ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Standard Synthetic Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 09:08 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Synthetic Oil Change

I had my car serviced at the dealer last week. A few days later I received an email from the dealer with a survey that measured the service they provided. I answered the questions. At the end there was a box for "your comments".
I figure, here's my opportunity to see if anyone reads these. I asked "why an oil change on a Lexus ES350 is more expensive than on a Camry 350 engine".

The next day I got a call from the service manager with the following explanation:
There's more labor with the Lexus because of the engine cover
Lexus uses synthetic oil, Camry doesn't
A Lexus mechanic works at least 3 years as an assistant before he can become a certified "Lexus" mechanic. He, therefore, can see and catch issues that a non "Lexus mechanic" would not.
Bottom line, "your car is in better hands and the synthetic oil will help to keep your car running better and longer".

Any comments?

Last edited by OAKPLANK; 03-15-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 10:29 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's news to me!! I never heard that Lexus uses synthetic oil when servicing their cars. I think that the service manager is full of ******!
Old 03-15-08, 02:33 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't even think they should use synthetic oil without asking the customer and doubt if they use it on every oil change. I also don't think they have to train a mechanic for 3 years before he can change the oil on your car at $118per hour. I think the real difference in pricing is the higher labor rate and the costly but nice extra services like loaner cars, coffee, donuts whatever and I don't know why the guy couldn't have just told you that.

And if it makes you feel any better I find the cost of oil changes at my Lexus dealer reasonable and just half of what the nearby Infiniti dealer charges for the same service.

Dave Mac
Old 03-15-08, 03:01 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I think the real difference in pricing is the higher labor rate and the costly but nice extra services like loaner cars, coffee, donuts whatever and I don't know why the guy couldn't have just told you that.
I think it's just the loaner and nice lounge with freebies. My brother-in-law considered working for Lexus, but he would have had to take a decent sized pay cut. Toyota pays better, at least in the Bay Area of California.

And I haven't heard Lexus putting synthetic oil into our cars. That'd be news to me.
Old 03-15-08, 06:05 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK

The next day I got a call from the service manager with the following explanation:
There's more labor with the Lexus because of the engine cover
Lexus uses synthetic oil, Camry doesn't

Any comments?
That's BS. The engine cover does not have to come off to change the oil. The oil filler is accessible with the cover in place. If the dealer is doing inspections of other items that requires the engine cover to come off then that should be itemized on the work order and the service manger should ask you to authorize the work or it should be no charge. Just another money maker for the dealer.
Old 03-15-08, 06:08 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

I'm leaving for Virginia Beach tomorrow. When I come back, I'll get a hold of Lexus Canada and see what they have to say about the difference in price and my dealer using synthetic oil. I'm sure they will say two thing.
1) Each dealer sets his own price
2) Each dealer chooses their preferred oil.

I've got a question for the CL membership.
Can I tell the difference by looking at the oil on the dipstick?

oakplank
Old 03-15-08, 06:13 PM
gulffishin
Driver

I hate to pay that much for service as well, but in my experience it gives you some leverage in getting a part repaired after the warranty is up.
Old 03-16-08, 09:41 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 'free' 5K service was done with synthetic, I just paid $120 for the 10K service with 'semi synthetic'. My dealer offers those 2 options, or the standard oil, at the customers preference. I think I will switch 'down' to the standard oil at 15K as it looks just as clean coming out as it does going in.

I think the cost is a little high for the service, but I got an RX loaner with a full tank for over 24 hours, I put well over 300 miles on the loaner. When I got my car back, it was detailed in and out and most of winters traces were removed. Too bad it is going to snow about a foot by tomorrow night again!
Old 03-17-08, 12:53 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

geez... i wonder what a mechanic for Ferrari gets.... 5grand per oil change...HA...

any way, i built up a great rapport with my service consultant and i get free oil changes... =D then again he did warn me... " not alot of guys are like me... lexus is thinking of promoting me to manager... when they do... you most likely wont get the same kinds of deals your getting now... and also the guys that will be taking care of you will just try to sell you stuff.... oil changes, brake pads and tire rotation.... occasionally, new tires and new rotors.. that all you'll ever need"
Old 03-17-08, 11:05 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus themselves don't use synthetic oil for their cars. I guess each dealership can offer synthetic oil options if they want though. Changing the oil on a Lexus is do different than changing oil on the Camry. Takes about the same amount of time. It would have been nice to just hear them speak the truth for once. We charge more to change oil on a Lexus than Toyota because we can and our customers are willing to pay for it. That really is the truth
Old 03-17-08, 02:02 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

I changed the oil in my Lexus for the first time. Prior oil changes were done at the Lexus dealer. First time free, the second time 100.00. They didn't use 100% syn oil. I used Mobil 1 5-30. I found a broken ring in the oil canister when I changed the oil. Lexus ordered me a new one. Many people have complained that the engine is noisy at startup until it gets warm. Mine was noisy until I put the syn oil in it. It is much quieter now. I also drained 7 quarts out of the engine. It's suppose to be 6.4 I think.
Old 03-20-08, 05:50 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using Mobil One in mine after the first free oil change and still have the cold start up noise. Using time as the barometer for changing oil - 11,000 miles, three oil / filter changes - two with Mobil 1. Due for the next one 4/08.
Old 03-20-08, 10:31 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK
Can I tell the difference by looking at the oil on the dipstick?
The answer there is no. Only a chemical analysis will tell you if the oil is synthetic or not.
Old 03-20-08, 10:49 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

my dealer Prestige Lexus charges $150 for an oil change and they may do a tire rotation depending on visual inspection, not synthetic oil thats more but I never asked.

My fathers friend had a headlight replaced on his LS430 and they charged him $900
Old 03-20-08, 12:55 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

geez.... 9 bills... i busted my headlight on my ES... =[.... found a used one on ebay for $170.... ( better condition that my own headlights mind you that) free installation cause i did it with a friend... i just saved about a grand ... WOOT~!

Quick Reply: Standard Synthetic Oil Change