ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I compare my 2005 RL, 2006 M45 and 2007 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 11:52 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I compare my 2005 RL, 2006 M45 and 2007 ES350

Dedicated internet automobile forums provide a wealth of information to owners of automobiles. Unfortunately, some posts submitted by fan boys add nothing of a positive nature to the forum but instead viciously attack and denigrate advocates of other makes of automobiles. I consider these posts nothing more than written by immature, unintelligent and mean spirited asses.

I am a car enthusiast. I have owned cars of differing body styles, engine sizes and types of transmissions. I enjoy owning cars, I enjoy driving cars and I enjoy reading the comments about cars issued by other enthusiasts.

Based on personal experience, I pass on to others my opinions about the cars I have owned. I try to be objective but at times my bias for or against something is displayed. To forewarn others of my bias, I preface my remarks stating that they are subjective and based upon my personal opinion.

Now, to the purpose of this thread, as if this point in time, I have owned and driven my 2007 Lexus ES350 long enough to make comparisons between it and two former cars I owned the two years before I purchased the Lexus. In 2005 I owned an Acura RL. In 2006 I owned an Infiniti M45. In 2007 I purchased my Lexus.

I select my cars after extensive research. Once I decide on a particular car, I obtain pricing from local dealerships. Next, I compare the lowest local price with those offered by dealers in California and Nevada (adjacent states to my home, Arizona). I then make my purchase from the dealer who offers the lowest out the door price.

Although the RL, M45 and ES350 differ in engine size and drive train, each is comparable to the other in most other ways. All were equipped with similar features.

2005 Acura RL 6 cylinder 300hp 3.5 liter SH-AWD (paid $47,886).
2006 Infiniti M45 8 cylinder 325hp 4.5 liter rear wheel drive (paid $52,522).
2007 Lexus ES350 6 cylinder 272hp 3.5 liter front wheel drive (paid $42,243).

From this point, everything I say is SUBJECTIVE! I recognize and respect that some will take issue and advance their opinions. Good. I welcome a decent and spirited exchange of views.

I believe that all three of these cars were well worth the price I paid for them. Each has been reliable, failure free and a pleasure to own. The following are my SUBJECTIVE observations about these cars:

The RL is feature rich and luxurious. I loved every moment I owned it.
It provides the best handling of the three.
It provides more stability than the others.
It has the most intuitive and best-working navigation system.
It delivers more detailed and better driver information on the screen.
It has the best interior lighting system.

The M45 evokes visceral sensations and is the most exciting to drive.
It is fastest out the gate and accelerates with verve.
Its interior is the most elegantly appointed.
Has the best paint finish.
Has the best head-light system.
Has the best voice recognition system.
Has superior brakes.
Its tire pressure monitor system is the most informative system.

The ES350 is stylish, the most sedate, quiet and comfortable of the three.
It accelerates and cruises quickly with ease and safely.
It is clearly the most fuel efficient of the three.
It has the best fit of hardware.
It has the best bluetooth system.
It has the best home-link (garage opener) system.
Its electroluminescent instrumentation is the most visible night or day.
It has the finest audio system.
Its heating/cooling seats are fractionally better.
It has the most outstanding camera, front and rear avoidance system.

There are many, many more features and/or attributes that each of these fine cars provide. But, the ones I have listed were the most important ones to me.

For the final car I would every own and drive, I would choose the Lexus ES350 over the Acura RL or the Infiniti M45. I like the layout of its dashboard controls, the way I fit in the driver’s seat, the smooth and quiet drive and the power at my pedal when I need it. Lastly, I cannot help but smile at the pump after which I get between 22mpg in the city and 31mpg on the highway. I also really like the lines of the ES350. The Lexus simply looks elegant to me.
Old 01-15-08, 01:01 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks carbuff for your insight to the 3 different comparable vehicles. When i was thinking about purchasing a new car, as my 92 integra had seen better days, those were the exact cars i was looking at, the es350, the m35/45, the RL/TL, and also a used mercedes E class ( couldnt afford new), but I chose the lexus based on value for my money and havent looked back since, it was an exceptional purchase for me.
Old 01-15-08, 01:43 PM
carbuff
Driver

Smokey, I am happy to learn that your experience has been as good as mine.

Regards
Old 01-15-08, 01:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for your insights carbuff!!!
Old 01-15-08, 02:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Carbuff, great write-up and comparisions. I feel the same as you and Smokey about my ES350 experience so far. Money well spent in my opinon.

