ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I am appalled at the amount of paint chipping on the hood and bumper on my Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 04:51 PM
harrington
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am appalled at the amount of paint chipping on the hood and bumper on my Lexus

Not even 2,500 miles on my Black Lexus and the hood and front bumper looks horrible. You can't tell me that their is not a problem with the paint on this car. I will be stopping off at the dealer tomorrow and am curious to what they will say. I'm sure they will tell me that is normal but the paint on this car is horrible in my opinion. You spend 40K on a car and then for it to look like this after only 2,500 miles on it makes me sick.
Old 03-16-08, 05:12 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

ha... yeah, im actually right there with you on this one. I just barey got over 5k miles, and the paint chips are geting noticable, some the clear bra would have prevented, other that would have been over the clear bra. Im not sure what you can do about it, they pushed pretty hard the clear bra installation, but it was around 1500 at that dealership, i think the tinting place where i got my windows done will do it for aroun 700, and this is the place the dealership takes it to get it done. I highly recommend the clear bra, i should have gotten it sooner.
Old 03-16-08, 05:46 PM
noserious
Driver School Candidate

No kidding. I have a 1999 Tahoe with big dents in the hood but the paint is intact.
Old 03-16-08, 06:33 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't pay anything close to $1500 for the bra. I had my 3m bra installed at the dealer (vendor) for about $600. Full front, bumper, partial hood, front fenders up to the front tires, and side mirrors.

Sorry to hear about your paint troubles.
Old 03-16-08, 08:20 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

try keeping away from large semi trucks on the freeway... they spray stuff in all sorts of directions.... you can also "remove" those paint chips... at the top of the club-lexus page go to sponsors in there, there is some company that has a product the basically covers up paint chips... seems pretty legit... lot of work doing it to each paint chip... its about $40... so its worth a shot?
Old 03-16-08, 10:09 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Chips

Just wondering if chipping on the hoods and bumpers on the ES is a common occurence and if the many owners have the clear bra. The Clear Bra was not mentioned by my dealer. Maybe I should have taken it as a clue (prior to purchase) on the Lexus Homepage (Build Your Lexus) where touch up paint was listed as an accessory. Maybe Lexus knows something that they are'nt readily sharing with their potential customers.
Old 03-16-08, 11:02 PM
Yiujai86
Rookie

It is weird, I have no chips on my front bumper but I have like 4 chips on the side mirrors and 2 on the lower hood. No Clear bra ... :\

I'm looking to put on a clear bra since I had the hood replaced and bumper repainted
Old 03-17-08, 12:35 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

the paint chips i got were from tailgating.. and riding along side semi's ..... when i graduate college i'll give myself a present and repaint the whole car... (given that it's still in pristine condition) =D and also a complete detail top to bottom... =]
Old 03-17-08, 12:43 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus 1
Just wondering if chipping on the hoods and bumpers on the ES is a common occurence and if the many owners have the clear bra. The Clear Bra was not mentioned by my dealer. Maybe I should have taken it as a clue (prior to purchase) on the Lexus Homepage (Build Your Lexus) where touch up paint was listed as an accessory. Maybe Lexus knows something that they are'nt readily sharing with their potential customers.
sorry, all i have to say is that you're thinking wayyy too much into it.... clear bras are for people who just fear having that first scratch on their car when they drive... or "accidentally" bump into their garage wall when pulling in... as far as touch up paint... every single car has touch up paint for it... unless its carbon fiber.. or non painted... then thats another story... touch-up paint are for the purpose of careless scratches that cannot be buffed out or a gashes you get from a run-in with a shopping cart (given the shopping cart wins)...

the paint is not a special soft compound lexus designed to reduce noise... etc... as i've read in forums in the past... (just noting that because some people actually think its true... same applies for windshields for windshield chips) rock chips are inevitable for any car... unless you you only drive solo on a track... or never drive it period.... "car care is all about covering up... (like make-up) it hides all the imperfections..." words of wisdom from my older brother...
Old 03-17-08, 10:42 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I tail gate, but am trying to cut back to avoid too many paint chips. It's a bad habit anyways, but a lot of people like to go slow in the left lane around here. This paint is NOT soft. At least the white color isn't.
Old 03-17-08, 10:59 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been known for quite a while that the paint on most cars including Lexus is really soft and prone to chipping. Look for this type of post in nearly every Lexus sub forum and you will see the same thing. My brand new 2004 RX330 within one month had more rock chips on the hood and front area of the car then any other car I have ever owned for 4+ years. My current 2002 BMW does have a few rock chips, but nowhere near the amount my Lexus did.

I'm not sure exactly when the paint got so soft, but my 99 LS400 has held up fairly well, and my older 93 ES300 as well as my parents 92 and 99 ES300 also has held up fairly well do date.

I personally don't believe it has anything to do with how close you are to the car in front, what roads you travel, or how low the car is. I've driving a lot of different cars on the same roads I travel for many years and only the later model Lexus has chipped paint so early and often.
Old 03-17-08, 03:34 PM
jgtile
Driver

I think it was detaildoc that told me (on this forum) that Lexus does not put on a clear coat. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Frankly, I haven't noticed this on my car...........but now I am afraid to look!!!! You guys are scaring me!! ha ha. But, it is what it is.
Old 03-17-08, 04:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgtile
I think it was detaildoc that told me (on this forum) that Lexus does not put on a clear coat. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Frankly, I haven't noticed this on my car...........but now I am afraid to look!!!! You guys are scaring me!! ha ha. But, it is what it is.
All Lexus cars currently have clear coat. Only the black cars from about 98-2000 didn't have clear. Not sure of the specific years but it was only a short while and only black. Anyway, that is not it. Part of the problem is the increasingly strict EPA regulations, and another part of the problem is just cutting cost somewhere IMHO. Like I said, even other brands are having issues like this, but my Lexus has been the worse, while the German cars seem to be the best lately.
Old 03-17-08, 08:27 PM
jgtile
Driver

Hey thanks CK6Speed. I am definitely not a tech person on cars just was wondering. So you say that my black 2008 Lexus does has clear coat on it? If so, good! I was worried. Of course, I still can't bring myself to look closely at my car for chips. But when winter is over here in PA, I am going to have to wash/wax it so I am sure I will see it then...maybe I will close my eyes...:-)
Old 03-18-08, 11:29 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Paint is not what it used to be due to environmental regulations. The guy who posted his Tahoe's paint is ok is benefitting from being up higher than cars. Stuff that hits your hood will go into his grille. Any newer car is going to get beat up with rock chips without some extra protection for the paint.

Quick Reply: I am appalled at the amount of paint chipping on the hood and bumper on my Lexus