ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2008 ES-350 - Any mechnical Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 07:20 AM
sugarlsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radeonboy
I hate how my ES's front and back glass creaks when I go over something bumpy. Don't know why I can't stand it :-/
Please see my post on 08 windshield noise. I got mine fixed and I am now very happy!
Old 02-18-08, 04:46 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

I heard talks about the outside mirror wind noise. Supposidly the fix is to add a felt type material into the gaps where the mirrors pivot. This prevents air from rushing through there causing a noise.

I havent personally done one, but this is what I heard from my FTS.
Old 02-18-08, 08:18 PM
swiftarrow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onepointon
I heard talks about the outside mirror wind noise. Supposidly the fix is to add a felt type material into the gaps where the mirrors pivot. This prevents air from rushing through there causing a noise.

I'd really like to suggest this fix to my dealer. Could you give me some specific recommendations that he would understand? Thanks.
Old 02-19-08, 11:12 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Center front speaker housing squeaks. I'll mention it when I take it down for the 5000 mile oil change.

Pretty sure it's that housing and not the windshield cuz if I keep my hand on it, it doesn't squeak anymore.
Old 02-19-08, 12:42 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onepointon

The amount (i.e., noise level) of wind noise blowing by the windows/doors apparently can be affected by how "tightly" the window is closed. I find that if I let the window roll all the way up until the top edge of the window is pushed up against the upper window frame (you can see the window "bulge" outward a wee bit if you look closely), then flick the window open just a smidgen (so that the "bulge" flattens out)--I find that the wind noise isn't as loud at sub-cruising speeds (e.g., below 65 mph) than if I hadn't flicked the window down.
Old 02-19-08, 12:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codex57
Center front speaker housing squeaks. I'll mention it when I take it down for the 5000 mile oil change.

Pretty sure it's that housing and not the windshield cuz if I keep my hand on it, it doesn't squeak anymore.
There is a TSIB on this, had it completed on mine. It involves removing the dash and a bunch of felt. It did the trick.
Old 02-19-08, 01:09 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Wow, that's a lot of work. Noise seems to be confined to just that speaker housing area. Oh well, onepointon did say he enjoyed work like that so I don't have to feel sorry for the tech who does it.
Old 02-20-08, 05:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swiftarrow
I bought an '08 ES350 in December. Initially, the car vibrated a lot, especially at higher speeds. The dealer fixed that by balancing the tires. There may be some subtle engine noise and transmission issues, but nothing obvious.

The thing I find most frustrating and disappointing is the wind noise coming from the front of the driver's and front passenger's windows. It starts around 40 mph, and just gets louder with increasing speed. I really expected a Lexus to be a lot quieter. After reading all the wind noise posts, I suspect that the cause is air turbulence around the side mirrors. The dealer says nothing can be done. Hopefully Lexus will issue a TSIB to fix the problem (like they did on the LS).

Steve
The 08 mirrors are a change from 07.

The wind noise exactly as you describe, starting around 40 to 45 mph and worsening the faster you go to point of nearly intolerable, is what I and many other 07 owners experienced coming from the windows themselves and was not from mirrors.

You can try another dealer who may make some attempts for you, corporate will not do anything in my experiences, maybe review the DIY we came up with on here in the wind noise threads, some of those have pics to help identify areas of window.

I believe the best approach I have read on here was by a static's dealer so review his input in the wind noise threads.
Old 02-20-08, 09:41 AM
swiftarrow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
The 08 mirrors are a change from 07.

The wind noise exactly as you describe, starting around 40 to 45 mph and worsening the faster you go to point of nearly intolerable, is what I and many other 07 owners experienced coming from the windows themselves and was not from mirrors.

You can try another dealer who may make some attempts for you, corporate will not do anything in my experiences, maybe review the DIY we came up with on here in the wind noise threads, some of those have pics to help identify areas of window.

I believe the best approach I have read on here was by a static's dealer so review his input in the wind noise threads.

Thank, Bob. I looked up Static's posts. Sounds like his dealer solved the problem. I'm going to take his post to my dealer and ask him to "increase the tension of the weatherstrip" inside my front doors.

Hopefully the dealer will (1) understand what I'm saying, and (2) be willing to give it a try.

I wonder if anyone else has fixed the wind noise problem this way.

Steve C.
Old 02-20-08, 09:53 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that's a lot of work. Noise seems to be confined to just that speaker housing area. Oh well, onepointon did say he enjoyed work like that so I don't have to feel sorry for the tech who does it.
Yep, right above the vents. Sounds like a marble rolling around in there. Very annoying. Yep, its gone now.

By the way, this is the 2nd time the dash has been removed for rattles. Both times, the dealer did a clean job. As scary as it sounds, it turned out great.
Old 02-20-08, 11:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swiftarrow
Thank, Bob. I looked up Static's posts. Sounds like his dealer solved the problem. I'm going to take his post to my dealer and ask him to "increase the tension of the weatherstrip" inside my front doors.

Hopefully the dealer will (1) understand what I'm saying, and (2) be willing to give it a try.

I wonder if anyone else has fixed the wind noise problem this way.

Steve C.
Nobody else that I know of had what he described done as the rest of us were left up to our own efforts with it labeled normal for an ES even by dealers.

If they don't understand or won't do anything let me know I had/have a few more DIY methods I'll dice out for you.
Old 02-21-08, 06:18 PM
swiftarrow
Driver School Candidate

I checked the Lexus Owners Club forum, and found a post by a guy whose dealer fixed the wind noise problem "by tightening the belt molding inside the door which is part of the window channel at the bottom of the window opening."

Sounds like what Static's dealer did. And the fix was suggested by the Lexus district manager and field engineer.
Old 02-21-08, 09:12 PM
tC350
Driver

Originally Posted by Ms_RN1983
Just got a new 2008 ES350...no probs. I do have a quick question though...the security light that flashes red, is that suppose to flash whenever the car is off regardless of if the doors are locked or not?
It flashes red when the security system is ready, and stays on when armed(by locking the car with the black button on the doors)
Old 02-23-08, 08:32 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Like MD350 I had this TSIB work done on my car just last week. The entire dash is squeak and rattle free and I'm very happy with the work my dealer did.
Old 02-29-08, 06:35 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Default No Issues in my '08

Had it almost 4 months. Been exposed to extreme cold on a number of occasions. No creaks or rattles. Engine is very quiet and smooth under all starting and driving conditions. No trans flares noted eitherHope all continues to be well. Needless to say, I love this car at this point.

Quick Reply: 2008 ES-350 - Any mechnical Issues?