ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus ES350 vs Lexus ES330 and ES300 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08 | 09:22 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
Present in a car you had experience in one year ago...

My experiences of a year ago are as relevant today as they were in the period. If there was not relevancy I would not post.

I have and do offer up solutions for things like wind noise, methods of getting rid of rattles for both ES and GS owners <--A pillar to dash rattles, wind noise or other noise remedy for LS owners, to cite a few examples and they are as relevant today based on actual ES350 shortcomings as they were a year ago based on 08 owners reporting the same issues.

To put this in context of the subject question by OP of this thread, like the character Schultz of Hogan's Heroes, with an ES 300 instead of an ES 350, I know nothing, nothing..... where issues are concerned...and I think that answers his question.
Old 03-02-08 | 10:46 AM
Gumball
Driver School Candidate

Default Haven't needed ES350Bob's advise to date

My July 06 build ES 350 UL has been an amazingly reliable car with NONE of the issues that ES350Bob has posted for many many months. My car has performed well in Chicago's 08 brutal winter. Even the road salt hasn't touched it to date (of course Chicago ran out of salt in January).

Last edited by Gumball; 03-02-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-02-08 | 02:13 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gumball
My July 07 build ES 350 UL has been an amazingly reliable car with NONE of the issues that ES350Bob has posted for many many months. My car has performed well in Chicago's 08 brutal winter. Even the road salt hasn't touched it to date (of course Chicago ran out of salt in January).
Gumball's post mirrors my feeling almost exactly, but Ill update my post to be more explicit in my case:
"My March 06 build ES 350 UL has been an amazingly reliable car with NONE of the issues that ES350Bob has posted for many many months. My car has performed well in NYC's 08 so,so winter. Even the road salt hasn't touched it to date."
Old 03-02-08 | 03:19 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gumball
My July 07 build ES 350 UL has been an amazingly reliable car with NONE of the issues that ES350Bob has posted for many many months. My car has performed well in Chicago's 08 brutal winter. Even the road salt hasn't touched it to date (of course Chicago ran out of salt in January).
Good that you have not needed help with issues, as to advice from me, I would only offer that you consider changing the build date for your car you posted since for many, many months prior to the build date you indicate you were posting you had no issues with your car.
Old 03-02-08 | 03:30 PM
jgtile
Driver

Just my 2 cents with some of the issues I have had with my 08 ES350 UL. This is my first Lexus and I do like the car (my last kid graduated from college and this was MY graduation gift to myself).

I agree with MD350 that the UL is the way to go and I don't believe my neck/jaw need to be like a boa constrictor to enjoy the panoramic roof.

I do have some issues (minor though right now even though I only have 1800 miles on it). The nav system is great BUT I agree with MShybrid that Lexus should have something like the Hertz Neverlost system have to allow a "passenger" work the system while the car is in motion. Even with voice commands, would be nice to use the nav system in motion rather than pulling off the side of the road (which is more dangerous in my opinion). Also, the inside ticking noise is annoying but mine has only happened when the outside temp has been in the 20s or below. Other than that, I think the inside is extremely quiet. The one last thing is the transmission....at 20 mph in decelleration it appears to "upshift". But I have gotten used to it since it has helped in several situations (snow and on hilly terrain)....so it is not as bad as I first thought.

Well, there are some of the good, bad, and no ugly....but overall I still like my Lexus. I do hope though that Lexus gets back to their roots of not having these minor issues. Consumer Report (and others) are hitting them since they are growing so big and having more issues. Even the CEO of Toyota/Lexus stated that their growing pains have resulted in more issues (this was in an interview I read somewhere that I can't remember...by the way, does anyone have a link to it? I haven't been able to find it). Anyway, my 2 cents also!
Old 03-02-08 | 03:45 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgtile

I agree with MD350 that the UL is the way to go and I don't believe my neck/jaw need to be like a boa constrictor to enjoy the panoramic roof.

LOL...jgtile,

That was only me busting MD with the boa comment, I was not being serious at all. I'll hunt for the links you were asking about.
Old 03-02-08 | 03:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
Gumball's post mirrors my feeling almost exactly, but Ill update my post to be more explicit in my case:
"My March 06 build ES 350 UL has been an amazingly reliable car with NONE of the issues that ES350Bob has posted for many many months. My car has performed well in NYC's 08 so,so winter. Even the road salt hasn't touched it to date."
My experience mirrors yours and Gumball's. Insert 4/06 build date for mine. My winter mirrors Gumball's too. When will it end?

While we're updating things, some members might want to update their profile.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-02-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-04-08 | 08:23 PM
boater418
Driver School Candidate

Default No problems with '08 ES350

Originally Posted by Macklin
Bob, there is one thing I can always count one when I come to this forum. It's your continual bashing of the ES350....what a year after trading yours in? Come on dude! I'm sorry you got two problematic vehicles. Really I am. But should we have to be subjected to your continued bashing of this vehicle for year(s) after you moved on? To a Honda!

