ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

chipping the ES350?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 12:03 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chipping the ES350?!

okay... so i was bored and looked up stuff on ebay for the ES350... i found typical things.. headlamps with broken tabs... HID kits.... mesh grill.... rims.... then i stumbled upon something i absolutely could not believe... a chip for the ES350 claims to have better mileage, increased power etc... not only that i came across some sort of vortex air flow thing you put inside the intake to "increase" mpg...

my question to everyone is... has anyone else heard of these items or better yet.. has anyone been brave enough to try these?

if that chip actually does work.... that would definitely improve the quality of the ES350... "lagg time" between foot on the gas and the time it take to pick up speed...

i just wanted to throw that information out there... hope i dont get hounded for making this thread or for posting such ridiculous topics..
Old 02-17-08, 06:13 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't believe a thing about the Vortex air flow devise. Swirling of the air fuel mixture to aid better atomization of the fuel has to occur as the air fuel mixture is entering the combustion chamber. Design of the intake runners, intake ports on the cylinder head and the combustion chamber itself effect fuel atomization.

As far as the chip...I would be beyond extremely skeptical, it's probably nothing but a couple of jumper wires that plug into PCM if I'm thinking of the ebay ad your referencing. Developing a chip for any car takes quite a bit of dyno time and test driving. The lag you feel in acceleration if probably the transmission figuring what to. Don't give the guy your money.
Old 02-17-08, 10:05 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Vortex air flow devices and similar devices have been on the market for what must be 50 years and have never been shown to be of any value.

As for the chips I don't believe the market for ES350 chips would be big enough to justify the cost of developing a real chip and wouldn't expect any real gain in performance or economy - just a reason (and probably justifiable) for your dealer to deny warranty claims if anything happens.

Save your money.

Dave Mac
Old 02-19-08, 11:22 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you being serious? It's hard to tell on the internet.

The stuff's been around for so long and has long been debunked. Then again, the stuff is so cheap, many people buy it without researching it first.

My personal favorite is the Tornado. I actually bought it back in the day when I was young and impressionable (well moreso than now). Company is based in my hometown so I thought I'd support a local company. Was inexpensive so I figured it couldn't hurt.

I imagine a chip might be a bit pricey though.

If you are being serious, use common sense. If this stuff worked, it would come stock with the car. Car manufacturers would kill to bump mileage 10% if they could with a simple modification. That's why those Vortex thingies are easily debunked (they've done tests and they don't do crap). A chip might work, but it's a give and take situation. A chip might get you more horsepower, but it's going to sacrifice mileage. Or, the other way around. It's not going to give you both. A car company has programmed its computer to give you what they think is the ideal balance btw power and mileage. You can rejigger the settings to skew things one way or another, but if a few lines of code could give you both, don't you think a company that spends billions on developing an engine would have added those lines in?