ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus ES350 vs Lexus ES330 and ES300 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 03:12 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Lexus ES350 vs Lexus ES330 and ES300 - Questions

I've been reading a lot that people are unhappy with their ES350s compared to their older 330 and 300 models.. I understand that most people are probably VERY happy with their 350s.

I'd like to hear from the people with complaints... What has changed for the worse?
Old 02-29-08, 03:17 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have not had the pleasure of owning a ES330, but I have seen them on the road frequently. Although there have been people saying they have had problems with the 350, I have not, but I could be in the minority here. Nothing but a pleasureful experience from lexus in my new car. I do have to say I much rather like the exterior styling of the 350 than the 330, but i have heard the 330 has a much better interior.
Old 02-29-08, 03:37 PM
gulffishin
Driver

I have an 03 ES300 which is essentially an ES330 and my mother has an 08 ES350. I will agree that the interior (dash, trim etc) is nicer on the 330, but the seats are nicer on the 350. However this is just my .02.
Old 02-29-08, 04:22 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an 04 Sienna that had the same 3.3L engine as the 330. I also owned an 01 Sienna with the 3.0L engine, same as the 300. I do love the 3.5 liter engine the best. I don't like the cold engine piston slap on the engine. I don't like the numerous rattles that plagued the car (now fixed after several warranty visits). I don't like the transmission, it flares.

I do like the MPG, the size, the ride, the NAV and sound system on the UL package. I like the safety features, and the glass roof on the UL. I also love the power with the 3.5L engine

If Lexus could fix these quality issues from the start, it is a hell of a buy.

It is worth the extra $$ for the UL if you can afford it.
Old 03-01-08, 06:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350

It is worth the extra $$ for the UL if you can afford it.
Hey, wait a minute, for the UL don't you have to have the neck and jaw structure/flexibility of a Boa Constrictor to be able to enjoy a view out that UL roof?
Old 03-01-08, 06:23 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I've been reading a lot that people are unhappy with their ES350s compared to their older 330 and 300 models.. I understand that most people are probably VERY happy with their 350s.

I'd like to hear from the people with complaints... What has changed for the worse?

The 350 cannot hold a candle to the 300, excluding extra horsepower and modernization of what is offered as to things like NAV, stereo systems etc.

ES300...No wind noise, no engine idle clacking noise, no engine knocking tapping under accel as supposedly something normal, no trans slipping-learning, no vibration...and that is the short list. And more revealing IMO, is if you did go complain about any of the mentioned with an ES 300 they would know something had gone wrong with the car not try to convince you it's learning or in any way normal.
Old 03-01-08, 07:37 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
The 350 cannot hold a candle to the 300, excluding extra horsepower and modernization of what is offered as to things like NAV, stereo systems etc.

ES300...No wind noise, no engine idle clacking noise, no engine knocking tapping under accel as supposedly something normal, no trans slipping-learning, no vibration...and that is the short list. And more revealing IMO, is if you did go complain about any of the mentioned with an ES 300 they would know something had gone wrong with the car not try to convince you it's learning or in any way normal.
The ES300/330 vehicles with the 5-speed transmission, however, have that annoying intermittent (unpredictable) delay between when you hit the gas and when the car actually moves. I'll take the flare over that any day. I do agree that the ES330 has a quieter engine, less wind noise, and less road noise (could be due to tire differences for all I know, but the wife's 330 is quieter than my 350). One other thing: The 330 doesn't have the strong vibration in the steering wheel when idling in gear that the 350 has -- something I'd expect and accept on a Hyundai Accent or Elantra but not a Lexus.
Old 03-01-08, 07:51 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
The ES300/330 vehicles with the 5-speed transmission, however, have that annoying intermittent (unpredictable) delay between when you hit the gas and when the car actually moves. I'll take the flare over that any day. I do agree that the ES330 has a quieter engine, less wind noise, and less road noise (could be due to tire differences for all I know, but the wife's 330 is quieter than my 350). One other thing: The 330 doesn't have the strong vibration in the steering wheel when idling in gear that the 350 has -- something I'd expect and accept on a Hyundai Accent or Elantra but not a Lexus.
I forgot to mention, only because they do not bother me as they do some, but never a single rattle ever in either of my 2 300 each owned and operated over 5 years, no glass screeching/rattle sound or other rattles EVER. So they can make them without those.

As for delay of 300 (1999 year 300) when hitting gas....I only noticed that when I moved to a more congested area, mentioned it to service and they reflashed my car, hesitation gone.

The 350 has rolling hesitation as you describe though you may not have experienced it yet, but believe me it is there.

And yes that vibration of 350 is one of the things that bothered me the most and which gets worse over time migrating to arm rests and floorboards. I did see a recent TSIB for that but sure it only came about because too many complained as I had complained though initially was told it is normal
Old 03-01-08, 10:16 AM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

you have rattle?? take it to your dealer and they will get rid of it for you.. ask md350. Action man.. take it.
Old 03-01-08, 12:11 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, there is a TSIB on dash rattles. Take it in.
Old 03-01-08, 02:22 PM
Macklin
Advanced

And yes that vibration of 350 is one of the things that bothered me the most and which gets worse over time migrating to arm rests and floorboards. I did see a recent TSIB for that but sure it only came about because too many complained as I had complained though initially was told it is normal
Bob, there is one thing I can always count one when I come to this forum. It's your continual bashing of the ES350....what a year after trading yours in? Come on dude! I'm sorry you got two problematic vehicles. Really I am. But should we have to be subjected to your continued bashing of this vehicle for year(s) after you moved on? To a Honda!

We live and learn. I have learned not to ever buy a completely redesigned car in it's first year. Yes, mine has some of the issues we have all heard so much about. Nothing major thank goodness. Even the flare has almost disappeared. But, Lexus is addressing these issues and by most accounts has done a good job of it.

So why do you continue to pound us with your bad experience with your two vehicles...OVER A YEAR AGO!

Life is short! Get over it...before you have a heart attack!
Old 03-01-08, 03:39 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

mack,

I answered the following in quotes, something I feel I am very familiar with, what changed for the worse between the 300 and 350, it was not my intention to bash the car, at best or worst depending on perspective, "bash" what should not be present in the car in the first place.

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Old 03-01-08, 03:44 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the car / hate the cold engine knock and the need for a replacement transmission within a few thousand miles. Also hate no standard remote start and satellite radio "built in, integrated, ready to go". Also the OEM Michelins were shot in 8,000 miles. But, the car is a looker.......
Old 03-01-08, 03:54 PM
Macklin
Advanced

mack,

I answered the following in quotes, something I feel I am very familiar with, what changed for the worse between the 300 and 350, it was not my intention to bash the car, at best or worst depending on perspective, "bash" what should not be present in the car in the first place.
Present in a car you had experience in one year ago...
Old 03-01-08, 04:00 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

The only complaints with our UL is the Navigation system and being unable to access the dvd while in motion. Lexus needs to step up to the plate and make the Nav system as user friendly as the Garmin or some of the other stand alone systems as well as allow the passengers to view the dvd when wanted.
Other than that...we love ours.

Quick Reply: Lexus ES350 vs Lexus ES330 and ES300 - Questions