We live and learn. I have learned not to ever buy a completely redesigned car in it's first year. Yes, mine has some of the issues we have all heard so much about. Nothing major thank goodness. Even the flare has almost disappeared. But, Lexus is addressing these issues and by most accounts has done a good job of it.

So why do you continue to pound us with your bad experience with your two vehicles...OVER A YEAR AGO!

Life is short! Get over it...before you have a heart attack!
I have a 2008 ES350 which exhibits NONE of the complaints mentioned in these postings, so I assume that vast majority of the problems were due to first year growing pains for the re-design. No flairing, rattles, knocks, vibrations, etc. I'm glad that I didn't read these postings prior to purchasing the car!
Old 03-04-08 | 08:51 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

From experience and cyber-surfing, I've come to believe that all cars have these problems, and that the previous-generation ES300/330 had a similar set of early-build issues. The transmission issue is one that has plagued Toyota/Lexus V6 cars for some time, so it should not be unique to the 2007 ES350 and the current Camry.

Although only 3 weeks old, my 2008 ES350 has yet to exhibit any quality problems. Wind noise is minimal even at frightening speeds. The engine tapping is soft enough that I would not have noticed it if I weren't already listening for it.
Old 03-05-08 | 08:36 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boater418
I have a 2008 ES350 which exhibits NONE of the complaints mentioned in these postings, so I assume that vast majority of the problems were due to first year growing pains for the re-design. No flairing, rattles, knocks, vibrations, etc. I'm glad that I didn't read these postings prior to purchasing the car!
I believe the sentiment you expressed would be similar if after purchase you had picked up a Consumer Reports, J.D. Power or visited other auto forums with similar content as here.

The wealth of data here is a plus in my opinion in contrast to seeing just a score or very limited detail on an issue impacting a particular model.

The plus here is you get to see for yourself actual details behind circumstances that cause rating drops but that does not mean that if you have a car that has no issues whatsoever it will get them.
Old 03-05-08 | 11:01 AM
n2cars
Driver School Candidate

I refer to www.carreview.com often when looking at car alternatives. From what I remember, several owners had bad things to say about the ES330 trannys as well. Everybody loved the ES300.
Old 03-05-08 | 11:16 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by n2cars
I refer to www.carreview.com often when looking at car alternatives. From what I remember, several owners had bad things to say about the ES330 trannys as well. Everybody loved the ES300.
Not me! I had a 2003 ES300 and I traded it in for the ES350 all because I hated the transmission. Basically, Lexus used the same type of transmission from '02 thru '06.
Old 03-06-08 | 04:48 PM
jgtile
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
LOL...jgtile,

That was only me busting MD with the boa comment, I was not being serious at all. I'll hunt for the links you were asking about.
Well, ES350Bob, I have a short fat neck but I do eat rats! Ha ha. I am looking for the links also.

As to issues with the ES350, I just bought an 08 and I think there are remnants of the issues stated here, but I don't think as bad (or I would hate my new Lexus and I really do like it!).
Old 03-07-08 | 06:24 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgtile
Consumer Report (and others) are hitting them since they are growing so big and having more issues. Even the CEO of Toyota/Lexus stated that their growing pains have resulted in more issues (this was in an interview I read somewhere that I can't remember...by the way, does anyone have a link to it? I haven't been able to find it). Anyway, my 2 cents also!
jgtile,

Sorry for the delay...I think this is the article you meant, Watanabe is not offering up few vehicles with issues and seems would be very open to input/advice on getting a grip on issues and a means of resolving them quickly. The Lexus dealers on quality concerns article link can be found on page 22 of problems with ES350 poll and Passionate pursuit on JD Power-ES is here for you too.

Watanabe on quality plea:
By MICHELINE MAYNARD
Published: January 15, 2008
Correction Appended
DETROIT — In his first visit to the Detroit auto show since becoming Toyota’s president in 2005, Katsuaki Watanabe used this very public forum to convey a passionate plea to his employees on Monday to take personal responsibility for the quality of Toyota cars and trucks.

“Each individual must carry the responsibility” for ensuring quality, from design to manufacturing and selling cars and trucks, Mr. Watanabe said.

Speaking through an interpreter, Mr. Watanabe said the dictate was “something that’s really shameful for us to share with you.”

The discussions surprised journalists here, who expect executives to keep to scripts that extol the virtues of their newest models and concept cars...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/business/15auto.html

Lexus Dealer on quality concerns:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...236162&page=22

Pasionate Pursuit on JD Power:
http://thepassionatepursuit.com/category/es350/page/2/

Last edited by ES350Bob; 03-07-08 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-07-08 | 05:52 PM
jgtile
Driver

Thanks ES350Bob!!! Here is another one that I found:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...0/b4024074.htm

Quick Reply: Lexus ES350 vs Lexus ES330 and ES300 - Questions