It looks like you change cars every model year or so. Are you researching your next one yet? If so, what's on your list?
Old 01-15-08, 03:30 PM
carbuff
Driver

Well, since you asked LexBob, I have begun my research. My lists consists of coupes this time:

G37
3 Series
SLK550
both A5 and S4
and also the SC430

All are quite different and prices vary. Nevertheless, I have not had a coupe since in 1988 with a BMW.
Old 01-15-08, 03:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

May I ask, and apologies if you've answered this before, but how do you arrange to have a new car every year? Short-term leases?
Old 01-15-08, 04:27 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. I have looked at the M and the RL myself. The ES a bang for the buck for sure. I still do miss my TL, though. For $30K, that was a bargin.
Old 01-16-08, 03:19 AM
carbuff
Driver

We all have certain passions in life. Besides my wife, my passions have been the Navy, my business career and cars. My love of cars began when I was a teen in the 1940’s. Then, I helped two older neighbor boys build a hot rod. Since then, I have owned or leased thirty-nine used and new cars.

Since 1988, I obtain a new car and retain it for a period of fifteen months to two years (regardless of mileage driven).

I am a good trader and receive top dollar for my cars because they are always in excellent condition when I dispose of them. Since 1988, the cost for me to own a new car for the amount of time it is with me (18 months to 24 months) has averaged $5,500 or $229 to $305 per month. Some might think this extravagant. But, it keeps me in a new car all of the time.
Old 01-16-08, 11:59 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

That's a very cool arrangement!! Glad it works out for you.
Old 01-16-08, 12:48 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice reviews, and nice setup with being able to get a new car when you get bored!
Old 01-17-08, 09:15 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
We all have certain passions in life. Besides my wife, my passions have been the Navy, my business career and cars. My love of cars began when I was a teen in the 1940’s. Then, I helped two older neighbor boys build a hot rod. Since then, I have owned or leased thirty-nine used and new cars.

Since 1988, I obtain a new car and retain it for a period of fifteen months to two years (regardless of mileage driven).

I am a good trader and receive top dollar for my cars because they are always in excellent condition when I dispose of them. Since 1988, the cost for me to own a new car for the amount of time it is with me (18 months to 24 months) has averaged $5,500 or $229 to $305 per month. Some might think this extravagant. But, it keeps me in a new car all of the time.
INteresting. What I find annoying is that every time I buy another car (in my state), I have to pay sales tax to the state. If someone changes cars often, why should the state get its full 5% sales tax each time? I agree with you that if you keep the cars in good shape and trade at good prices, you can keep your ownership costs down. But paying $2000 and up in state tax each time stinks!

By the way, which of the 3 cars you reviewed do you find has the most comfortable seats? I have a bad back, so am in the market for a mid-level car with excellent COMFORT!

thanks
Old 01-17-08, 09:50 AM
carbuff
Driver

bostonsnow, the sales tax situation when buying new cars quite offen is a bummer.

Regarding the matter of seats, boy is that a subjective subject.

Body size (height and weight) and age probably has a lot to do with how seat support and comfort differs from person to person.

I am 5'8" tall and weigh 170 lbs and have a bit of arthritis. My wife is 5'4" tall and weighs 105 lbs. She has found the seating in all to be supportive and comfortable regardless of distance driven.

I too found the seats in all of the three to be comfortable for short distance driving one to two hours non-stop).

After two hours driving the RL, I get a bit tired and have to shift my seating position.

The ES has the hardest seats and after two hours driving I must shift my body to relieve undue pressure.

The Infiniti seats fit me to a T. I could drive all day in it without shifting or having to stretch while driving.

After thinking about this for a while, I have come to the conclusion that a younger person without the aches and pains of aging would find the seating for all three to be excellent for short or long distance driving.

Last edited by carbuff; 01-17-08 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 11:23 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see how you say the things about the RL. However, I looked at the M35. I dunno if the V8 version has an upgraded interior, but I loved the size of the M35 but ruled it out quickly because I thought the interior was crappier than my old Honda Civic. Sure there was some wood trim and leather that the Civic didn't have and it was more stylish, but the quality of materials was BAD imo.
Old 01-17-08, 12:00 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
Well, since you asked LexBob, I have begun my research. My lists consists of coupes this time:

G37
3 Series
SLK550
both A5 and S4
and also the SC430

All are quite different and prices vary. Nevertheless, I have not had a coupe since in 1988 with a BMW.
CARBUFF,
I was trolling this forum when I came across your thread. Let me say, first, that I could not agree with you more. Thank you for honesty and for such a good write-up. I agree with you that it's more important to be respectful of others' opinions.

The other reason for my response is to offer some insights on the S4. I own an `06 S4 that I purchased CPO in July 2007. The car had about 14K on the odometer when I bought it. The S4 is the muscle car of today in my opinion - V8 + light weight + all-wheel-drive = a very fast and nimble car! The navigation screen offers both look-down and look-ahead perspectives, and can be adjusted/operated while the car is in motion. The Bluetooth connection is the best I have experienced thus far. My S4 is equipped with the "Steptronic" gear-shift with paddle shifters (one of the best features of the car in my opinion). Try this car, I think you'll like it!

Quick Reply: I compare my 2005 RL, 2006 M45 and 2007 ES350