ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Navigation Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 04:52 AM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Calibration

A while back on this forum there was a discussion about calibration. My home address puts me at a location about 4 houses from my home. This holds true for other programmed locations. I have used the calibration function to locate the actual location for my home. However, the system promptly goes back to the wrong location. Has anybody had a similar experience?

I have also noted that this was not true with my old 5.1 navigation disc. I had accurate locations. The old system would also tell me that "You have arrived at your destination." The new 7.1 disc does not make any announcement. Perhaps it's because it thinks you have not arrived because of its faulty location. I would suggest that you do not upgrade unless you are looking for newer POI's.
Old 02-18-08, 07:35 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the v7.1 disk in my ES350 and have not observed the problem you described. Note that all nav systems interpolate addresses based on a few known points on the street, and if house lots are not of uniform size, the system will not get you to exactly the right house, but it will get you pretty close. Also, the system is designed to tell you you've arrived at your destination just before you actually do, so you have time to react and make the turn.
Old 02-18-08, 07:37 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gappell
A while back on this forum there was a discussion about calibration. My home address puts me at a location about 4 houses from my home. This holds true for other programmed locations. I have used the calibration function to locate the actual location for my home. However, the system promptly goes back to the wrong location. Has anybody had a similar experience?

I have also noted that this was not true with my old 5.1 navigation disc. I had accurate locations. The old system would also tell me that "You have arrived at your destination." The new 7.1 disc does not make any announcement. Perhaps it's because it thinks you have not arrived because of its faulty location. I would suggest that you do not upgrade unless you are looking for newer POI's.
Yep, I have 5.1 and it puts me about 4 houses away from my home as well. In fact, all destinations are off.