ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Drove a 2008 ES for a week as my LS was getting fixed, just some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 11:48 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 2008 ES for a week as my LS was getting fixed, just some thoughts

To all the ES owners, It might sound like it, but I am not seriously dissing your car, just some observations. The seats are very hard and uncomfortable, do you find this as well? And the leather feels strange, almost synthetic. The keyless feature was pretty cool, I wish I had it. It was MUCH louder inside than an LS. BUt very attractive external design.

What I really want to know is, since you have spent your hard earned $$ on this car, and have put some miles on it are you happy with your purchase?

One funny note, I noticed a strong (compaired to my LS) rough idle in the ES, but as it was almost empty, I filled it up with 93 octaine gas, and it really smoothed out. I guess the people driving these loaners, have been using the cheap stuff at the gas pump.

I was just wondering what you think of your ES,
David
Old 03-22-08, 01:39 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I think this should be in the ES350 section...
Old 03-22-08, 01:46 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It most likely doesn't have the premium leather. I noticed that as well on all the newer es's. My 97' has nicer seats then a new one I looked at without the premium leather, It really is kinda sad. Many people have complained of rough, loud idle on 350's, not uncommon. Loudness a problem in the cabin? I don't think so. They sure are pretty though....
Old 03-25-08, 05:23 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Moved to the ES350 forum.
Old 03-25-08, 05:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

atl...,

I'm curious why you chose to post the thread in the 300/330 forum and how did you determine the loaner was an 08 rather than an 07?

Smoke...,

yes heard inside the cabin and a very common issue.
Old 03-25-08, 05:52 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish they had given me a LS460 as loaner when my ES350 was in for the transmission issues!
Old 03-25-08, 06:34 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The UL package ES350 has the same leather that your LS has. The loaners are not UL.
Old 03-25-08, 07:06 AM
jgtile
Driver

Originally Posted by Atl
To all the ES owners, It might sound like it, but I am not seriously dissing your car, just some observations. The seats are very hard and uncomfortable, do you find this as well? And the leather feels strange, almost synthetic. The keyless feature was pretty cool, I wish I had it. It was MUCH louder inside than an LS. BUt very attractive external design.

What I really want to know is, since you have spent your hard earned $$ on this car, and have put some miles on it are you happy with your purchase?

One funny note, I noticed a strong (compaired to my LS) rough idle in the ES, but as it was almost empty, I filled it up with 93 octaine gas, and it really smoothed out. I guess the people driving these loaners, have been using the cheap stuff at the gas pump.

I was just wondering what you think of your ES,
David
Hey Atl, not sure the differences between the LS and ES (since I have not driven an LS). But this is my first Lexus (08 ES350 UL with everything but the adaptive cruise control), and other than a few minor issues, I love the ride (quiet and comfort). Of course I am moving up from a Pontiac Bonneville (which I loved but it was not a Lexus). The few minor issues I have had is a slight transmission flare at 20mph and 40 mph. Also, some minor intermittent "creaking" noise on the passenger side interior. Hopefully at my 5000 mile check the dealer will fix these. As to the seats, my UL seats are wonderful!!! Even my wife commented that the seats were much more comfortable than another other car she has driven in. I also have checked the car using 89 octane vs. 93 and I don't see a noticeable difference in ride or performance. Also, I did a test run on mpg and I got 33.4 mpg on 93 octane and 33.2 mpg on 89 octane (it was much more windy the day I drove on 89...so it might have been that)...but overall great gas mileage for a 272hp car! So, as you can tell, so far (after about 3000 miles), I am happy.
Old 03-25-08, 09:47 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What year is the LS your comparing, the seats seem hard but I thought the seats in the LS430 where about the same, just did not find them as comfortable as I would have thought, no noise problems.

Overall the Lexus loaners seem to be the most beat on cars I've ever seen, even the salespeople have informed me that the customers beat the hell out of the cars, I don't know what it is about the people who destroy the loaners but everything from spilling coffee to severe parking lot damage to the body, but loaners are a good way to see what will hold up and what won't

the difference in smoothness of the engine when you put 93 in it would be more noticeable to someone who drives an LS, they say most people adapt to their cars, just for example, you drive on the cheap tires that come with the car for 20-30k and then you replace them with much better tires and realize how much greater the car rides, handles and brakes, same with the engine, continued use of regular the car is not running at the maximum performance so someone who is use to the most out of their cars and drives harder will notice a difference, at least I do.

Last edited by <VENOM>; 03-25-08 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 12:31 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

With my Lexus loaners (IS250 AWD and a RX350), I took both of them to the car wash, spent $15 for a wash in and out and then washed the inside of the windows again to get the streaking residue left behind. On the IS250AWD, I did remove the dealer sticker decal as a courtesy.....
Loaners should be treated as you would your own car. I had my two for weeks each.
Old 03-25-08, 03:48 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
With my Lexus loaners (IS250 AWD and a RX350), I took both of them to the car wash, spent $15 for a wash in and out and then washed the inside of the windows again to get the streaking residue left behind. On the IS250AWD, I did remove the dealer sticker decal as a courtesy.....
Loaners should be treated as you would your own car. I had my two for weeks each.
Props to you for being an awesome customer.

I really hope your dealership takes care of you.

Not saying the opposite about you other guys, though.
Old 03-25-08, 05:18 PM
ESDragon
Driver

Not everyone is as courtesy as you. When I had my 07 ES loaner, it was dirty and worst of all, it was smoke in.
Old 03-25-08, 06:02 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Right out of college, I worked for Hertz rent a car. Let me tell you, those cars get beat to hell. I, too, agree that loaners and rentals should be treated as if your own. I may not wash them , but I don't beat them up when I drive them. All loaners get parked in the garage just as my own car does.

By the way, at my dealer I told them their ES350 loaner's tranny flared. They did not seem to care and parked on the front line to be loaned out again. They could have made some money on a warranty claim for flashing it Oh well...
Old 03-25-08, 10:50 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I can compare my 350UL to my brothers 460L on these two items.

1. Leather is as supple in the ES, but seat design and comfort way better on the LS, although I am happy with the comfort of the ES seats.

2. Road noise is actually less in my ES. My brothers LS had some noise in the windshield area. Not much, but noticeable on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic. Overall, I would own an LS if I could justify the cost.
Old 03-26-08, 06:03 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

The cars were that filthy and I just can't drive a dirty car for too long. I used to work at Avis and the differences between locations and condition of the cars is amazing. The bigger the location, the worst. I once picked up a National Car Rental Cadillac. It was so dirty I took it to the car wash, spent $20 to get it washed / cleaned and when I returned the car four days later, I gave them the dated receipt (date / time just1 hour after I picked up the car). They credited me the $20.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2008 ES for a week as my LS was getting fixed, just some thoughts