ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anyone up for ES convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 12:45 AM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone up for ES convertible?

As some of you guys know, there's an ongoing discussion about bringing ES upscale. Here's the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=341281

And if you read through the pages, you will see there are people mentioning about ES coupe/convertible.

Well, if Lexus really does make ES convertible, will you choose it over ES sedan? I personally don't like 2-door cars, so no hard choice for me. But ES convertible sounds like a really bizzare idea to me in the first place since ES generally wasn't designed for that purpose. What do you guys think?
Old 03-13-08, 01:12 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

like mentioned in the forum... ES is luxury... they'd have to completely redesign that car to make it sport or convertible...it'd be really weird have a "sporty" convertible that has that soft suspension.... as for coupe... that just knocks the ES down a class and makes it "ricer/tuner" status as much as i would love my ES to handle like a sports car out of the factory.. it just is not going to happen without aftermarket parts. ES is and will always be strictly a family/luxury car..... =/.... i want something sporty now.... =[
Old 03-13-08, 10:22 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
But ES convertible sounds like a really bizzare idea to me in the first place since ES generally wasn't designed for that purpose. What do you guys think?
Actually, it's not as hard or weird as you might think.

The ES is basically a fancy Camry. The Solara is a 2 door Camry. Even has a convertible version. Wouldn't be too hard for Toyota to turn the Solara convert into an ES convert. And it wouldn't be very sporty. Cruising convertibles (like the Chrysler Sebring) have a pretty good following. Not every 2 door has to be sporty to be popular.

It's prolly just a matter of sales projections. From what I understand, the Solara isn't a big seller. If it got bigger or demand for an ES coupe grew big enough, they'd prolly do it.

I don't see it happening though. 2 doors are not really in Toyota's plans in any major way. I mean, an ES convertible could fit in nicely as a cheaper version of the SC430 just like the ES is a cheaper version of the LS sedan. However, the SC430 is pretty small so an ES convertible would really tank sales of the already low selling SC. Too many factors against making an ES coupe/convertible.

I'd rather Toyota concentrate its resources on bringing back the Supra. Or even the Celica. The IS-F is plenty sporty enough to serve as the performance halo car for Lexus.