ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How is your AC in extreme heat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 11:33 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How is your AC in extreme heat?

I am on the road often and drive in areas such as Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV in the summer where temperatures can get as high as 119 degrees.
The AC in my Accord can barely keep up. At these temps, I am dripping with sweat. I wonder how much better the AC on a new ES is going to tackle such extreme heat. I am sure the owners in the southwest have some opinions on this.
Thanks
Old 01-30-08, 12:26 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in southern california, LA county..... i have found the ES350's AC to be rather pitiful compared to my parent's Mercedes GL.... it does not seem to get as cold as i feel like it should...
Old 01-30-08, 02:43 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in the Valley of the Sun. From mid May through mid October, extremely high temperatures bake everthing under the sun.

In 2007, we had continuous three digit days throught the summer. My ES350 handled the temps without difficulty. On the most intense days, it only took a few moments for the entire interior to reach desirable levels.

I have found the heating and cooling system of this car to be as good or better than any of my former European cars. It does not meet the level of excellence of my M45. Nevertheless, it provides a good command of the environment.
Old 01-30-08, 05:14 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gandro
I am on the road often and drive in areas such as Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV in the summer where temperatures can get as high as 119 degrees.
The AC in my Accord can barely keep up. At these temps, I am dripping with sweat. I wonder how much better the AC on a new ES is going to tackle such extreme heat. I am sure the owners in the southwest have some opinions on this.
Thanks
gandro,

The AC in ES is VERY close to Accord assuming you have a newer Accord. They are both GREAT and for heat as well, each was better than my MB and my test of C280. My experience is the Accord is slightly better in AC and equal in heat.

You will want to be sure to set it at fresh air intake (both mine had minds of their own and I kept having to manually do it) when you first get in it on hot days and REAL IMPORTANT ----also open all windows for first couple of seconds in drive, after that select recirc mode and you should chill out nicely, once you have cooled off set it back to fresh air intake.

Auto AC are freon charged in a one charge fits all manner which is not an ideal circumstance for AC units and some may need addition of, or very rarely subtraction of freon depending.

ng...,

Maybe ask service to check your freon level, you should be pleased in your area conditions.
Old 01-30-08, 06:16 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I live in Phoenix where it was extremely not last summer and the AC in my ES350 seemed up to the task. I have the temperature set for 70 degrees year round and rarely used the high blower speed for very long - I don't lilke the noise. It cooled the car down to a comfortable level pretty quickly. What was said about getting the hot air out of the car when starting up is important.

Dave Mac
Old 01-30-08, 09:31 AM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

its also nice having a breeze blowing on your butt... really airs things out
Old 01-30-08, 09:52 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I have had mine in 100 degrees and -10 below. With the seat warmers/coolers, I have always been pretty comfortable within no more than 3-5 minutes, and from that point on, could not ask for more...
Old 01-31-08, 02:12 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota/Lexus A/C works great in hot temps, I drive through the desert ALL the time.
Old 01-31-08, 05:47 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Even in very humid days of the mid atlantic states, the ES has probably the best A/C unit I have owned.

And the seat coolers, I have to turn them off at times when I am wearing shorts. It gets a little chilly down there.
Old 01-31-08, 08:01 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard Honda is known for their good A/C, so if your Accord can't keep up then theres a slim chance many other vehicles can.

Maybe just leave it on air circulation and having some tint would help you out.

The 2.5LS (not sure about the others) also has unreal A/C even on the hottest days, I bet you could turn the cabin into a deep freeze with it.
Old 01-31-08, 08:03 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile

I've found the A/c in this car to work very well.

In general (with all cars), people need to use the A/C correctly and I think many people do not. I think alot of them go right to max recirc right off the bat. All you're doing there is trying to cool extremely hot air.

When first getting in the car when it's really, really hot, I do the following steps:

1) Open the windows and sunroof to let all the hot air out of the car.

2) Turn the a/c on full cold temp and maximum fan. This blows out all the hot air trapped in the duct work.
Also, be sure it is NOT on recirc.

3) Let it run like this for about 30-45 seconds.

4)Drive for a few seconds to let the wind carry out any additional hot air trapped in the car.

5) You can then roll up the windows, switch over to recirc, and off you go
Old 01-31-08, 08:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
I've found the A/c in this car to work very well.

In general (with all cars), people need to use the A/C correctly and I think many people do not. I think alot of them go right to max recirc right off the bat. All you're doing there is trying to cool extremely hot air.

When first getting in the car when it's really, really hot, I do the following steps:

1) Open the windows and sunroof to let all the hot air out of the car.

2) Turn the a/c on full cold temp and maximum fan. This blows out all the hot air trapped in the duct work.
Also, be sure it is NOT on recirc.

3) Let it run like this for about 30-45 seconds.

4)Drive for a few seconds to let the wind carry out any additional hot air trapped in the car.

5) You can then roll up the windows, switch over to recirc, and off you go
Those are good tips. You have to get the hot air out of the car ASAP and then the AC can do its job.

IMO most of the new cars these days, imported and domestic have very good HVAC systems.
Old 02-01-08, 05:55 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

One thing not mentioned in this thread, using your fod, you can remotely open your windows and moon roof quite a distance from the car. I usually do this from inside my office (two floors up from the parking lot). By the time I get down to my car, a lot of the heat build-up is gone.

oakplank
Old 02-01-08, 07:24 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK
One thing not mentioned in this thread, using your fod, you can remotely open your windows and moon roof quite a distance from the car. I usually do this from inside my office (two floors up from the parking lot). By the time I get down to my car, a lot of the heat build-up is gone.

oakplank
Using the remote fob on an UL ES350 w/panoramic moonroof does not open the moonroof........only the windows.
Old 02-03-08, 12:59 AM
unknown2
Driver

I live in a country where AZ is a joke compare to it. The ES350 A/C is so great that i have to turn it down little bit because it's so cold!

BTY, i have another picture with 140F but i can't find it.. I took these pictures from another car because the ES350 will never read any temp higher than 122F (50C)...

Quick Reply: How is your AC in extreme heat?