first since some don't want holes in the bumper and will live with the tickets.

About a couple of years ago, LAX started roving patrols just to give out things like no front plate tickets. Regular police generally don't do this and only give out no front plate if they're searching for something to ticket you for (usually if you're modded or otherwise acting suspicous).
Old 01-16-08, 01:19 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
That sucks. I never knew you can get fix-it tickets while parked. Weird...
Well, it's possible to get a ticket for expired registration tags while parked (on a public street); after all, it's not as if the only way vehicle code infractions can occur is only if the vehicle is in motion.
Old 01-16-08, 01:52 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRFE350ES
My 07ES350 is from Orange County CA, and spends most of time in this area. This lexus did not come with License plate frame installed in FRONT when I bought it new. Front bumper is clean without a screw or holes for a plate.
I have been driving without front side lic. plate so far. (I believe FrontLicPlate is not required in Orange County in southern California.)

Yesterday I got a $25-citation for MissingFrontLicPlate while it was parked in LAX airport parking lot. (LosAngeles County requires FrontLicPlate, I think.)

Is this my fault or LexusDealers?
(I am also posting this to let people know so that they don't get ticketed.)
[soapbox]
Now I can speak only for CA since I don't know the front license plate laws for every other state, but...unless you were born and/or just started driving yesterday--how the heck were you able to drive/go around all this time seeing that 99% of the cars on the road have front plates and NOT wonder to yourself as to why it's not possible for you to mount the front plate on your vehicle? Surely you're not trying to insinuate that the majority of vehicles out there on the roads in OC are going around w/ no front plates, are you?

Now it may be the dealer's fault for either failing to install or not providing you the bracket, but it's not their fault--or responsibility, for that matter--to ensure that you are obeying the law when it comes to properly displaying your front/rear license plates. After all, surely you must realize that the reason DMV mails you two plates is not so that you can keep one plate as a spare/backup.
[/soapbox]

While it sucks that you got a ticket...the reality is that you really have no one but yourself to blame for having received one.

Last edited by toneman; 01-16-08 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 02:03 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,

In Chicago, local law enforcement has been know to ticket cars parked on the street for no front plate. I got away with no tickets on my 1st gen for four years. I told the porter not to instal one one my new 2nd gen and I cross my fingers on my way to work as the cops are rough about it. I think it is a $75 ticket here. I hate how it looks on the car. The install kit is two screws and a plastic mounting plate. Then another two screws afix the plate to the bracket. Make sure they don't just screw the plate directly to the bumper.
Old 01-17-08, 05:50 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Just got my new plates today. In CA, the package which the plates come in have a BIG warning on the outside of the envelope which says TWO plates are required in CA. It's pretty obvious. If you miss it, it's pretty hard to argue that it's anyone's fault but your own.
Old 01-20-08, 01:16 AM
GRFE350ES
Driver School Candidate

Today I went to the dealer, and they installed the bracket (front side lic. plate) at free of charge. They also gave us a complementary car wash. How nice...Thank you for info everyone.
Old 01-20-08, 03:31 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Good. I've heard of dealers (not Lexus) attempting to charge in CA. Glad your Lexus dealership treated you properly.
Old 01-21-08, 01:14 PM
PINESOL
Driver School Candidate

good im glad your local lexus dealer took care of you .. we strive for exceptional customer satisfaction .. its nice to know other dealers do it too ..

Quick Reply: Front Lic. Plate missing (So.Cal only)