ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2008 Windshield noise, fixed by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 07:18 AM
sugarlsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Windshield noise, fixed by dealer

Unfortunately, Lexus did not make changes to the 08 ES to address the windshield noise problem. The car did not do it on my test drive, but when I got on a slightly bumpy road, different places around the windshield would make noise. The noise sounds more like a tick, or click than a rattle. It is almost the sound that a wedding ring would make when tapped against the glass. There is a SB out on the 07's, but not the 08's.

My car has 2000 miles on it, and I noticed this problem right away. My wife took it to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate it. I sent them an email, telling them to look up the 07 SB, giving them the exact number. I then set up an appointment for the rep to go with me on a drive. I knew exactly the road to go on where the problem would occur at its worst! They immediately admitted that I was correct and fixed it. VERY, VERY GOOD SERVICE FROM KUNI LEXUS, CO.

I now have a quiet car that I am very happy with. The fix involves taking out the windshield and then taking out the pins or clips that are used to line up the windshield, (these pins are left in there to rattle away). IMHO it is just plain bad business for Lexus to produce their cars with this problem when they are fully aware of the problem. It gives the cars a reputation of being noisy rattle makers.

Does your car have this problem? Simple check, when you hit a bump or are on a rough road, are you getting really annoying clicks, ticks, taps, coming from around the windshield? Don't confuse them with sounds coming from the dash. If you are really unhappy about the rattles in your car I am willing to bet this is the problem.

Keep in mind that any car will make some noise when you hit a bad bump. This sound would sometimes duplicate itself into a rattle. This is not just a one time tap.

I love the car. I have had no other problems. I do agree the sound system should be better, but I really think this is a very minor flaw in an overall fantastic car. I have had no tranny flairs, and no engine noise (even in very cold weather). I drive a lot of different cars, and if you are looking for a luxury ride, nice and smooth speed, and a well sized back seat, I highly recommend you test drive this car. I thought this car was much more impressive than the Avalon, Lincoln, BMW 3 series, or IS. Keep in mind I was looking for more of a luxury ride, not the performance ride. The C-class MB, and the Infinity M were comparable, but the C was too small and the M was too pricey. I would also consider driving an Infinity G, which is also a very nice car.
Old 02-18-08, 09:16 AM
brio
Driver School Candidate

I have been silent on this forum for over a year and your entry sparked my response. I too have had my windshield fixed. After being fixed, it was quiet in the warmth of summer, but now in the cold Toronto winter, it makes a lot of noise on cold days. There are numerous noises from the top of the dashboard. This noise in combination with the severely ticking motor (which is very loud when the engine is cold) make this car sound like a piece of junk. I am so disappointed in this car.

My old Lexus ES300 had good all around visibility, a nimble size and suspension, and was very quiet without any rattles. The ergonomics were excellent and more thoughtful than this model. I still struggle to find the map light and Homelink button at night. What idiot made all these overhead buttons flat, monocromatic and unlit?

My wife says that this Lexus reminds her of our old Buick Park Ave. It was a sloppy luxury crusier that had too many quality issues to mention. I will not buy another Lexus. We also have a Mercedes C320 wagon and I will go for the new Mercedes C300 when this car goes next year. The only people I see driving the ES350 are seniors and they have trouble navigating because of the poor side and rear visibility. Perhaps I'm not old enough for this model?
Old 02-18-08, 10:42 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sugarlsu
The fix involves taking out the windshield and then taking out the pins or clips that are used to line up the windshield, (these pins are left in there to rattle away). IMHO it is just plain bad business for Lexus to produce their cars with this problem when they are fully aware of the problem. It gives the cars a reputation of being noisy rattle makers.
This is what I find so hard to understand...Lexus knows about this and other problems whose "fix" is so simple, but refuse to do so leading to customer frustration/dissatisfaction and bad reviews which ultimately hurt their reputation and business. Has Lexus/Toyota become so large/successful that they just don't care and choose to "rest on their laurels"? Seems this is the start of the slippery slope which prevailed at other once successful auto manufacturers. I got rid of my ES350 within four months because of quality concerns.
Old 02-21-08, 05:53 PM
jgtile
Driver

So far with about 1500 miles on my 08 ES UL, I have only had random (about 3 times) a "creaking" from the top of the dash (sounds like the passenger side). Not sure if it is wind noise or because it is cold here in PA, the cold has done something with the tolerances. It has not happened all the time so for now, it is not a big issue. I hope that if it becomes a bigger issue, the dealer will fix it like yours! Please keep your fingers crossed!